Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spidey9

spidey9 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Today's Shave: Wednesday August 3, 2016

Le Coq Rasoir
    Le Coq wedge blade, freshly honed
    The Grooming Co. synthetic brush
    Yeti Snot soap
    Bootlegger's Arctic Lime Blast aftershave

Presenting Le Coq, the latest addition to my stable of French hoes. Oh, stop it - "Le Coq" is simply French for "The Rooster" and there is indeed a picture of a rooster on the razor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a fairly conventional wedge blade razor, using spring-loaded blade holders and a spring tab to press the blade against blade stops. It weighs in at exactly 2 ounces with blade installed. This relatively light weight is due primarily to the handle, which appears to be made of solid aluminum - unusual for this type of razor. The rest of the razor is heavy nickel-plated brass, and it came with 3 blades and a very serviceable stropper handle.

I honed a blade last night. It had a couple of chips that required considerable work on the coarse DMT to get back to an unblemished edge. Fortunately it had not been honed much, so there was plenty of metal to work with. Once the chips were gone I gave it 100 laps each on the fine and extra-fine DMT before switching to film. 200 laps on 12 micron film set a nice smooth bevel, followed by 1000 laps each on 9, 3, 1, and .3 micron film. The .3 micron film produces an edge that is wicked sharp in the extreme, but can be harsh. I place a sheet of paper between the film and the marble slab I work on in an attempt to mitigate this. I finished with 60 laps on my new 30 Degree latigo strop.

This morning I had what may be the closest shave I have ever had in my life - BBS doesn't even begin to describe it. Even now, nearly 10 hours later, my face still feels pretty much BBS.

This degree of closeness came at a price. No weepers or redness, but despite my best efforts, the aftershave definitely had more than the usual bite. Is it possible for a blade to be too sharp? Or a shave to be too close? That sounds sort of like having too much money - theoretically possible, but in the real world highly unlikely. At any rate, despite the irritation it was an awesome shave. I think this blade will really settle in after a few more shaves.

--Bob

2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Great picture.

Billyfergie, Karl G and Robyflexx like this.
  3. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Awesome write up Bob. :happy088:

4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Fantastic write up, but I feel like I'm being teased. ;)

Where can I find these razors? I want one too!

Rufus T., Karl G, ob1page and 2 others like this.
  5. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

+1 this

6. spidey9

spidey9 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Back row: L' Essor, Le Coq Front row: L' Essor, Le Gestal Front center uncased: Le Francais

Okay, I'll reveal my secret. The best place to find these French hoe type wedge blade razor is . . .

France.

Or French eBay, to be more specific. When searching eBay, look for "rasoir" instead of razor and be sure to specify worldwide search.

This can be a bit of an adventure. Things I have learned:
    • Most French sellers will ship to USA, but it can be expensive, up to 25 Euros.
    • The good news (at least for American buyers) is that the Euro has been tanking against the dollar - a Euro is currently around $1.12, making for some bargains.
    • Most listings are in French (duh!). I don't speak a word of French. The limitations of Google Translate when dealing with a subject with a specialized vocabulary quickly become evident. And sometimes hilarious.
    • For some reason most French eBay sellers seem to think that a single blurry photo is all that is needed.
    • It takes about 10 days for a package to make the trip from France to San Diego.
    These infrequently show up on US eBay but they tend to get bid up to ridiculous prices.

--Bob

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  7. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thanks for the tips!

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I have had similar experiences buying in France. Now I know who the competition is

9. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Thanks Bob. I'll check it out!

11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I used the Gem g-bar again this morning and had a wonderful shave. Close, smooth and refreshing. After the Damaskeene, the g-bar is my favorite Gem! This razor has the weight, balance, looks and is a fantastic performer!

image.jpeg

12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Excellent write up and information. Thanks.

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

August 4, 2016
    Cobra Classic
    Feather Pro (4)

[​IMG]

14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Beautiful picture Clint. Those two go well together. :happy096:
    It's Thursday!:eatdrink047:

mrchick, Karl G and twhite like this.
  15. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:signs154:

Karl G and Douglas Carey like this.
  16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Doug. I am so ready for Friday.

Thank you Roby. :happy088:

Karl G, Douglas Carey and Robyflexx like this.
  17. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD August 4, 2016

Cold Water.jpg

Blade: Chinese Schick
    Razor: PAL Injectomatic (on pass-around from @twhite)
    Brush: Artisan badger
    Lather: Soap Commander Fortitude
    WTG, touch-up

Nice, smooth shave with the Injectomatic. This was my first use with this razor and it didn't disappoint. I used a light touch and tried to swipe away the lather. Speaking of lather, the Soap Commander was excellent again. Great stuff.

Have a great day!

SOTD 8-4-16.JPG

18. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

I didn't realize the "Schick 66" got it's name the same way the Gillette 190 did:

[​IMG]

And I always thought my 66 was some kind of royal special model! What a true bargin!

19. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

That's a nice box showing the origin of the name. :happy088: The dark blue handled G4 is the one known as the 66 due to this marketing. The turquoise one in the pic is the G5 using Appleby's naming convention. http://www.safetyrazors.net/schick/schicktech.htm

20. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thanks again for the tips! You sir have broadened my horizons!

Rufus T., Karl G, twhite and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.