Making Homemade Bay Rum

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by HolyRollah, Aug 23, 2013.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've sampled about a half-dozen commercial bay rums (Pinuad's clovey BR , Ogallala 'lime & peppercorn' BR, Lucky Tiger BR, Domenica BR, plus a few other cheaper ones that were, IMO, dreadful).
    I was shooting for a scent similar to one I enjoyed (the Ogallala) and thought I hit on it fairly well. Pleasantly spicy without one particular scent dominating, although more BAY comes through (herbal scent) in my homemade batch. I do enjoy the skin feel of my mix versus many of the commercial varieties, which I tend to find burning or drying to my sensitive skin.

countryheathen and tuxxdk like this.
  2. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Great writeup. Thanks, Kevin!

I have never smelled another Bay rum product besides my own, so I was very curious how it fared (it's pretty similar to yours).

3. vectral

vectral New Member

Hi folks - probably one of the best threads on bay rum ever. If I want to add Vitamin E, should I do it at the end and if so, how much? Assuming I use the recipe on post #44.

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You can add there Vitamin E at any point. 2 drops for every 6 ounces of liquid or approx. 1 tsp per 4 cups of liquid.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    AussieTanker likes this.
  5. tuxxdk

From my research, no more than 2,5ml of vitamin E to 500ml mixture.

That's around half a teaspoon per 2 cups in US measures.

It's very easy to overdo the vitamin E leading to possible reactions and allergic reactions.

Very little is actually needed for a basic after shave.

AussieTanker likes this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

That sounds about right. LESS is more! :happy088: (edited my post)

7. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

I also added glycerin to my bay rum aftershave following Kevin's recipe along with vitamin E and have received a good result.

AussieTanker likes this.
  8. vectral

vectral New Member

Would it be weird to mi ylang ylang and rosemary together in a bay rum mix?

9. vectral

vectral New Member

I just made a batch and used 10 ounces of Bacardi 151 as my alcohol. Did I mess up? I thought I needed higher alcohol content to mix the oil well. What do you think I will experience?

10. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I'm late to the party and didn't read all the posts. Having said that what ingredient gives some bay rums that burn? Is it the pepper or something else. Just saying I like the burn. Captains choice cat o nine tails has this of course but so does Clubman VIBR.

Robyflexx likes this.
  11. tuxxdk

I'd say the alcohol gives the burn.

Wawmd likes this.
  12. Redfisher

No it's something else that comes afterwards. All my aftershaves have alcohol, but this is totally different.

Robyflexx likes this.
  13. tuxxdk

I'm blank then :)

My homemade bay-rum stings like my other homemade splash - no discernible difference. The commercial ones I have (non-bay rum) stings more, but they also contain higher alcohol %. Some are rather high up on the %.

14. Redfisher

Like I said before it's not the alcohol, if you try Captains choice cat o nine tails you would know what I mean.

PickledNorthern and Robyflexx like this.
  15. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It would be interesting to know what essential oils are in there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Redfisher likes this.
  16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Did you try Stephan's?

17. tuxxdk

I know what you meant, I was just explaining why I thought it was the alcohol and that I didn't have any other clue.

Redfisher likes this.
  18. vectral

vectral New Member

By the way, if I used bacardi 151, is that okay? Or will I have a sticky residue after I slap it on my face? Thoughts?

19. bionut

bionut New Member

Any recipe for essential oil bay rum? I will use it in a soap, so spices and leaves aren't an option.

20. tuxxdk

I don't believe you'll get a sticky face. In general, the darker the rum, the more the caramel (the sticky ingredient). But I've used dark rum in mine and have zero stickiness.