Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

I thought the handle looked like the turquoise one there. Sometimes digital images can really skew color, so I didn't really think that much over it. If any one has an interest in that razor, it's on auction and shouldn't be hard to find.

The couple of Schick guides I use as reference, I don't remember seeing a note concerning the "66" being a price reference. So thought it was interesting enough to share here.

Had another nice shave from my personal 66 this AM. Five days on a T.Pella blade, and that's about as far as I'll push it. Nice and smooth result, easy, quick three pass.

2. kenloupa

kenloupa Active Member

Great shave with the ATT SE-1 paired with my favorite blade for that razor, the Kai Captain PINK mild. True BBS and smooth as silk. TOBS sandalwood shave cream. Menthol classic AS.

Rufus T., Billyfergie, Karl G and 5 others like this.
  3. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Thursday Shave
    [​IMG]
    Brush- Semogue 620
    Razor- Schick Fashion Razor aka the Hussy
    Blade- Chinese Schick
    Soap- Mama Bear's Obsession
    Post Care- Crystal Alum
    Thayers Witch Hazel
    Osage Rub
    Pinaud Bay Rum

I'm continuing to focus on my injector razors. I'll be using the Hussy through this week then sending it off to @PLAla for a pass around I'm starting. There's still plenty of time to join in. It was a weird shave today, the Mama Bear's soap kept pulling a disappearing act. I've not had this trouble with it before but I couldn't get the lather to stay. What was there though was extremely slick, the Hussy just slid right through it. Three passes and I'm dolphin smooth. The alum was completely silent, the Osage Rub felt fantastic and the Pinaud bay rum complemented the Obsession soap. It's been 5 hours since I've shaved and I can still smell the soap and still can't feel a single whisker. Have a great day folks!
    [​IMG]

4. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

4aug16

I used the Valet Autostrop for the first time today. Let's just say I need to either find some sharp blades or I need to sharpen the originals. I ran it through the Kriss Kross stropper but it needs something else. I didn't tear my face up but I didn't cut any whiskers either. Two passes with the Valet and one final pass with the Schick. A fun run this morning and looking forward to trying it again... sometime.
    [​IMG]

5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thanks to your advise I have this unknown wedge razor from a French seller on its way, I hope the blade is salvageable:
    wedge.jpg

6. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

The Timeless TRH2 is an excellent handle which is very easy to hold even with wet hands. It has very good balance and is very easy to maneuver. It is a very good weight at 94 grams. I love how it looks also. IMHO.

4 08 16.JPG

7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Doug

I love your brush do you sell them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redfisher, clint64, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

They are a very limited run. I have sold a few.

clint64, twhite, Karl G and 1 other person like this.
  9. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

That's a Kind of Standard Design French Hoe Razor..Its an Early One I Reckon & Could be of Sheffield Origins..These are Actually Hollow Ground Blade SEs..A Wedge has No Grind..Or More Correctly the Blade is Not Hollow Ground Out..Even the Rolls Blade as I Discovered when Honing them are Not Wedge Blades Either..The Rolls Blade is a Full Hollow Grind but it has a Wedge Sorta Design & Shape..Rolls actually Refer to them as Hollow Ground as Well..:D

Took Me a Moment to get that One..:angelic007:

Billy..:chores016:

10. Billyfergie

Aye Bob..I Know What You Mean with the o.3 Situation on the Film..I Found the Same as You Described & I Just Used Ink Blotting Paper as a Cushion...I Now Skip the 0.3 Micron & Come off the 1 Micron to 0.5 Chromium Oxide & then Paradoxically Onto 0.2 Micron Red Rhodium Paste Just for 10 Sets on Each Paste on a Leather Paddle Strop..No More than 1o Sets usually Anyway..:)

Before I Come off the 0.1 Micron Finisher I Do 10 Sets with 0.1 on a Cushion..I was Just Getting Too Crisp & Unforgiving Edge off the o.3 Micron Film Even on a Cushion so I Stopped it & Now get a Smoother Edge on Pastes...There's Just so Many Tools at Hand but this Works for me Consistently for a Darn Smooth Edge..:p

