Rockwell Owners Adjustable Razors Club (ROARC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tuxxdk, Jun 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Yeah I'm excited about the T model as well. No fan of TTO either, but still a cool item no less.

Haven't used my 6S in a while now. It's beginning to itch to use it again :)

Str8 Shaver and IDuck like this.
  2. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

Haven't been on this board in a while, but hopping back in...

Please make me a Rockwell member. I have the V2 and typically use a PermaSharp. This baby is getting all of my love...all other razors are gathering dust.

Plate #4 is my go-to. I can flip to plate #2 easily if the shave gets rough...which it never does. Today's shave was BBS with this lineup and Jeeves of Hudson Street Cherry Blossom.

I have the Model T on order too.

Str8 Shaver and tuxxdk like this.
  3. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I am going through a blade rotation at the moment with my 6S and I am finding that the #3 base is the most versatile for me. I started with #4, but changed to #3 after about 2 weeks (5 blades). The #4, while leaving me with a nice close shave, left me with a little more redness and itchiness on my neck. I do find that the #3 doesn't shave as close, but I have fewer issues with after effects. Guess I need to work on technique with the #4.

Today:
    Prep: Peet's coffee - Major Dickason's Blend
    - Shower: Valobra Balsamo, Dove Men's Face Wash, whatever shampoo was in the bottle
    Preshave: Sara's-oil-blend.mod-tw (more grapeseed oil, than olive oil)
    Razor: Rockwell 6S
    Blade: Personna Lab Blue (shave #2)
    Brush: Wolf Whiskers Tuxedo le Shadows o Stonehenge et Black Wolf knot
    Soap: Chiseled Face Pine Tar (powerful nose on that one; surprisingly comfortable)
    Post: Nivea Balm and MLS Grand Havana (wishing for cigar)

Str8 Shaver, jwr3265 and tuxxdk like this.
  4. jwr3265

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Terry Williams likes this.
  5. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

They do mail order. That's how I kept it in my pantry when I lived in Minnesota. It's nice that Peet's is a feature of SF Bay Area life. We have Peet's cafes all over this area and there are, at least, 2 roasteries here. One in Alameda (where I work) and one in Berkeley (where the original Peet's cafe is located). There is a lot of good craft coffee available here and elsewhere, but Peet's was the first (a Starbuck's founder got his start in the original Peet's in Berkeley) and I think they are still at the top of the heap after 50 years.

jwr3265 likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I don't know about that. Dutch Bros. is rapidly expanding on the west coast, and spreading to other states.

That being said, my personal at home favorite is Peet's Sumatran.

Terry Williams likes this.
  7. tuxxdk

Welcome back!

I love the R4 as well, but I'm undecided if I can use it every day or not. It's been too long since I last used the 6S but now it's back in use again. Been using the iKon X3 since I got it, but now it's on hold for a while :) Last time I had it in rotation I used the R2 everyday, but I think I'll try R4 now on a daily basis.

Str8 Shaver likes this.
  8. jwr3265

Thanks!! I've never used an IKon, so have no opinion.

Today, I flipped from 4 to 2 for my ATG pass...super BBS with no weepers!! I still prefer #4 in general but it's handy that 4 & 2 are the same plate.

9. tuxxdk

I find it very convenient as well, with those two settings on the same plate :)

My journey on the R4-only is going very well. My past many shaves prior with the X3 Slant has taught me to use minimal pressure. I guess I'm prone to use too much on a day to day basis, mostly out of pure "not-paying-attention". The X3 does not allow that nearly as much as the Rockwell does.

I have 200 Voskhod blades on my way - can't wait to take one for a spin in the Rockwell. Superb blade in all my other razors, so fingers crossed it excels in the Rockwell as well.

Str8 Shaver likes this.
  10. Str8 Shaver

Str8 Shaver Well-Known Member

Wash - Meissner Tremonia Puristic
    Prep - Noxzema / Hot towel
    Pre shave - Prep
    Razor – ‘The Rock’ (Rockwell 6S - plate 3)
    Blade – Timor
    Brush - New Forest Tubby 1 Finest
    Soap – Phoenix and Beau Denali
    Post - Witch Hazel

I do prefer the GSB in ‘The Rock’, but the Timor provided a very comfortable BBS shave... mission accomplished.

tuxxdk likes this.
  11. tuxxdk

I tried my one and only GSB from my stash in the Rockwell - it did pretty good!

Also did Denali just the other day.. holy smokes (again)... my face literally hurt like nothing else while cold rinsing.. maybe if I use it every day I'll get used to the menthol level, but dang... it's a bit too much IMHO. The smell and performance though is second to none, so I'm hauling my way through my Denali shaves, in hope of better menthol-withstanding from shave to shave. :D

Str8 Shaver likes this.
  12. Str8 Shaver

yeah, Denali really is something else, eh? But man, does it deliver the goods!! :happy088:

tuxxdk likes this.
  13. Str8 Shaver

Pre shave - Proraso
    Razor – ‘The Rock’ (Rockwell 6S – #3)
    Blade – Personna Med Prep
    Brush - 'Papa Chub' (Chubby 3 Manchurian)
    Soap – Phoenix and Beau Unscented
    Post - Witch Hazel

a great shave, but the Meds are just a touch too much with ‘The Rock’

14. tuxxdk

3 shaves in and I'm very happy with the Voskhod in the Rockwell. Both R2 and R4.

PaPa K and Str8 Shaver like this.
  15. nav

nav Well-Known Member

For daily shaves, I've been enjoying the R2 on a heavy handle with the polsilver blades.

Surprisingly close shaves with the R2. I used to be a daily R4 user, but at times my skin was a tad bit tender.

The R2 blade gap is about the same as DE89 style razors but as i've said before, the 6S has a certain head geometry that makes it the ultimate shaver!

Str8 Shaver and MoAllen like this.
  16. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Me, too!

I have been using the R2 with Super Iridium blades every day. Very comfortable two pass shave. Not BBS close, but close enough for a normal work day. My face feels great after my final cold water splash, no irritation.

Str8 Shaver and nav like this.
  17. PaPa K

PaPa K Active Member

Still running my v2 w/ plate 4 and feathers. Good to hear about the Voskod, may have to give them a try. Only bummer is the Rockwell has caused my other razors to hide in the drawer.

Str8 Shaver and nav like this.
  18. tuxxdk

Actually, the blade gap on R2 is much smaller than the DE89 style. The DE89 has a gap of .76mm according to another unmentioned site. The R2 plate on the V2 Rockwell is .35mm.

The corresponding plate on Rockwell to the DE89 is "a mix" between R5 and R6. I assume the head geometry and, more importantly, blade exposure is why the shave so differently.

Str8 Shaver and PickledNorthern like this.
  19. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

+1. ^^^ To me, the 89 "feels like" somewhere between 3 and 4. I totally agree with you on head geometry. Rockwell put together a combo of gap, exposure and angle that makes it as comfortable as any out of the 50+ or so razors I have tried. It was a home run design, that's for sure, and the razor I most often recommend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Str8 Shaver, nav and tuxxdk like this.
  20. Str8 Shaver

Pre shave - Prep
    Razor – ‘The Rock’ (Rockwell 6S – #3)
    Blade – BIC Chrome Platinum
    Brush - 'The Duke' (Duke 3 Best)
    Soap – Mike's Natural
    Post - Witch Hazel

There's something so enjoyable about shaving with 'The Rock'.. this time, the blade of choice was a BIC....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.