Mustache wax suggestions please!

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Rusty blade, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I have been using Badgers Mustache Wax and, in general, I am pleased with its performance. It keeps my Mustache looking dapper. I was recently browsing some of my favourite online wet shaving stores and I noticed there were many new additions to the moustache wax lineup. What are you using for mustache wax and are you pleased with the results? I would like to try something new...

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Etsy sells the brand 'Lockhart's' of which I've become a daily user.
    Etsy site for Lockhart's
    SafariScreenSnapz891.jpg
    Per the Etsy description:
    "This moustache wax is specially formulated for the gentleman who want the tightest curls and best control over their stache. This heavy duty formula is one of the heaviest, stickiest stache waxes on the market. This wax will keep your handlebars tightly curled all day long without any worries of needing to restyle. Brown is Ideal for men with dark moustaches and of course, blonde for light colored moustaches. Natural scent with a slight hint of vanilla."

The natural scent, by the way, is more coconut than vanilla, according to my wife.

Billy Goatee and Rusty blade like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Dirigo Blue - my own homemade wax.

I have used and would recommend Firehouse Wacky Tacky.

Rusty blade and HolyRollah like this.
  4. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

AJs, Wild Bill's Bonneville Blend, Firehouse Wacky, 307, just depends on the hold I want & the weather.

Rusty blade likes this.
  5. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Depends on your requirements. I enjoy wild bills soft for body and XXX firm for curls. For this hot weather in the Midwest right now, firehouse wacky tacky is the bomb, easy to apply with heat of course, and holds great. Also Dirigo Blue is super strong hold. I wouldn't recommend Baldy Beardy on Etsy. It is crumbly.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Rusty blade and swarden43 like this.
  6. Rusty blade

Just thought I would update you...I purchased some Proraso mustache wax and I quite like it. I don't wear a tight pin curl kind of handlebar mustache...more lone like the Monopoly Man...
    monopoly-man.jpg

So...I don't need a lot of hold...just something to keep the 'stache from blowing all over the place. The Proraso Moustache Wax seems to do the trick. It is quite heavily scented (not an unpleasant scent)...so I will have to be careful where I wear it. The wax is not really a wax...more like a cream that gets firm once it is combed through the 'stache.

7. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Just curious, but has anyone tried pomade for the stache? If so, with what kind of results?

Billy Goatee likes this.
  8. Billy Goatee

I use either just a beard balm or lanolin maybe 50% of the time.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Too soft for my liking.

10. youngunn

I used to use a heavy pomade at first but no good no hold

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

11. Rusty blade

I've been using Badgers Mustache Wax with reasonably good results. I have been searching for new waxes and I recently picked up some Groom Mustache Wax made in Montreal. It's still early days...but I do like the hold and it has a light scent.
    image.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  12. Billy Goatee

If you are looking for a firm wax, Wild Bill's Bonneville Blend is harder than hell. A bit 'softer' is AJ's Elixirs.

13. youngunn

Wild Bill's XXX is good stuff.

14. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Don't often wax my soup strainer, but when I do, I use Clubman Neutral. I've been using it off and on since I grew my 'stache back in '74.

9nein9 and waddowedonowmo like this.
  15. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I haven't trimmed my mustache in about two months now. Its longer than I have gotten it before. When I did have it longer before, I waxed it with a variety of waxes, and curled it pretty tight. Problem is that my wife wouldn't kiss me with wax in my mustache. I quit waxing it. This round with growing it out, I haven't been waxing it. It was getting kind of wild and bushy, at about an inch long. I tried putting some almond oil in it, and it really tamed it and made it look better. Not enough hold to turn up the tips, but helped a lot with keeping clean looking.

RyX likes this.
  16. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

So here we are nearing the end of Movember 2018 and once again this topic is relevant. Does anyone have any new insights into Mustache waxes? looking for one that is easy to apply (i.e. doesn't require a jack hammer to get out of the tin). Not looking for a tight curl. I'm simply wanting to train the stache to the sides and keep it off of the lip and out of my food. :shocked003: