Bombed Florida Water Recipe??

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by kenloupa, Jul 26, 2016.

1. kenloupa

kenloupa Active Member

I love the scent and feel of Florida Water AS cologne. I see references to iced or bombed Florida water, which I assume means menthol has been added. How do I go about making my own iced Florida water? Where can I get straight menthol?

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Go to the TSD shop. You can buy menthol crystals or Joanna's M-bomb menthol additive.

3. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I just added menthol crystals to the Florida Water and shook like crazy to dissolve the crystals. If you want it colder, just keep adding crystals till you get what you want.

4. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

She also sells it on ebay

kenloupa likes this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

kenloupa likes this.
  6. kenloupa

kenloupa Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2016
    Sara-s likes this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have to add a small amount of glycerin to my Florida Water, to help soothe the skin.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And very versatile.
    Ways I've use it...

4-5 drops in my palm with my shampoo
    2-3 drops in my palm with my PSO
    3-4 drops in my lather bowl with soap or cream
    2-3 drops in my palm with after shave or balm

Use as much or as little as you want, with whatever you want!

9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I use about eight or ten 1/2 inch pieces of menthol crystals, if they're skinny.
    I really should weigh the amount i put in a bottle.
    I reserve m-bomb for soaps and creams. 3 or 4 drops bombs my shave nicely.
    Then i use an iced aftershave, very cool experience.
    Good luck, be advised the menthol crystals are quite strong. You can always add more. Cant remove it as easily. AND REMEMBER TO WASH YOU HANDS AFTER HANDLING THEM.

Drygulch, kenloupa and Redfisher like this.
  10. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Good advice!

I bought my menthol from Amazon of course (seems that I buy everything there). For my iced AS I have some of those 3 oz TSA bottles and I add a chunk of menthol about 1/2 inch square. It dissolves on its own. I have iced Florida water of course but some others are iced Lime Sec, iced Lucky Tiger and for fun iced Clubman VIBR. That one is kind of a fire and ice, I love it!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2016
    kenloupa likes this.
  11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I second the VIBR ,it's one of my favorites.

Redfisher likes this.
  12. Redfisher

:happy088:

13. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

M-Bomb makes Florida Water look cloudy, so if that bothers you, I'd suggest trying the crystals.

Redfisher likes this.
  14. Redfisher

I need some of that M bomb!

Yeah and much cheaper. I got enough crystals for a couple gallons of AS for $10

15. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I played the "add crystals" game for a while and still have a lot left. It is messy to store for long periods as it tends to evaporate and condense in the container with heat differences. You can easily overdo it too. I've found that it goes from pleasant to unpleasant. The first time I messed around with it, I was barehanded and got some oil on my hands and before it started freezing my hands off I rubbed my face thinking it would be like a balm......it went something like this:

:cool::Animatedfrozensmily::angry021::angry019::angry032: :ashamed001:

So with the disclaimer out of the way, if you opt for crystals over M-Bomb, which I would suggest against doing due to the simplicity of M-Bomb, what I do for AS is to fill the sink basin with hot water, tap temp is fine, and allow the AS to warm. Drop in a few crystals and shake until the crystal melts into the AS. Try it and see if it is strong enough. Repeat this until you get the right level of chill.

I've "ruined" a few ASs adding too much without following the method above.

I forget who it was but someone on here used to say that "too much menthol is just that". And the bad news is that you don't find that out until the product is difficult to salvage.

To prevent ruin ing something, one way to hedge your bets is to decant enough AS into a different bottle so you can dilute the mentholated version back to pleasant.

swarden43, Redfisher and Robyflexx like this.
  16. Redfisher

This is why I use the small bottles. I don't want to do a whole bottle because I want some with and without the menthol. And like you said if you add too much you ca always dilute it. :eatdrink047:

battle.munky likes this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

M Bomb contains glycerin. ☺

drew23 likes this.
  18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Ahhh, I didn't know that, but that's good to know. I don't have any, yet.. I've had a bottle of glycerin and a baggie of menthol crystals for a while, so I haven't had the need to order the "M Bomb" yet.

19. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I bombed my FW with menthol crystals, but m-bomb is also a great way to mentholate any product you choose.

kenloupa likes this.
  20. kenloupa

kenloupa Active Member

Great advice guys!! Thanks!!:happy069: I'm going with the M-bomb for now. I don't want to risk getting mentholated eyes lol.

battle.munky likes this.