Compared: Barbasol Arctic Chill versus Cool Menthol

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Ursa, May 30, 2016.

1. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

In the event that there are fans of the late, lamented Barbasol Cool Menthol out there wondering about the new Arctic Chill, I thought I would take a test shave using both. So here goes...

Today's test compares a recently-started can of Arctic Chill and a never-before-used can of Cool Menthol from my shave stash, which is now down to 9 cans. I shaved one side of my face with Cool Menthol, then the other with Arctic Chill Both were applied with a soaked, shaken-out Burma Shave boar brush in circular motions.

THE MENTHOL: Cool Menthol has more of a menthol kick than the new Arctic Chill. Not quite as intense as Foamy Menthol, but enough tingle to feel cool with a little burn along for the ride. The menthol in Arctic Chill exhibits a less intense menthol effect, and it's all chill with little tingle or burn. It also takes about a half minute on the face for the menthol in Arctic Chill to deliver its menthol punch; Cool Menthol goes to work immediately.

SHAVE QUALITY: Both delivered a flawless, nick-free shave with no razor burn and left my face feeling fairly well hydrated. Arctic Chill, to me, is a richer, creamier, more decadent cream than Cool Menthol. However, I did get a significantly closer shave using Cool Menthol.

FRAGRANCE: Completely dissimilar, Arctic Chill features much the same light, somewhat florid aroma of Barbasol Soothing Aloe; Cool Menthol tickles the nose with a soapy, menthol bouquet.

OVERALL: Arctic Chill is a welcome addition to the Barbasol lineup. For someone brand new to menthol looking for the convenience of a can, this could be just the ticket to start out with. Fans of the vintage Cool Menthol, or Foamy Menthol, may feel shortchanged by the lack of menthol intensity. But it's still worth a try--I only paid US$1.38 for my can of Arctic Chill. What have ya got to lose, really? Barbasol.JPG

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I use Arctic every once in a while, i like it. Finally found a can of Foamy and got to say I was let down by the menthol, was kinda weak. Maybe a bad can.

3. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

I think you may have gotten a bum can of Foamy. I unexpectedly found Foamy Menthol at my local KMart a couple of weeks ago and bought a can. The menthol is my can is rather more intense than either of the Barbasols, just as I remember it from years ago.

That said, I haven't been a regular user of Foamy since 1990 or so. Every can I bought back then shaved differently than the one it replaced. When lucky enough to score a good can of Foamy, it was glorious shaving--and that kept me coming back. I've found the little travel-sized cans of Foamy are often better than the standard cans.

Paul Turner likes this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

My shave today, and I liked it, and agree with how you rate it.

A question about shave closeness:

Did you use your dominant hand the whole time? If so, the results could be different on each side, due to the impossibility of reproducing identical angles and pressures.

gorgo2 likes this.
  5. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

That's a good point. When I shave later today I'll repeat the test, flip-flopping which sides I use each cream on.

It's not just the razor handling that's different, my facial hair is not the same colour and texture on each side, either. It didn't occur to me until just now that this could make a difference.

6. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Just redid the Barbasol comparo today, applying each cream to the opposite side of my face versus what was used yesterday.

Once again, the Cool Menthol yielded the closer shave of the two. That said, I used my trusty Slim DE today instead of yesterday's Sensor2 and got a much better shave today using either cream. Both results were excellent without qualification.

With Summer here, it's nice to know I won't have to worry anymore about depleting my valued stash of Cool Menthol. Arctic Chill is a more than worthy alternative.

Bama Samurai and gorgo2 like this.
  7. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The one and only time I tried any of the Barbasol foams was the original formula in the red, blue, and white can. I threw it out after the first shave. NEVER again.

Robyflexx likes this.
  8. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:happy097:

crackstar likes this.
  9. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I never had such a bad rash and irritation in my life from shaving. It was a fluke I was able to do two passes!

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I am lucky I guess, it doesn't irritate me. That sounds pretty bad, though.

(That was post 11k, if anyone is counting.)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    gorgo2 and Robyflexx like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Me either, I like the stuff, I just like Cremo Cooling better.

Oooh...I should mix the two...

Bama Samurai and Robyflexx like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

not soft enough???

gorgo2 and Robyflexx like this.
  13. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

When I started shaving as a teen, I used to butcher my face with just about every shaving cream and gel, especially Barbasol Sensitive Skin formula! I never bought another can of the stuff for perhaps 25 years.

The thing about using Barbasol is that your face must be absolutely wet when you apply it. Not just damp from washing and rinsing with a washcloth, but dripping wet from a handful of warm water applied to the face. Not using enough water invites a shaving disaster when using Barbasol...

Paul Turner and crackstar like this.
  14. Paul Turner

Hmmmmmm...never thought of that. If your face isn't wet enough, does it help the issue by holding Barbasol under the hot faucet-water and rotating it around?

15. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I absolutely love Barbasol shaving creams. It gives me every bit as good a shave as VDH Deluxe soap. Barbasol isn't nearly as slick as VDH Deluxe, but I always get a nick free and irritation free shave every time I use it. My prep is the exact same whether I'm use Barbasol or VDH soap. I soak my brush in hot water while I shower and shave immediately after. Big Barbasol fan here !!!

Paul Turner likes this.
  16. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I add a bit of water to a bowl and whip Barbasol to a nice lather. It's too thick and dry out of the can so a little water does wonders IMHO.

It's of course no match for a good soap or cream but certainly not bad either. I like it.

ilts likes this.
  17. Stoof2010

Stoof2010 New Member

So, is arctic chill discontinued now?

18. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Arctic Chill was discontinued not long after I started this thread. New Pacific Rush with caffeine and menthol has taken its place.

Around here (northern Michigan, USA), retailers just don't stock menthol shaving needs. Arctic Chill turned up exactly once at my local Meijer. Stores that carried the original Pacific Rush have not replaced it with the new caffeine/menthol version. Foamy Menthol could only by found at Kmart, which has been gone for years now.

I ended up ordering some Pacific Rush caffeine/menthol from barbasol.com and I'm glad I did--I got some of the last 10-ounce cans.

19. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Pacific Rush was my favorite.

Herm

20. Paul Turner

One of the cold ones just never worked for me....mighta been Pac Rush.