Barbasol Brotherhood

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Bama Samurai, Jul 3, 2016.

1. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

Are you using Tapatalk or mobile browser?

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It probably is prohibited o/w I'd pay your costs and then some. Willing to try it out and give us a review?

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

For a can of foamed air? No, that's still more than I'd want to pay just to find out if I liked it.

cmorris357 likes this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Addendum for BamaT -- this and this indicate it's OK if shipped ground. I'm interested. :)

BamaT likes this.
  5. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

They're also good for dinosaur embryos.

BamaT likes this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Text the picture to yourself. Then save the received copy, it will be a smaller file.

BamaT, whiteboy_cannon and Erik Redd like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

9 July 2016

[​IMG]

BamaT, LaSalle82, Paul Turner and 2 others like this.
  8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That Stetson looks like a great find

Bama Samurai likes this.
  9. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Mobile browser. I tried cropping the pic until it was cutting out part of the subject. I may try it again, backing off a little more to give me more cropping room. It's an iPhone 6s, btw.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  10. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I originally texted it to my iPad, and tried to upload from there, but that was what didn't work.

11. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

If I can get by the post office before they close, I'll ask them to be sure. I'll go ahead and pick up the can in any event, we'll figure something out. I'll also keep my eyes open at some other stores.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    gorgo2 likes this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Send it as a text to your own phone number. It should compress it. Then save the received text copy on the phone before you send it to iPad.

13. Bama Samurai

The Tsd Web site limits upload site to 1000kb thru Safari. The Tapatalk app from iPad and iPhone will compress the file size automatically.

whiteboy_cannon and BamaT like this.
  14. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Ill stick to my shave soaps.

brit likes this.
  15. Bama Samurai

May they bring you bliss!

I am currently on a Barbasol kick as part of a blade project. It eliminates the variables of humidity on soap puck, water mineral content, soap ratio, and brush and lather technique. Reviews of gear and the subsequent evaluation takes on true objective meaning only in isolation.

How Barbasol got into the mix...there was a dare to shave with a CJB salon handle and Barbasol, it went down on the Ides of March. I am grateful the usual suspects didn't say WILLIAMS! That would have been cruel, as well as dangerous. Barbasol does add a safety factor for learning straights. It doesn't dry on the face very quickly, leaving the user with dry hands for most all of the shave.

Barbasol turned my notions upside down. Honestly, in terms of sheer performance, with a straight, Barbasol is better than most small batch/artisan soaps, and competes with mass market powerhouses like Proraso (Italy), La Toja (Spain), and Arko (Turkey) on that criteria alone. Canned goo is probably undeserving of its poor reputation. If evaluated in terms of per shave cost combined with consistency and performance, canned foam like Barbasol is as good as anything. If we're talking about DE shaves, I am shave soap all the way, as canned goo would clog most razor heads with my low angle technique.

A common gripe about canned foam is that it's "not natural." The word natural, on its face, conveys no indication of anything other than "not synthetic." Crude oil is "all natural," for example. So is Radon and snake venom. Natural can be simply a marketing ploy to convince a consumer that a tiny kitchen soap operation somewhere, selling through a web page, can compete in terms of performance and safety, with soap made by companies that have six floors of chemists working on perfecting soap.

My real thoughts on shave soap...the best shaves I've ever had were with Schick G/straights/shavettes and Route 66 or Arko. Route 66 is an artisan soap, Arko is used by Turkish barbers. 2015 was the year of the soap review thread, and I used to have SAD really really really bad. Like get the cold eye from Mrs. Samurai kind of bad. I am a cold water shaver, face latherer of shave sticks often, stunt shaving aficionado, and alum and old school barber AS junkie. Brush choice is generally L'Occitane Plisson synthetic(gen 3 fibers). I am not afraid to admit...Barbasol is pretty good stuff.

16. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I haven't used barbasol in so long...I honestly don't remember. I enjoy the "old-school" style of straight razors and shave soaps. I do use some croaps as well, however.
    I also like the scents, but they are very subjective. Arko performs well, but the scent reminds me of a urinal cake. Of course, d r harris Arlington also reminds me of that...

Bama Samurai likes this.
  17. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Now that's a testimony Barbasol should have on their webpage (and they do have testimonials on their web page)!

Here's what they say is in the stuff:

WATER
    STEARIC ACID (from animal or vegetable fats)
    TRIETHANOLAMINE (surfactant/detergent)
    ISOBUTANE (propellant)
    LAURETH-23 (surfactant, detergent, thickener, emulsifier)
    SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE (surfactant/detergent)
    PROPANE (propellant)
    FRAGRANCE

http://www.barbasol.com/Barbasol-Shaving-Cream.html

Chemically speaking, what there is substantially different from high end soaps and creams? (propellants not included of course) I'm guessing the detergents. I got no dog in this fight, I use 'em all.

19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

No hurry at all...I'm almost afraid to try it in case I really, really like it.

Bama Samurai and BamaT like this.
  20. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

I recommend Tapatalk. I have never needed to resize my photos. I have sometimes also use my SLR for my SOTDs and I trust transfer the files to my phone and use Tapatalk to post them
    Tapatalk will resize the photo on its own

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    Bama Samurai, BamaT and Robyflexx like this.