My Alum Block

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Jayaruh, Apr 6, 2016.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. The "women's" I have states potassium alum. That was the only reason I purchased it. I have a RazoRock alum block and before purchasing the crystal deodorant stick I checked to verify the type of alum - potassium.

Jayaruh likes this.
  2. swarden43

Do you use one for "finger grip"?

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Initially in my foray into the SR realm, I tried the fingertip alum application in order to make skin stretching easier. But I found after a number of shaves, it (the extra step with alum) wasn't really necessary.

Jayaruh likes this.
  4. swarden43

+1 for technique trumping tools!

gorgo2 likes this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The feedback is why I recommend Alum to newbies. Pain is a powerful teacher, it's immediate, and it's not subjective. My skin is more oily than dry, so Alum remains my front line astringent, in lieu of witch hazel.

Jayaruh and PanChango like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I use the block occasionally but have had really good luck with finely powdered alum mixed into my bottle of witch hazel. Just gotta give it a good shake first.

Jayaruh likes this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That's the one universal constant of wetshaving. It even trumps YMMV.

Jayaruh and swarden43 like this.
  8. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

The stinging sensation is great feedback. One of the reason I recommend an alum block to all beginners... and it's cheap as hell to boot! I still use it after every shave as I find it helps a lot with keeping my sin clear of the remaining bits of acne I never got rid of from my teenage years.

Jayaruh and Hodge like this.
  9. swarden43

I use prayer to clear my sin. :angelic007:
    So glad He's patient.

Jayaruh likes this.
  10. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

That's what i get writing in a hurry :)

Jayaruh likes this.
  11. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Amen.

12. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

I just picked up my first Alum block. I've been wet shaving 5+ years and have yet to try one out. I do love my Witch Hazel, but I want to see how this will preform.

And from this thread, it looks like Alum does have a long-life for many shaves.

Jayaruh and RyX like this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The few times I've needed it, the combo of a heavy spray of WH immediately followed up by the dry block rubbed on the WH has had an excellent effect.

Jayaruh likes this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Alum will let you know how you performed as well. I experiment with different blades or types of razors so my results vary. The past month has been mostly Gillette Fat Boy shaves. I can tell when a blade doesn't agree with my skin by the heat from the alum. Considering it's your first time, use a razor that you know well. The report from alum will be spectacular if your technique is off.

15. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I too am an alum block user. Apparently they are sold at Indian grocery stores. I have one a few miles away. So when my current block gives up the ghost, I'll check it out.

RyX and Jayaruh like this.
  16. RetLEO-07

:signs011:

RyX likes this.
  17. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Unless someone drops it.

18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I'm still using alum. I put a thick rubber band around it and it does make holding it easier.

alum_block12.jpg

RyX and RetLEO-07 like this.
  19. RetLEO-07

That's a neat tip! Gonna have to try that.

RyX and Jayaruh like this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

I was only using one side of my block. The other side developed sharp edges and got kind of crystallize. A little running water and rubbing with my thumb smoothed it out. Now I use both sides after every shave.

RetLEO-07 likes this.