Merkur Progress first attempt, head on wrong.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Spud, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I shaved with my new Progress this morning. I think I had the notches misaligned, as when I tightened it down, it was on # 3.
    After shaving I ensured the notches were aligned and after tightening I seen the # was 5, so a slight adjustment brought it to 1. I had a decent shave on 2 but it felt rather aggressive. I'll try it on 2 with the head on the right way next time.

twhite, opsimath and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

Your doing fine for being new. In time your definition of aggressive will change, but that's the beauty of an adjustable. I am a big Progress fan and all you really is to match notches on the top and bottom and pick your adjust number. It sounds like your there.
    Just remember the goal isn't seeing how aggressive you can get. It's a shave that does the job and feels great. Do some blade research on is forum and then try a blade sampler.

Spud and Jorvaljr like this.
  3. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

I've always checked before tightening down the top cap of my Progress, but with the indicators properly aligned I like to start on 4 or 5. I do three passes, then I dial down to 1 for those tricky spots that require some ATG blade buffing (upper lip for me).

This is quite easy to do, even half asleep, because you simply turn the knob clockwise as far as it will go. No problem, even with soapy hands.

Spud likes this.
  4. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I will try it again tomorrow morning and see how it goes.

5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

The base has a mark and the top cap has a hash mark that should be matched. I think it only makes that start right.

Spud likes this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    +1

Robyflexx likes this.