Question for “Senior” Wet-Shavers re: Whisker Growth

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Rufus T., Jun 9, 2016.

1. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

After a lifetime of carts, I switched to this great form of shaving (DEs, SEs and injectors) as learned through this wonderful website. A year into it my shaves, my shaves are closer and skin condition is better than ever.

My question is about whisker growth as we age.

I sported a beard of one type or another most of my adult life. But during my “clean-shaven” days, I shaved every workday and sporadically on weekends. On workdays I regularly had enough growth to justify shaving each day.

Fast forward to today. I just turned 60. I’ve been doing this type of shaving for a year. Started out with 3-pass shaves and then down to two. When I had experienced a one-pass BBS, I reacted as though I’d won the lottery. Lately, one-pass shaves are coming more frequently.

I’d like to think that this progression has more to do with my advancing technique.
    But I’m curious.

Do you guys my age and older think, or have info that may indicate, that as men reaching our "senior" years, our rate of facial hair production decreases?

(feel free to burst my bubble regarding - it’s just all about my fantastic technique and nothing else!)
    Cheers,
    RT

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    RaZorBurn123, twhite and Keithmax like this.
  2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

That's what my dad told me. He only shaved every two days once he reached seventy. He always wetshaved, by the way.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike and Rufus T. like this.
  3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

The only difference I have noticed is that shaving obviously turns black whiskers white.

wristwatchb, AGHisBBS, twhite and 7 others like this.
  4. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

+1

I knew I could count on you Chris!

cmorris357 likes this.
  5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

It probably has something to do with your declining near vision and that white hairs blend into the background more easily then black ones. :scared007:

6. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

This has been my experience as well.

Rufus T. likes this.
  7. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Okay, UNCLE! :happy068:
    I can see where this is heading already! :angry032:

I'm soooo glad all you young guys have excelled with your reading comprehension skills. :think002:

"Do you guys my age and older think, or have info that may indicate, that as men age our rate of facial hair production decreases?"

Sheesh, tough crowd!:lam:

:)

twhite, Keithmax, swarden43 and 2 others like this.
  8. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Having just turned 50, I can't say I've noticed any change in beard growth, but then again I wore a full beard for 25 of the last 30 years.

9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I've been wondering about this myself lately. White whiskers don't stand out as much, so that's part of it. However, I feel that beard growth has definitely slowed. I still need to shave every day, but it's not as heavy a growth compared to when I was younger.

Robyflexx and Rufus T. like this.
  10. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

Oh, I hope not. I'm nearing 41, and my lip curtain is just over 13" tip-to-tip. I have noticed some growth the past few months, but think it's terminal now....

I do plan on sporting a full beard, probably next spring, bUT it's salt & pepper now. My beard grows hella fast. I could be a daily shaver.

opsimath and Rufus T. like this.
  11. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Ask your question on a forum for seniors then

*ducks for cover*

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rufus T., RyX and richgem like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I'm 68 and a couple of months ago I quit shaving my chin to let a spot heal. I had a very nice goatee after a month. However, it was all white. I shaved it off. I have been doing two pass shaves for a couple of years, but recently, I find that one pass and touch ups give me a great shave.

Rufus T. likes this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Could be diet related. I switched to Cashew milk before beginning my wet shave experience. I take a daily 50+ chewable vitamin. I'm an opportunistic eater - fresh when available, variable by season.

While sifting thru google results for "science about nutrients needed for hair growth" One particular link listed foods that help rather than their magic pills or lotions.

I do enjoy everything on this list. It hasn't made any thing happen where I've lost hair, but my finger nails and beard grow well.

14. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

I'm 62, and I too have the salt & pepper beard, but I haven't noticed any slowdown in growth. I usually shave every other day now that I'm retired. I still look reasonably passable on day two, but if I skip TWO days I begin to look like Dr. House -- I have to say that I think the OP is right; we're just shaving better than we used to!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    Keithmax, Rufus T. and RyX like this.
  15. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I think mine is slowing down in growth. I recently decided to start back a goatee to go along with my bald head. I seem to recall a beard taking about 2 weeks to fill in and get past the derelict stage. Now it seem to take about a month before I realized that it filled in. Whether that is slower whisker growth or bad vision or poor memory is not clear to me. However, I do notice that the growth of hair in and on my ears and out of my nose has seemed to accelerate as well as eyebrows seeming to go wild and springing loose from the neat looking brow I've had for years...

opsimath, wristwatchb, twhite and 2 others like this.
  16. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

This would be my observations as well. I couldn't understand why the nice young girl at the office was complimenting me on my mustache, since I don't ever wear. A peak in the mirror showed all the hair coming out my nose. That definitely did not used to be there!:eek:

17. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I've noticed changes as well. At 68, the growth seems slower and not as full as it used to was.

I've switch to a milder razor which is easier on my face. Using the milder razor, I can still use a blade like the Astra SP with no problem. If I use a more aggressive razor, I use a milder blade such as a Viking's Sword. Either way, I get a nice comfortable shave though I no longer shoot for a BBS. A nice DFS or even a CCS (some days) is just fine with me. And I now take a day off about once a week from shaving which helps as well.

The older I get the more I realize that my body has changed and I'm trying to roll with the punches so to speak. I still have fun with shaving and have no plans to stop.

18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I eat every thing on that list and my hair and nails do grow fast. I'm 53 and have to shave daily and get a 5 o'clock shadow by 3:00.

Rufus T. and RyX like this.
  19. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I think in your case, most definitely, it’s just all about your fantastic technique and nothing else!
    I have heard some say that as they grow older that their beards grow thinner and slower....But I think that has more to do with health issues or maybe extreme age....

My beard always grew pretty fast, but it's definitely faster now than when I was younger...although the fact my whiskers are grey and white, I don't notice the growth as much...also with aging eye sight....sometimes I'm thinking my whiskers are thinner, and I'll put my glasses on and I realize they are actual thicker....ha,ha...

Also I think different seasons affect our beard growth....and also, I know my grey beard hairs are harder to slice through than my younger black whiskers were....These wirey grey hairs are a little barbed wirey....Thats why I just love these GEM Stainless Coated Blades....These blades absolutely HATE, wirey grey whiskers....one mild irritation free stroke with this new Damaskeen and the skin is shiney and looks like pre puberty....ha,ha...at lest in the path of that stroke....

I took care of my Pop til his passing....and my wife's Father aswell....Both had thick fast growing whiskers right through their 80's....I think those grey whiskers don't look as full because of the wirey nature of the hairs....Younger soft whiskers seem straighter and fluffier ....more likely to fill in the gaps just like when you just wash your head hair and buff dry with a towell.....There appears to be more hair because of how it stands up.....

Of course there could be a genetic propensity for some folks face hair to slow down with age....But from what I see with myself, my family and friends.....I think it's probably 110% your new found technique, great razors and blades...good lather, and highly tuned shaving chops, that are to be blamed for any lack of whiskers at your shave cave....};^))

Rufus T. and twhite like this.
  20. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I think your technique is the reason your growth seems slower too Poppi....
    Thats why a DFS seems cool to you now....Because your DFS is so much better now than a normal shave was, back before you REALLY learned how to shave....

I know now....when I get a dolphin smooth BBS, I don't need to shave the next day.....But if I skip a few days it catches up...ha,ha...It's just back when my beard was black....I didn't know how to get THAT close a BBS....I always needed a shave 8 hours later....It was the first time I shaved with my Slim adjustable on #9 with a good prep and a Perma-sharp Super, that I noticed, I really didn't need to shave the next day....Now with SE's and Injectors...I shave that close every day.....I think it might me some of what you're noticing...What do you think?

Rufus T., twhite and Troy M like this.