The 400 club

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Darkbulb, Nov 3, 2014.

1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Beautiful work Tom!

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Well I am glad I made spares. Farting around with one before i cleaned them up good. I went and got a cap seized on one. Then trying to remove it, i buggered it good. Locked on good. The good thing it is 1/32 from seating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Douglas Carey and ob1page like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I would love to see you at work, Tom. Great job.

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Spares? If you have the time and stock materials, I should think you'd consider listing them for sale or trade. If that were to happen have you considered what the retail price might be? Before you answer, check to see what those other folks get for their original or repro cast units. Yours are milled from a solid chunk and look superior. Do you have access to, and would your machine mill other types of metal? I'm picturing brass, but that might be too heavy.

Douglas Carey, ob1page and bladeshark like this.
  5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I do not plan on running them for sale. As my company forbids that. I too was thinking of making one in brass. I could hollow it out to save some weight.

Tom

Douglas Carey, mrchick, RyX and 2 others like this.
  6. bladeshark

bladeshark Well-Known Member

What's the weight of handle?

Douglas Carey and RyX like this.
  7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I just weighed it. It weighs 92 grams without a knot.

8. bladeshark

Thanks Tom.

9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I can make it lighter later on if I find I do not like it. I can hollow it out from the front. Then install a flat cap to seal the bore.

Douglas Carey and mrchick like this.
  10. bladeshark

I think it's a reasonable weight. I have a modern version made from a solid billet of marine grade aluminum that weights about 84 grams (excluding the ferule and knot). It's still quite enjoyable to use and doesn't feel overly heavy. Very similar.

11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Ok. Mine was with the ferule. It is basically the same weight. I used 6061 aluminum for mine.

Douglas Carey and bladeshark like this.
  12. bladeshark

It sure looks sweet. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures post-polish. What kind of knot do you plan on using?

13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I want to try and find a Boar as close to the original as possible. I believe Clint found that Omega 49's are as close now as available. That is fine by me, as I prefer Boar.

ob1page, Douglas Carey and mrchick like this.
  14. bladeshark

One in copper would be sweet too. I haven't seen anyone give that a shot. I love the look of copper with a good patina.

ob1page, Douglas Carey and twhite like this.
  15. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

That would look nice once it got some age to it. That would cost a pretty penny

ob1page and Douglas Carey like this.
  16. bladeshark

Yes, the Omega knot will work great. If you're paying homage to a classic brush like the 400 boar is the way to go.

17. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

That is my intention. It looks so right with the straight knot. I wish those were available still. Maybe I will have to try and make my own knot with the longer loft and straight knot. I will have to find a Boar paint brush and experiment.

18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Info for Tom @twhite (and anyone interested in restoring) on my research to replace the original with as close to NOS knot look.

The look is not quite so square topped as the NOS, a slight rounding of the corners. Closest I've found so far. Might sacrifice some loft by setting the knot lower to pinch the bristles into the original shape.

omega 10066 replacement knot CBG.gif

twhite, ob1page and Douglas Carey like this.
  19. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

New arrival.
    Custom Shavemac 400 with Silver Tip Two Band

[​IMG]

clint64, Colonel_K, alfredus and 6 others like this.
  20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

That is beautiful amigo. :happy096:

clint64 and Boojum1 like this.