You just had a rough shave...now what?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by JR Reyes, Jun 8, 2016.

1. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Greetings fellow den members.

I'm not sure if a thread like this already exists, but I'm looking to see if you all have any tips/tricks/proven methods that you use or would recommend after having experienced a rough shave?

I'm sure we've all been there, and I think the information could help members of all experience levels.

So let's hear them...what do you guys do after a rough shave to help expedite the healing process?

2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I rub bacon drippings on the face of a voodoo doll of myself.

3. JR Reyes

and so it begins....lol

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Honestly, I can't recall a recent shave that I would consider rough. Now when I was first learning to SR shave, that's a different story.
    I would apply shea butter post-shave — which is an excellent soothing balm for any irritation I may have experienced from the shave. Not 100% shea, but a lotion made of 80% shea with almond oil, jojoba oil, etc.— very similar to this home made balm I made for my wife in 2013 Click here to see! Wonderful stuff for any post-shave tenderness!
    [​IMG]

5. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Cold water rinse... alum... Aveeno After Shave Lotion.

6. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Stop when you feel the blade start to fail. For me usually it's a dull blade so I replace it and get back in business. Some blades last half a shave. Some last 7 shaves. If it's a new soap I go to a milder blade and a adjustable razor that is almost closed and try to work with the soap. If the soap isn't working I pitch it.
    Other than that I splash a little witch hazel on my face to treat the skin and that stops mild razor burn. With major burn that hurts for more than a day I lay off shaving for a couple days and let the skin heal. I do the same for a bad sunburn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I have found that the most important thing to do is to make sure to go very easy on your next few shaves until you heal up. You can still get a nice, close shave without a lot of pressure or extra passes. The theme of your shaves after a rough shave should be caution and care. This is probably the most important thing to letting your skin heal up.

8. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

If it's a cut, I apply alum after the usual after shave. Just to stop the bleeding.

If it's irritation etc, I apply a homemade shea butter lotion bar after the usual after shave. It works wonders on the rough irritated spots.

9. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

I would recommend two things.

1) Use of an alum block immediately after the shave followed by a good balm or shea butter to rehydrate and protect the raw area of your face.
    2) Assess what went wrong in the first place

10. JR Reyes

Great info and tips gents...keep them coming.

I remember when I first started, I would use witch hazel along with Nivea Post shave balm. My wife also got me a sample of Origins Fire Fighter, which had witch hazel and aloe in it.

I will admit, that ever since I converted to straight razor shaving, my days of having an irritated neck are few and far between.

11. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Great suggestion. I also will change the blade, the razor, or both, just to get my mental well being back to a good place. I'll also try to let a bit extra time pass before the next shave to give my face a little ready. Of course, this is all assuming I have a bad shave, which never...ah, who am I kidding, it happens.

12. JR Reyes

Oh yeah....and Don't Chase the BABY!! Going back and adding multiple passes in an effort to force a BBS finish usually ends badly.

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Yup, but Cremo Moisturizer.

14. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Well, if the Witch Hazel and alcohol that's in my after shave don't work I have a nap. But honestly I can't remember when I had that rough of a shave

BeShaved and AGHisBBS like this.
  15. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Start with a close water rinse to help calm your skin, and then alum. After that use what ever concoction your heart desires. Next time slow down and a lite touch.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    BeShaved, AGHisBBS and JR Reyes like this.
  16. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Alum before Thayers. Rough shaves are always my fault. Thankfully they are few and far between. Either an edge not honed up to snuff or a 3? 4? Day old blade or too much pressure. Alum seems to work if it was really rough I may use a balm instead of a splash aftershave.

BeShaved, AGHisBBS and JR Reyes like this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Easiest fix.......grow a beard!

SafariScreenSnapz362.jpg

18. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

BeShaved, RyX and Robyflexx like this.
  19. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I like some cold water to help cool the burn. When I get to my next shave, I try to slow down and focus on technique, starting with a good lather. When using a DE, I would make sure to ride the cap and watch my angles.

BeShaved likes this.
  20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Witch Hazel then a Stirling balm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BeShaved likes this.