What is your DE razor "Holy Grail" or "Go-To"?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Straight razor dandy, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

As stated in the thread title, I would like to know what your holy grail and/or go-to DE razor is. If there is a "why" in there as well, that would be great.

Pics are even better.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    Jorvaljr likes this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I have a bunch of holy grails. But here are four that I actually own.
    image.jpeg
    Gillette English 58 Aristocrat
    Gillette president
    Gillette English Deluxe aristocrat
    Gillette American Deluxe aristocrat
    The "why", I love the design and aesthetics of each one. The only one I haven't shaved with is the president.. But they shave great!

My go to razors are:
    image.jpeg

The why: no matter what I get the best shaves with these two. I can always count on them to deliver solid shaves. I love them!

3. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Feather AS-D2.

Because it is sooooo smooth with the right blades. I never cut myself with this razor. When I am trying new brushes or soap I use this razor. If I try other razors I rotate this one in-between (so one week off, one week on). About the only other razors that I've tried that are as comfortable as this one is are a Gillette Tech and an New Type Long Comb (I know, open comb; go figure). But, the New Type is more aggressive (read: nicks) and the Tech doesn't seem to shave as close.
    IMG_1881.jpg

4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

My go to razor is the Barbasol Floating Head, it is just a fantastic shaver. My current un-obtained grail razor would be a Gillette President.

image.jpeg

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have no "go to", I don't do favorites. I use whatever comes up next in the rotation. I'm pretty hard core about that.
    I have 31 DEs in my rotation and all get used. Of those, three are Merkur HDs - a 34C, a 34G, and a 34C customized with a red mallee burl handle.
    The HD is the most consistent in giving my most comfortable shaves. I wouldn't hesitant to say I get BBS most often with an HD.

So why not use my HDs exclusively? I like the variety. I like pondering and contemplating the history of my razors, some near 70-80 years old.
    I have achieved BBS with every single one, but none as consistently, as I said, as my HDs.

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Can't say I regret that my go-to/grail has changed several times over the years...long handle SA, Damaskeene, Senator, Clix EZ Flo, '41 Ranger Tech, LC New, Schick E2, the Rolls...because each still has its place. For my money they're among the best ever.

Currently, though, and perhaps finally (but I always say that), the President.

I'd used contemporary Aristocrats and Diplomats before I got it so I knew what good to expect, but it has still been better than I expected.

The Prez, for me, has it all. Classy, elegant but understated looks, phenomenal finish, quality construction, just the right girth and knurling (not too fine, not too chunky), just the right heft, and very smooth but efficient shaves whatever blade I load.

It's a gentlemen's razor from a more civilized age. I can't recommend it enough. Hail to the Chief, baby.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If you tried the Diplomat, it is the same great shave. But for some reason (imo), as with the NEW, gold just does not do it the justice that rhodium or even bright nickel does for that razor.

8. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

There's a bunch I'd like to have
    Toggle
    Darwin
    Tradere
    Double ring
    Hone type 15

My go to
    Progress
    Fatboy
    Slim
    Stahly head
    Futur
    Super speed
    Matador
    Cadet
    I've got a bunch of nice ones, want a few as well.

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Just realized I don't think I have a grail anymore. There are always a few I would like to try if I had the chance, but nothing I must have. Interesting I didn't realize that till just now.

10. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

My go-too is a Single Ring, I haven't much thought about a grail razor for a while.

Maybe a Goodwill.

11. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, I have been pretty fortunate. I have scored many of my most desired razors. Such as;

Double Ring,
    46/47 Aristocrat,
    48-50 Aristocrat,
    Sheraton,
    Senator,
    34 US Aristocrat,
    36-39 US Aristocrat,
    40/41 Us Aristocrat,
    40/41 Milord,
    46/47 Milord,
    49-? uS Rocket,
    #77 set New RFB,
    #44 set New RFB,
    55 Diplomat,
    #66 English Aristocrat,
    New Belmont Deluxe,
    Various ABC sets,
    Numerous New LC sets,
    Numerous Old Type sets,
    Numerous Single Ring sets,
    And on and on. Each of the razors mentioned were at one time "Holy Grail " razors for me. Once I acquired them, I had a new "Holy Grail" within days that I lusted after.
    But through all this, I found a few razors I can use on a regular basis, and consider them my go-to razors. My favorite among them are the 1940's style Super Speed, all the Milords, 1946/47 Aristocrat, 55 Blue Tip, and my father's 52 Black Tip Super Speed, just to name a few.
    Needless to say, I like any Gillette! There are a few out there that I don't/haven't had, but I no longer lust after any. I'm pretty happy with my collection the way it stands.

12. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I haven't tried the Diplomat either. I thought I was over DE razors after using straights for a while, but getting this Barbasol has made me want to try them again. I may look at the Diplomat as well!

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Here are some of my favorites.
    '47 Aristocrat, '69 Black Beauty, '52 President, 30s English Goodwill, 30s NEW, '47 Superspeed, '47 BulletTip, Schick M Adjustable, Eversharp I Hydro-Magic
    47Aristocrat006a.jpg black_beauty07.jpg DSCF8444.JPG IMG_0013.JPG new12.jpg 47ss24s.jpg gembullettip7s.jpg Schick M_08.JPG schick-hm03s.jpg

14. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I am mainly a straight guy. When I pull out a DE for a Sunday I like any of my razors I have kept. They all work well and deliver a good shave. If I had to rank them I am not sure what the criteria would be.

Feather AsD2
    Mergress
    ATT (I like the M2 plate best)
    Fatboy
    Slim
    New long comb
    Muhle R41
    Rockwell
    Merkur 38c
    Black Beauty
    Aristocrat
    EJ De89

Not in any order.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  15. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I still love my Merkur long handle. Its just such a nice, smooth shaving razor and I love the way the longer handle feels in my hand.

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My go-to for my 3x a year DE shave...
    SafariScreenSnapz390.jpg

17. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Muhle R41=efficiency, comfort, dolphin smooth.

18. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

My daily go-to is an Icon Tech, I really like aggressive razors. But a Holy Grail? I'd choose Hawkeye's from MASH. I don't know what it is, but as a fan it would be an awesome razor for me to own.

19. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

My current 'go to' razor is a 1930's Velvet which, apparently, is a British tech copy manufactured to be sold in Woolworths. It's an absolutely amazing shave.

20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

My holy grail razor (DE) is my 2011 R41 on a thick brass Trieste handle paired with a fresh Super Irridium. It is clearly my first place selection and I have tried almost all of the aggressive razors.

If only I could get some to make a stainless or brass replica of the plate and top cap.

AGHisBBS, PLANofMAN, ob1page and 2 others like this.