Starting Shavette

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Kamen Tenshi, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Kamen Tenshi

Kamen Tenshi Going #1

I have not used a straight or shavette and I figured I would start with a shavette due to the convenience of the blades being just DE blades cut in half. So what are some nice disposable straights I could get for 30-70 bucks. Thanks guys!

2. AZWhiskers

AZWhiskers Active Member

Feather SS or Sam Seong. You can get a Feather SS for about $70. They are great razors period. I have a Dovo Shavette and it works but it is not the same as a real straight or the feather.

3. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I would look at the Parker shavette. It has a nice secure clamp that holds the blade secure. Also has good heft and feels like a straight. The learning curve is very severe. Tread with caution but not timidly and you will be fine.

Ed to say your target price should be sub $20.

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

That was my path.
    Shavettet --> Straight
    I've since read, heard, and experienced the difference. If you are considering learning to shave with a straight go for it. There are many subtle differences between the two. It may be easier to learn to straight shave considering the propensity for the shavette to bite. They do not take mistakes lightly. Not that a straight should be dismissed as "safe".
    Here's some good reading --> Click here

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

@Kamen Tenshi

Consider this quote from the link @RyX made -

The differences between a straight and a shavette razor. Shavettes are not entry level straights. They feel different, they shave differently, and aside from appearance, have almost nothing in common with a straight razor. Someone who wants to try straight razor shaving would be best advised to purchase a professionally honed used straight razor and an entry level strop. Does that mean shavettes don’t have any place in wet shaving? Of course they have a place, just not as a starter straight razor. Many people use shavettes to shave with, they just don’t kid themselves about what they are using. Straight razor shavers who choose not to take a regular safety razor with them when they travel often take a shavette along. Shavettes are lighter, have more rigid blades, shorter blade length and are more unforgiving of mistakes than a real straight razor. On the other hand, with a shavette, you do not have to spend time honing or stropping the blade.

Excellent read and excellent point, RyX!

6. Colonel_K

Colonel_K Well-Known Member

Don't forget the CJB Kamisori.

Slightly cheaper than the Sam Seong but just as good IMHO.

7. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I can recommend the Parker shavette and the Blue Beards Revenge shavette. Both work well, but as others have noted they are unforgiving of mistakes...and they do bite.

Spud, opsimath, Carbide Mike and 2 others like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you Steve @swarden43 for extracting the info I was pointing to. I knew it was there, but I was rushing out the door & didn't take the time to find the passage you pulled over.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Glad to help.

10. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

There have been some great names already mentioned here, but from personal experience (and abundant research beforehand), I have found the Dovo shavette to be the best, both shave-wise and value-wise. I challenge you to check it out online as well, dince most everyone seems to share this same opinion.

Runners up would be feather and parker.

DBart. and Billyfergie like this.
  11. Kamen Tenshi

Kamen Tenshi Going #1

Thanks everyone for the great tips and suggestions!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Billyfergie and RyX like this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

The Parker just gave me scars while the Dovo is mild for a shavette. The Dovo is a good choice plus you can use shaper blades or DE blades.

13. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I am very pleased with the ease of use with the Luxor notched shavette. Lee's razors $20 bucks. The notched feature protects the side edges of the blade so it is nick free, and beginner friendly. Once you have your technique down, you can move on to a exposed blade shavette. Dreadnought is a good one, My Parker eventually pulled the rivets thru the thin scales, but was nice while it lasted

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I would strongly suggest considering starting with a real straight razor. It's easier and safer than a shavette. They handle differently, and the techniques are subtly different.

Shavettes are lighter in mass than straights, and therefore not as stable. Also DE blades are quite unforgiving in an SR configuration. The pressure is also trickier.

That being said:

This is about ten bucks on amazon or eBay. It shaves really well. I have used it all week, and I would say start here. Don't spend big bucks to find out if you like it. [​IMG]

15. Kamen Tenshi

Kamen Tenshi Going #1

I was considering a real straight at first but the issue is they seem to cost quite a bit more from what I've seen and also requires honing which I have never done before. I'd need to get a strop as well and so I figured a shavette is a one purchase thing seeing as how I can just snap a blade in half and start shaving. If I could get a decent straight and strop (whetstone if I needed that from day one, I don't really know) for about $40-60 I'd be willing to start with that. If you have any recommendations.

Keithmax, RyX, Bama Samurai and 2 others like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

I partially learned on a Whipped Dog Sight Unseen. www.whippeddog.com

Highly recommend this site for a beginner razor. It will come to you shave ready. Don't worry about aesthetic stuff until you master the tool.

You need a razor and a paddle or inexpensive leather strop. Don't worry about honing. Let the pros do that for your first year. It's a different skill set. I suggest simply learning to strop and shave.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  17. Bama Samurai

Fixed the links

Carbide Mike likes this.
  18. Bama Samurai

It's like $68 for a strop kit and starter razor.

19. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

+ 1..I used a Feather Artist Club to begin with & Couldn't get a Shave out a Traditional SR when I Picked it Up & it was Shave Ready..They are Two Different Animals'..:angelic007:

Billy..:chores016:

20. cjw

cjw Active Member

Use shavetts all the time . I take a fine diamond hone and hit the two blade corners. Takes the bite out of them. Just takes a couple of strokes. Never had a real nick. But maybe years on a regular SR made the difference for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PickledNorthern and Keithmax like this.