Hey Hey

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by R1Joel, Jun 11, 2016.

1. R1Joel

R1Joel New Member

Hey guys,
    Thought I'd sign up to a forum to gain some information and gain tips etc. :)
    Anyway I am 23 now, I started shaving when I was about 14-15. Up until about 3 months ago I was using cartridge razors and even disposables in my earlier days. I had no idea of any techniques and I'd shave in any direction until my face was smooth as possible.
    For some reason about 3 months ago I started getting razor bumps on the right side of my neck and pimples on my face after shaving. I changed blades on my razor thinking that was the issue but it wasn't, so I looked a little further and discovered shaving with the grain, against the grain etc. So I tried shaving with the grain, but still no luck. I was still getting bumps on my neck on the same side and several pimples.
    After this I decided to research deeper into the issue. I came up with alot of people recommending switching to a safety razor and using a shaving soap opposed to a gel that I was using. So I purchased a 'beginner' kit from a local online store here in Aus. The kit contained:
    • Feather Traditional razor
    • Feather Double Edge Stainless blades
    • Proraso Shaving Soap
    • HJM Muhle Brush
    First shave went really well. I lathered up fairly well. Not too thick but not too thin and shaved slowly and gently with the grain only. It was the most rewarding shave I have ever had and I was happy not to cut myself once. I finished with an alcohol free after shave and while it wasn't a perfectly smooth shave with only one pass with the grain I was happy.
    But two days later I checked my neck and on the same right hand side I had razor bumps. :( Not so bad as before but they are there. No pimples which is good but razor burn.
    Would this be down to technique? Did I miss something?
    I wash and exfoliate my face every night, I then use Witch Hazel Toner and then moisturiser.
    Other than that I am really happy to be in this side of the shaving world. I never knew it existed and I love seeing all the products that I hope to try out.
    I'll continue to read through the forum.

2. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Welcome to the den. This place has a ton of great information and is filled with members who are more than willing to help. Technique is a huge factor, and will improve with time.

You might want to check out the 30 day focus thread.

chrisbd, Lilan and NCoxSTL like this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Welcome. It will likely just take a little time to find your groove. Stick around, you'll get it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chrisbd and Lilan like this.
  4. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Hey, hey, and welcome. Pickled Northern said it well.

chrisbd, Lilan and Robyflexx like this.
  5. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Hi and welcome to TSD! Give it some time and take is slow and easy. You'll get there!

welcome.jpg

chrisbd, Carbide Mike and Lilan like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi, nice to meet you. I also had razor bumps and pimples from shaving. Switching to wet shaving cured the problem but it took time. As your technique improves the bumps and irritation will go away.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi!
    Maybe consider NOT exfoliating your face before the shave. That sharp piece of steel scraping across you face is not only taking off whiskers, but a layer of your face, as well. Leave the exfoliation to the razor.

8. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD!

I'd suggest getting a blade sampler and trying afew 'smoother' blades. The feather blades are among the sharpest on the market, but they don't seem to agree with everyone's face. The popular is a fairly light razor, so keeping the pressure light is going to be more technique sensitive. A heavier razor lets the user allow the weight of the razor 'do the work'.

Keep at it, and good luck!

chrisbd, Carbide Mike, Lilan and 2 others like this.
  9. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD! It may take a while to get technique down, don't give up it gets better.

10. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Welcome to TSD! Good to have you aboard. It'll get better I assure you.

11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It is a very light, mild razor. The temptation can be to apply more pressure and to keep going over the same spot. Resist the urges. You can get the shave you want, but it is all about form.

The super close shaves will come naturally with practice. For now, be happy with comfortable.

12. Lilan

Lilan Active Member

Welcome aboard, you will get there in no time! You are getting great advice!

chrisbd and Carbide Mike like this.
  13. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

14. simms623

simms623 Well-Known Member

As a lot of guys said, technique technique technique and a blade sampler. Just a reminder, no lather no pass.

Oh ya, Welcome to The Shave Den!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

chrisbd likes this.
  16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD "R1 Joel"

I hope you enjoy it here.

The one bad/good thing about "traditional" shaving is the multitude of options. The correct combination of technique and equipment will without doubt give you the ABSOLUTE BEST shaves of your life. But you do have to find that correct combination. Technique, Practice and Patience will give you the results you desire.:happy088:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  17. clancopolis

clancopolis Member

Hey x 2 -- I'm new with DE and initially interested in saving $moola$ and not getting married to blades/cartridges. It's been an awakening seeing and reading how deep a dive you can make into something that is a simple necessity. It can actually get fun. And for certain it is cheaper for me hands down...so success on that end.

This group / TSD second to none...I find myself just reading old posts and getting eager for the whiskers to come back daily. One thing that I did find on TSD is cold water shaving...I was already doing it and low & behold -- there is a following. It's for a lot of reasons I'd say but it does seem to cut down on irritation. I have a very basic DE and blades...and with which I have been able to shave with just cold water (albeit carefully but quickly) if in a hurry to get going or for a touch-up for whatever the reason. You'll find your groove -- everyone on this TSD team is experimenting every day, it's inherent :Animatedfrozensmily:

Have fun with it...
    ...s

18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @R1Joel . Glad you joined us.
    You now get to unlearn your cartridge habits. No pressing that DE to your face. More like using the razor to wipe away the lather. The angle you apply it to your face is also important. Start with the top flat against, handle straight out. As you make a pass tip the handle until the blade makes that sound. That's the right spot. It takes about 30 shaves to where this become your new habit and you have unlearned cart shaving.

Little or no pressure against your face.
    Ride the cap. (Where's @Bama Samurai when ya need him, got a link to that thread?)

Good luck & good shaves!

19. R1Joel

R1Joel New Member

Thanks so much for the welcomes and the tips everyone. Much appreciated. This must be a very active forum. Looks like I found the right place. :) I seen a blade sampler pack on the same place I bought my gear from. I might order it next week. It contains:
    • Astra Superior Platinum
    • Asco Super Stainless
    • Feather Hi-Stainless
    • Big Ben
    • Dorco Platinum Blue
    • Shark Super Stainless
    • Racer Super Stainless
    I think that should give me a great starting point. Although it will take me 2 months to sample them all. :happy097: The hair on my face is slow growing. I can get away with 1-2 shaves a week. Usually a week lately when I am waiting for the razor bumps to heal.
    Thanks again everyone. :)

chrisbd and RyX like this.
  20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Welcome to TSD :)

chrisbd likes this.