What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Billyfergie and BearCWY like this.
  2. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

You can say that again @ob1page !

Billyfergie, ob1page and Drygulch like this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Very nice, if it ruins you for all other razors, send the rejected little valley's my way

4. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

5. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    5/8 Torrey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Wacker Chevalier. Been face lathering quite a bit lately.

[​IMG]

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

MdC is an exceptional face-lathering soap...as you well know. :happy088:

BearCWY, Billyfergie and entropy1049 like this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Catching up so it's one post for two days:
    Dorko 472 (new to the Den) and Rasurpur western grind kami

IMG_2743.jpg IMG_2744.jpg

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

So how did they compare face & hand-feel? kami vs Dorko….

Billyfergie and BearCWY like this.
  10. Keithmax

The edges of both felt similar, which surprised given they were honed by different people.

The Dorko looks like a 5/8 which is smaller than I like but it still shaved nice but I did not get a close shave. I used a much shallower angle than normal and that is likely the cause. I will try again with my normal angle. I do prefer the hand feel of the Rasurpur, I find the western style kamisoris very comfortable to handle plus it is larger and 1/4 hollow making it heavier which I prefer.

I just wanted to try a Dorko so if this razor does not make it into the top 10 she will be sold. The edge looked and felt nice but I need one more shave to make a judgement.

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Interesting. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Dorko is one of those razor brands I've not had the opportunity yet to try. I have one (my $10 ebay snag) in the restore queue.

12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Kinfolks "The Ace" 5/8 full hollow square end.
    20160716_080729_resized(1).jpg
    A little touch up on my barber's hone and a bit of stropping. The kinfolks did pretty nice. It has a nice solid feel in the hand. I alway get the impression that it's heavier than it looks.

13. entropy1049

Excellent bit of self analysis this. It's the ability to manifest this kind of insight that distinguishes a technician who is always learning and improving from a user who allows their gear to dictate the quality of their shaving experience.

Your observations about the Dorko edge being seemingly good to go but the straight still not delivering quite the quality of shave expected describe a phenomenon which has resulted in my own passing some very nice straights onto new owners; a beautiful Koraat, an NOS DublDuck Lifetime, a stunning CVH MK No. 33 in pristine ivory, the list goes on. What is this phenomenon? Can't put my finger on it. Wish I could.

I would add that I've never used a J-West that fell into this category, they consistently exceed my expectations. Hence the love.

I'd give her several more shaves with troubleshooting time before I passed the Dorko along, but it may simply not agree with you at the end of the trial.

Billyfergie, BearCWY, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  14. entropy1049

These Kinfolks razors tend to fly below the radar, in spite of appearing on quite a few folks "Best Shaver" lists. Yours looks like a nice one :happy088:.

Billyfergie, BearCWY and Drygulch like this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I do appreciate your generous sacrifice in allowing me to acquire & partake of two of your JWests there, Mike.
    Those two fine razors have led me down a path I probably would not have ventured had I not acquired the diamond 8k or Fon…you enabler, you. :D
    :eatdrink047:

16. Keithmax

The Dorko will get another shot tomorrow. I will definitely give some more chances.

Billyfergie, BearCWY and entropy1049 like this.
  17. entropy1049

Please guard this information from your spouse Kevin. There are already bounties available for the first person to rework my kneecaps with a Black and Decker 3/8" power drill. Though I suspect her attentions are now rather more focused on whoever sent you down the J-nat rabbit hole. That person should fear for their own safety.

As J-Wests go, you got two of my best :happy088::happy088:. Parting with them was easy knowing they went to such a fine home.

18. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Today I had a fine 2 pass shave with my Charles Adam "faultless" razor. The glacial lemon chill and menthol aftershave was a great way to start another hot day.
    image.jpeg

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Ain't THAT the truth!
    [​IMG]

20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos