Books you can read again and again...

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Sara-s, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

I just finished reading Battlefield Earth and I think that's going to be one of my all time favorites for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  2. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

PS I love this post because I'm getting tons of new books for my future library of books to buy/read :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax and danbuter like this.
  3. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I find some of the best prose and most memorable storytelling comes from the short stories by Hemmingway, Issak Dinnesen, and Rudyard Kippling.

GatorJoe likes this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

One of my favorites, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. I read it every few years.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Vonnegut?

PickledNorthern, BigMike and GatorJoe like this.
  6. raulski

raulski New Member

Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman.
    I'm a terribly slow reader. Takes me ages to finish a book. That's the only one I turned right back to page one when I was done & started again.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

7. stream26

stream26 Member

Dune
    The Stand
    Brothers Karamazov
    Foundation (probably the whole trilogy)

8. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

And short stories by Poe and Updike.

BigMike likes this.
  9. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Here are a few in no particular order.
    Spark of Life, Arch of Triumph, Three Comrades, pretty much anything by Remarque.
    Berlin Diary
    To kill a Mockingbird
    Christine
    Heart of Darkness
    The Stars My Destination
    Foundation Trilogy

Alan

10. Bama Samurai

The Gospel According to Matthew

Chapter 10 is an amazing read.

Moose likes this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I preached 10:34 as part of a Christmas series as why Christ came.
    I've probably read the book of Acts the most. Only I read it as "The Acts of the Holy Spirit" instead of "The Acts of the Apostles."

Bama Samurai likes this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Matt 10:16-33 sends chills down my spine, and hope it's not pertinent to the near future.

Matt 10:34-40 is one of the most powerful passages about who Jesus of Nazareth really was.

swarden43 likes this.
  13. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

Wow it's kind of comforting to see a lot of people here read the Bible. I read the Bible quite a bit but for the sake of conversation I'll give you my fiction and non fiction choices.

Fiction: The Fold by Peter Clines (if you haven't heard of this, check it out.), The Time Machine by H G Wells, The Spy Who Came In From The Cold by John le Carré

Non-Fiction: As far as non fiction goes I don't really have specific titles but pretty much anything biographical or historical in nature. Like "Manufacturing Consent", "The Patriots History of the United States", or anything about the Civil War or Abraham Lincoln.

14. Bama Samurai

The Screwtape Letters - C.S. Lewis

Screwtape likes this.
  15. countryheathen

countryheathen Well-Known Member

Harry Potter and LOTR and The Hobbit.

16. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

There have been very few books that I've read more than once but one from my youth comes to mind and I'm sure it's one my parents wished I'd never discovered.

"Mad's Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions"

17. swarden43

Finished reading through theBible in a year. I've done it several times, still a sense of accomplishment.
    Start again tomorrow!

gwsmallwood and HolyRollah like this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Same version or do you weave in some alternates?

19. swarden43

NKJV, the one I had recovered. Keeps all my margin notes in one book. I'm also one who can better remember "right page, left column, 'bout a third of the way down" better than I can remember chapter and verse. Sticking with the same Bible, I hope to better my self with chapter and verse. I hold onto the promise Jesus made about the Holy Spirit helping me remember - John 14:26. But you can't remember what you've never experienced. That's why I encourage everyone to read the whole Bible, front to back, at least once.

If I'm prepping for a message, I do have a parallel Bible with KJV/Amp/NASB/NIV that I'll have beside me to reference, but I preach out of my NKJV. My opinion, but the NKJV is easier to read than the KJV, but still maintains the flow I like. Again, my opinion, the NIV just doesn't have the same oomph as the King James. Having said that, I would recommend the NIV to any newbie who asks for a Bible recommendation.

Douglas Carey and HolyRollah like this.
  20. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

"Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield
    The Aubrey-Maturin novels by Patrick O'Brien(I read them every summer)
    "Battle Cry" and "Exodus" by Leon Uris
    Anything by Louis L'Amour
    "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand
    Anything by Robert Hienlien
    "The Federalist Papers" by Hamilton,Madison & Jay
    "The Conservative Mind" by Russell Kirk
    "The Prince" by Nicolo Machiavelli(I read it every Presidential election cycle)
    "The Road to Serfdom" by F A Hayck
    The Philip Marlowe novels by Raymond Chandler
    "Wise Guys" by Nicholas Pileggi(the movie 'Good Fellas' is based on this book)
    "The Friends of Eddie Coyle" by George V Higgins
    And various and sundry other books that I would have to go into my den to figure out. The above was just off the top of my head.

Douglas Carey likes this.