Do you celebrate holidays from different cultures/countries?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by The Weathered Strop, Jun 20, 2016.

1. So with 4th of July coming up, I was thinking of what to do with my partner this year. I am British by the way and live in the British Isles. My brother's partner happens to be from the States. A couple of years ago, shortly after I'd started seeing my partner, my brother had invited us to celebrate 4th of July with him and his partner. The night was pretty special, and I've been meaning to celebrate it again, missed it a couple times but hopefully this time I'll catch it.

It's difficult because it is something that is largely un-celebrated here, the day is never particularly remarkable. I do also tend to celebrate Burns' Night, a lot of my close family are Scottish. That's a little bit easier to celebrate here because of the somewhat large population of Scottish people here (at least, compared to the population of Americans).

So my question for you guys is, do you celebrate holidays from other countries and cultures, and why, and what is it like celebrating them where you live?

Given what is going on in the world at the moment, I thought it would be nice to take a moment to celebrate other cultures and what they offer.

Thanks!

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

St. Patrick's Day is a big event in the US although it is in honor of St Patrick the patron saint of Ireland. A reason for Irish and many non-Irish to get hammered with green beer or irish stout.
    Cinco de Mayo is another big event in the US—although I guarantee the majority of those asked would be unclear WHAT exactly is being celebrated and why. A reason for many non-Mexicans to get hammered with Mexican beer.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    America loves holidays. Well, the marketing companies do anyways.

But we are such a melting pot of cultures that any excuse for a party will suffice.

Paul Turner likes this.
  4. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

If I don't get the day off then it's not a holiday IMO. I'm a very shallow person.

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    You mean you don't celebrate National Donut Day? :eek:

RyX and Redfisher like this.
  6. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Like I said no day off, no party!

RyX and Queen of Blades like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Mardi Gras is the Big Thing in my area. That's the
    "Uh oh, here comes Lent. Better get the partying done right now" holiday.
    Ain't no party like a Fat Tuesday party. Although Rio seems to top New Orleans for pizzazz.

8. mhari_dubh

mhari_dubh Active Member

A few years ago, our Seattle Sounders had a lovely commentator named Arlo White. He has since returned to England to be the NBC Premiere League guy. As a Brit, henused to wish us a "Happy Tactical Retreat Day" on the 4th of July.

I've been known to celebrate St Patrick's Day (which is more American, really) and the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

Over the last couple of years I've thought about marking The Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos) because (this is weird to say) I like the perspective that's taken in regard to our loved ones who've passed on. Being Catholic - it seems to be a better way to mark All Saints and All Souls. Also...las calaveras (sugar skull designs) are sooo cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. I'd love to celebrate Mardi Gras. Here in Britain we have Shrove Tuesday wherein we eat pancakes all day (although technically crepes, imo) but that's really all our equivalent of Mardi Gras consists of - no festivals or parades, just pancakes.

I should mention that in Britain, pancakes aren't just a standard breakfast item. We don't casually eat pancakes, it's usually a special occasion for us. Well, for the English anyway. A bit different for the Scottish, they have nice thick stacks of pancakes like in America and tend to eat them more often than the English.

RyX likes this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Being a self-respecting New Yorker, I will celebrate darn near anything. (Lunar New Year is among my favorites outside my own culture.). Also, my husband & I are of different religions, which gives us dandy excuses to celebrate more holidays & give each other a couple of extra gifts.

RyX likes this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Do you celebrate holidays from different cultures/countries?

Nope. I barely notice the ones we have here. Never really did, even as a kid. Yeah, I buy presents because it's expected and take the girls out door to door on October 31st, and I'll watch fireworks on the 4th if it's convenient, but that's about it. Bah, humbug, etc.

RyX likes this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Would those Scottish ones happen to be oatmeal pancakes? LOVE 'EM. Can't have them too often but they're fantastic.

13. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

Here in Denmark we have "Fastelavn", or "Carnival" as it is known in other places (related to Mardi Gras according to the Wiki), where kids go trick or treating for creme filled buns , but in recent years Halloween has made its way into our stores. Now we have two days a year where children show up at our door threatening mischief unless they are bribed ;)
    All our holidays are from other cultures I suppose, as they are Christian. Most have their own local twist in the way that they are celebrated and some are celebrated with a mishmash of Christian and earlier pagan traditions e.g. Christmas.

Besides Halloween being a thing here now, businesses have started pushing Valentines Day and Black Friday as well (not real holidays, but still)

RyX, Paul Turner and tuxxdk like this.
  14. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Any excuse to push a sale seems reason enough to adapt yet another "thing" from the US.

Boy, I'm glad I don't work retail any longer... :D It's madness!

15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I bet that holiday is well celebrated at Dunkin Coffee(Oh, we have donuts here, too).