Fedoras, Pork Pies, Trilbys, What is Your Favorite Hat?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Bird Lives, Jan 18, 2015.

1. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

I read an article today on www.theartofmanliness.com in which the author claims "Of course, you can't pair a fedora with blue jeans and an oxford" (my paraphrase, fairly accurate). He thinks they should be worn with only dressier clothing. I disagree. Fedoras, especially straw spring and summer fedoras, pair well with a wide range of outfits. What do you think?

Bama Samurai and Robyflexx like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I agree with him, to the extent of wearing my felts with (at minimum) nicer golf-type slacks and button up shirts. To me, they just don't look right unless the rest of me is "dressier." Just one man's opinion. In The Sting, Paul Newman pulled off wearing a fedora with a wifebeater, but he was reclining in bed. And he was Paul Newman.

Straws fedoras with jeans? Yep, I have one ready to go now. But then I'm of the age I wear khakis out more often than not.

Addendum: if the felt fedora is an obvious beater that's not even pretending to be dressy anymore, then if a ballcap works with jeans, so will it.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    Billy Goatee likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I don't wear outfits.
    I wear clothes. I may wear a suit, a uniform, or a costume. But never an outfit. Women wear outfits. :p

Bama Samurai and Bird Lives like this.
  4. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I wear my hats....I wear them with whatever I have on at the time....Sure a great dress fedora looks great with a suit but it will look equally great with jeans and a casual .....Here, I wear my fur felts in the Summer...
    image.jpg
    image.jpg I refuse to let my hat dictate what I wear....It protects me from the Sun, wind, cold, or heat....Although I love this hat, it works for me , not the other way around...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

To paraphrase @swarden43 "It's your hat. Wear it your way."

6. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

It gets cold so I vote the Chullo or knitted hats of Peru as a winter hat. I like an Aussie style Akubra or similar for the hotter weather. Full brimmed protects the ears and neck.

Bird Lives likes this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Felt, maybe not, but more casual materials go with anything.

gorgo2 likes this.
  8. Bird Lives

I dig the last statement gorgo made here.....If a ball cap works.....Only I feel....if a ballcap works, so will a felt or straw fedora....You have to use common sense...I wouldn't wear a Blue Fedora with a black dress shirt and black pants, just sayin'....

But you see where I'm going with this....I also wouldn't wear a heavy felt when it's 100 degrees....but my lite felt Lock & Co. trilby is cooler than most straws....And in Australia folks wear Fur felt Akubras all year....folks who work outdoors....

As a side note....I think if would be cool if the military would switch from berets to fedoras.....can you imagine the psychological affect of a squad of paratroopers landing with trench coats and fedoras...like the Spirit...
    image.jpg
    What do you think?

gorgo2 likes this.
  9. Bird Lives

Seriously.....a fedora is as flexable as a baseball cap....more so because it can also be very dressy....But it doesn't have to be....I just googled people in fedoras not wearing suits...about a million pics popped up...most were exceptable...Heres....like the first hand full...
    image.jpg image.jpg
    Me at our Ski Lodge, khakis, sweater, hiking boots, ear muffs
    image.jpg
    Of course, the man....and no suit here...
    image.jpg
    image.jpeg
    And I dare anybody to have a problem with dis:
    image.jpg image.jpg
    Naaaah....with any imagination at all....you can make a fedora fit.....Suits...of course.....Jeans, Khakis,....easy....Come on folks....if the hat looks nice and you feel right in it.....A fedora is a snap to pull off....It's like wearing cologne.....It's when you make a costume out of it, that it may look a little attention getting...But thats true, with any accessory...

10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Landry wouldn't have looked right wearing that outfit at a Cowboys' game

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Right, no way I can do it here in N.C. I'm also in the minority that prefers some kind of cloth sweatband that will wick away at least some dampness. When it's cool out, leather is fine. But when it starts retaining sweat and feeling glued to my forehead it bugs me to no end.

I need post a pic of the straw (paper!) fedora I got at Dollar Tree last year. I've improved it somewhat.

12. Bird Lives

Which outfit? If it's one of the bottom two photos....if he looked THAT good in a t shirt and jeans..then I think he could have sold some posters aswell as game tickets....:happy097:

But I see what you mean......maybe guys need to stay away from those type of outfits and cameras at the sametime....fedora or no fedoras.....:lam:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  13. Bird Lives

I've been wearing a lite fur felt fedora all summer this year...but here in Seattle it doesn't get deathly hot like down south......Round here, my lite felt without a lining, but with a leather sweat band is fine...But like I said, here in Seattle....we have only had a handfull of days to pass the mid 80's all year....and then it drops to the 70's in the evenings...felt works in the PNW, no question....I like a nice staw too, but you have to be more careful with one....Someone move my Felt hat from a table top to a chair and someone else sat on it before I could grab it...I made them get up, took the hat and smacked it on my knee and it popped right back and looked perfect....if that had been a $1000 panama, it would have been toast...:shocked003:

I want one of these...
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    But neither one of these are under $100 and both are very delicate and if it rains.....forget it!
    But so cool looking....ala 1950's Hollywood......William Holden Cool
    image.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  14. rmcintyre84

This is a crappy picture, and maybe my bathroom isn't the best place to model a hat. This is a Stetson Milan I picked up on ebay. The season for straw hats is coming to an end, but I couldn't pass it up. Can you see the photo bomb?
    2016-09-15 07.25.36.jpg

Bird Lives and Robyflexx like this.
  15. Bird Lives

Your cat seems to be digging your new "Sky-piece"
    Classic Photo-Bomb :happy102:
    Great looking new milan....I know the new Stetson Milans aren't real straws, in the classic sense, but then, that's what makes them 10x's more durable...I think thats a very hip addition to your collection...I can see why you couldn't pass it up...

16. rmcintyre84

Sky-Piece. Never heard that before. Thanks.

17. rmcintyre84

Breaking out the Fall line-up. This is new for this year: a Stetson Roadster. We were at the Wine Land Festival at Montage Mountain Ski Resort near Scranton, PA.
    2016-10-01 17.26.07.jpg

GatorJoe and Bird Lives like this.
  18. Bird Lives

Very smart looking indeed Sir.....

19. rmcintyre84

Thank you.

20. rmcintyre84

How do you guys keep your hats, especially nice fedoras? I don't mean storage; what do you do with the ones you're not wearing at the moment? I've read that traditional hatracks can misshape a hat over time. I currently keep the hats I'm wearing on a couple shelves of.my bookcases, crown down. Suggestions?

Bird Lives likes this.