Wouldn't Know Why..:happy102:

Rufus T., ob1page, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Well if I can get it to work it might be my gateway drug to dark side

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Rufus T., ob1page, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  12. Billyfergie

Its Well Worth the Effort so it Is..The Best Advice I Can Offer is to Get a 1st Blade Honed by Someone Who is Competent at Honing..Otherwise You Will Never Know what a Proper Honed & Sharpened Blade Feels Like..I Was Quite Fortunate that I Got Hold of a Rolls Razor with an NOS Blade that was Factory Shave Ready in its Day & Greased from the Factory..All I Had to Do was Refresh it on Pastes & Strop it..:)

If You Don't Experince a Proper Honed & Sharpened Hollow Ground Blade You will Never Know What to Look For or Aspire to When Shaving Never Mind Taking One to the Hone..The Same Goes for SRs..:D

Unless You are Adept at Honing or Shaving with SRs Already of Course..:angelic007:

13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Tonights Shave
    [​IMG]
    Razor: ESF Rapide
    Blade: J.A. Henckels (2)
    Soap: TSD Iced SubZero
    Brush: Boar

Tonight was my second shave with my newly honed blade. I gave it 100 licks on the strop prior to shaving. I had 2 days growth to try it on tonight. Lathered up and started my first pass. I could tell right off the bat that this was my best hone job yet. The blade gust wiped the whiskers away. the second and third passes were just as smooth. I finished up with a DFS to BBs in places. I need to figure out under my jaw with this setup. Just the slightest of stubble left.

I will be sticking to this combo for the next week or so. I want to see how long this hone job will last.

Tom

14. Billyfergie

:happy096:Yeah..Nice One Tom..They Do Just Wipe the Whiskers away When they are Sharp..The Rapide Takes a Bit of Skill to Use Round those Areas as it Took Me More than a Moment with it..Good You Got it Smooth an All..:happy088:

15. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

I had to go back to my Pal Adjustable today Karl. I was taking a break from it, but I just adore this razor. It has Beauty, Balance, and Brains (so says the advert from its heyday) ;) The only thing that I wish it had was an all stainless construction. The plastic grip is ok but it could have a much better feel it were all stainless. Then again they probably couldn't have kept the design the same if they did that. At least Supply made the Single Edge to fill that void:bounce015:

16. spidey9

spidey9 Well-Known Member

Indeed. Buying in this manner is really a roll of the dice. I've gotten some fine razors at good prices. I've also gotten one with a broken spring, one that is badly bent, and one that takes some off-the-wall proprietary blade (no blades were included). Blades have also been all over the place, some decent, some chipped beyond salvageability. Furthermore, having to ship them back halfway around the world and dealing with the language barrier pretty much rules out any recourse from the seller.

Ah, but when you open a package and find a mint condition razor and a couple of pristine blades . . .

[​IMG]

--Bob

17. spidey9

spidey9 Well-Known Member

Well, yes, but . . .

The term "wedge blade" has one meaning in the context of straight razors and a different meaning in the context of safety razors, where a wedge blade is simply a one piece carbon steel blade that is intended to be honed and re-used (regardless of the grind), as opposed to a disposable spined or rib-back blade. Waits uses the term in this manner throughout all of his writings, and I think it is safe to assume that Robert K. Waits knows the difference between a wedge and a hollow ground blade. :rolleyes:

It would not be an oxymoron to call them hollow ground wedge blades.

To further muddle things, PAL marketed some single edge Gem style spined blades in the 1950's that were known as PAL Hollow-Ground blades.

Besides, if we're gonna get all technical, most of these "wedge" blades are somewhere between quarter hollow and half hollow ground - certainly not a full hollow ground. :innocent

--Bob

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

August 5, 2016
    Cobra Classic
    Feather Pro (5)

[​IMG]

19. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Gorgeous Clint! :love055:

Karl G, clint64 and Billyfergie like this.
  20. The Other Donald

The Other Donald Well-Known Member

Heads up:
    There's a very nice Pal InjectoMatic on eBay for $25.
    Toodles.

twhite, Karl G, clint64 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.