The US West Coast Bunny Injector Pass-Around

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rufus T., Feb 20, 2016.

1. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Glad you're enjoying your time with the Bunny Lloyd.

The Bunny will soon be leaving Minnesota and be on its way to Idaho!
    Check the updated Bunny Travel Route!

2. lloydrm

lloydrm Well-Known Member

The Bunny has left me and should be in Guy's hands very soon.

Wrapping up my experience with this great razor: its very solid built, has great looks and a nice feeling on your hand. A quality product.
    Finding its angle of attach is not as intuitive as with the injectors I've tried, most of which come with a pretty obvious built-in/starting point angle which you can slightly modify to your personal preferences as you learn the razor. The Bunny does not come with training wheels and in turn you have a more maneuverable razor so you must watch your angle at all times and the combs are more of a safety net than an active part of part of the shave. Proof of that was my shaves without a comb (one half and one full) and did not notice a significant difference. I was not able to go ATG without a red bump but I have experienced the same with most razors I've tried. Three out of the four injectors in my rotation work fine with the ATG pass so I had high hopes for the Bunny as I very much like the results of a good ATG pass. The Bunny gives similar results with two XTG passes and I have the feeling that with more time with this razor the results can be comparable to a good ATG pass.

If I was to modify something in this razor, I would take a look at the blade loading process. Not because it does not work, but because IMO is the only thing I can think of that separates this razor from top tier razors out there.

Tom, I don't know what your plans are but I hope you put it into commercial production. My best wishes if you decide to do so.
    Thanks to all involved for the opportunity.

ps: sorry I did not take more pictures but there are already some great ones from others in this thread.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  3. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

mrchick, ob1page, Robyflexx and 2 others like this.
  4. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Ok, a quick note on the first two days with Bunny in my hands and using the "notso" head on.

First off, have to say, this feels better in my hands than what I expected. I thought it would be a little top heavy and not so easy to find the right angle but wrong in both cases. I decided right off to stick with my normal two pass shaves which account for 85-90% of all my shaves and judge from that point against the other razors in my arsenal. With both shaves so far, finding the right angle was a snap and the "notso" took off more whiskers than I was expecting. I normally like aggressive razors and from experiences I have had with some of my injectors so far, the notso plate WTG was one of the best yet in the first pass. Now on both days, I did have a little trouble finding the correct angle XTG and the typical shave soap trails that one leaves with the wrong blade angle or skipping was present multiple times. Not a major issue as I'm still getting comfortable with this razor and did touch ups to pickup the remaining soap with XTG and best of all, no nicks or irrigation at all. I plan to use the "notso" blade one more day then move on to the wild as I think the wild is more for my whisker and face type. I did have two instances on Saturday and another Sunday with the razor slipping in my hand but once I slid my pinky under the flared bottom no more issues with slippage. Maybe so notches on the side 1/3rd up from the bottom for a better grip? Anyway very positive results with the Bunny and looking forward to moving on to the "wild" side on Tuesday.

Robyflexx, Karl G, twhite and 2 others like this.
  5. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Nice initial review Guy, thanks!

Sounds like you may be even happier with the Wild comb.

All I can say is you've got a couple weeks with the razor if you'd like, so take your time to get to know it and the rewards can be great. Also, let us know what type of blade you are using and hopefully you have a variation of blades to try.

Cheers!
    RT

Karl G, twhite, ob1page and 1 other person like this.
  6. ram57

Ok fourth day with Bunny but today I swapped the notso head with the wild and a new schick blade. I inserted the key slide in a new blade and in the process of removing the key I noticed the blade did not load correctly as the leading edge was down inside the gap where the two blade stops hold the blade in place. Not sure I described it correctly but I had to fiddle around to get the blade out and then inject another blade but this time all went well. Have to admit this made me a little timid in using the razor for my first pass WTG but no issues at all, and a very close first pass shave. Went for the 2nd pass XTG and now that I have the angle figured out for XTG a lot better shave and only had two touch up areas on each side of my chin. With the thicker squared head of the Bunny I have to adjust my XTG technique a little compared to the Repeater as an example but not enough that it is a hindrance for me. Again another very good shave with the Bunny and I believe the "wild" is correct plate for me based on my 4 limited shaves so far. One thing I noted in all 4 days of shaving with the Bunny is that I have to rinse the head off almost twice as much as I do any other SE or DE for that matter. Kind of reminds me of using a straight in that I have to rinse off almost after every pass. I'm used to doing half of my face/neck at a time then rinse but not so with the bunny. Nothing major just another adjustment that I have to make to ensure a very close shave. Two more days with the schick blade then I will try a Personna that I just got in.

RyX, lloydrm, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  7. ram57

Last two days I used a Personna blade instead of the schick and now I can understand why most who compare the two prefer the schick. Yesterday was first time ever using a Personna Injector blade and I paired it with the "wild" head and rough first pass is an understatement. But first things first. Either the Personna is a thinner blade vs the schick or the copper part holding the blade is developing some wear. I inserted the key and before I even pushed in the tab to inject a new blade the used schick blade tumbled out. This didn't happen with the "notso" head so not sure why this happened. I then slide in the new blade and this time the trailing edge of the installed blade slide forward and in front of the blade stop, near the key. I removed the key and used a toothbrush to bush the blade back behind the blade stop. I tripled check the blade was snug, satisfied I then went about preparing for my morning shave. As noted the WTG was very rough. Blade was skipping so I made sure the blade fully seated and kept at it. Near the end of the first pass the blade mellowed out but it did bite me once. Rinsed off and went XTG and again started rough but quickly mellowed out and finished off my shave. Overall, this shave not nearly as good as the schick but day two lay ahead.

Today was 2nd day with the Personna blade and after checking the blade was seated I proceeded WTG and mellowed had mellowed out but again first pass with the Personna not as clean as the schick. 2nd pass was XTG and again the blade was mellowing out with each progressive pass and might be better suited with the"nosto" head assembly. After I finished off the shave I then cleaned off the Bunny, and slid in the injector to remove blade so I could install into the "notso" head and once again, just installing the key, the blade just fell forward and out and I didn't even have to push in a blade, not even partially to eject the old blade. Not sure if this is a feature of the Bunny or just that the Personna blades are not suited for the Bunny.

Going with my Red Imp for Sunday's shave but back at it with the Bunny on Monday with a new Personna blade and the "notso" head.

RyX, Karl G, JR Reyes and 2 others like this.
  8. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

"...and slid in the injector to remove blade so I could install into the "notso" head..."

I might be misreading what you are saying but as I recall there is no reason you need to remove the blade to change combs. They can be changed with the blade loaded. My favorite Bunny shave was two passes with the Wild and a third with the Notso or Mild. :happy088:

ram57, mrchick, ob1page and 2 others like this.
  9. ram57

I was removing the Personna blade from the "wild" comb so I could install a fresh Personna blade to see if the first one was bad and going with the notso/persona for the first time. Just surprised the blade slide out on its own from the front when the schick blade this did not happen.

Karl G likes this.
  10. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

What it might be is the personna key is thicker than the Schick key. If so then the Personna key will open the spring up more causing the blade to fall out. Try holding the razor with the blade face pointing up. That way it will help to keep it from falling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ob1page, RyX, riverrun and 2 others like this.
  11. lloydrm

lloydrm Well-Known Member

That did the trick for me.

Karl G, ram57 and Robyflexx like this.
  12. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

The Personna key should not be thicker than the Schick key. I did some measurements with my digital callipers on several injector magazines. I measured at ① and ②. My results are that Personna and Chick keys are almost identical, whereas twin blade magazines have (not surprisingly) a thicker key. The digital callipers are not the best tool for the job. I used to have a micrometer screw gauge, but its current location is a mystery.
    [​IMG]
    All measurements are in millimetres. (Yes, that's how I spell it)
    Code:
                            ①       ②   
    Personna               1.80    2.70
    Chinese Schick         1.82    2.70
    NOS Schick Twin        2.09    3.22
    Japanese Twin          1.81    3.02
    Schick Ultra Platinum  1.93    2.74
    Personna 74            1.90    2.70

ram57, Karl G, twhite and 2 others like this.
  13. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

That's awesome Andreas! :thanks:

Karl G, twhite and riverrun like this.
  14. ram57

Well todays pairing with the notso comb and a fresh Personna blade was fantastic 2 pass shave. No irritation at all, no blade skipping and no issues with the blade sliding forward like it did when I had the Personna/wild pairing. Must have been a bad blade the first go around with the wild comb so will try that combo again with Wednesday shave.

15. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

As noted @ram57 is enjoying his time with the Bunny. But it's almost time for him to send Bunny along its way.

The Bunny started on the road trip way back in February. So we recognize that many of you have waited a long time for it to make its rounds AND with all the time that has gone by, perhaps your plans have changed. Some of you are beginning to pass or try to change your time when it comes up. We understand.

Guy has been doing a great job trying to make the next arrangement. But to minimize those efforts I'm calling all those who still want to try the Bunny to PM me and let me know your availability for anytime within the next 3 - 4 months. This applies to the list below and anyone who still wants to join in.

Please PM me as soon as you can.

Cheers!
    RT

@feeltheburn
    @RaZorBurn123
    @Beardbgone
    @PLANofMAN
    @Hirsute
    @MattCB
    @MoAllen
    @The Other Donald

Karl G, Robyflexx, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  16. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I was wondering where is the Bunny now? Who has it?

Rufus T., Karl G, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

The dog ate it.
    [​IMG]

Rufus T., Karl G, riverrun and 4 others like this.
  18. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Funny guy you are.

Rufus T., mrchick, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  19. Beardbgone

Beardbgone Active Member

It's in my grubby hands now . When I came home from work, it was waiting for me in my mailbox. I unpackaged the razor and fondled it for a good hour. The quality of the machining and the design of the razor, makes it look like the culmination of over 20 years in the making. I I shaved with it this morning and got a decent shave with the notso guide. A more detailed report coming later :) but for now I will say I'm honored to be part of this pass around and appreciate the thoughtfulness of the creator of this razor!

Rufus T., mrchick, RyX and 4 others like this.
  20. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Right on. Enjoy your time with it. I know I keep saying this. No pressure and you will be rewarded. So light the pressure that it tickles your face.

Tom

Rufus T., mrchick, RyX and 3 others like this.