Ever-Ready 1914

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Trout Whisperer, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Another razor I've wanted to try for a while is the Ever-Ready 1914. I recently found a serviceable, user-grade example for a reasonable price. Since it is also known as "the little lather-catcher", it seemed natural to compare it to my Kampfe/Star example.

Actually, it is more like the 1924 in my opinion, partly because of the look, although the cap flips in the opposite direction in order to load a blade. It has a slimmer/smaller profile, too, which, combined with the lather-catcher detail, makes an attractive tool.

The lack of audio feedback surprised me, and the shave is closer yet smoother than either the 1924 or the original lather-catcher. Didn't see that coming. The 1914 made that ordinary Gem stainless blade sing.

The cap holds a bit of water, but significantly less than the 1924, and I've not noticed any oddities or quirks so far. In my book, the Ever-Ready 1914 was worth the wait.

Jim99, gorgo2, ob1page and 4 others like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

They are Lovely Shavers..If You think they are Loud with a Gem Blade then they are Even Louder with an Original Stropping Blade..They are Almighty Smooth Shavers with the Original Blades as Intended..:D

http://theshaveden.com/forums/posts/1024466/

Billy..:chores016:

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I shave with mine on March 24 of each year to commemorate its Patent, March 24, 1914. It is not a favorite because of its awkwardness of loading the blade and the way it holds on to water. I keep it for historical reference. It has a weird gap in the middle of the cap.
    exposure_gap.jpg

e-ready04.jpg
    e-ready05.jpg

4. spidey9

spidey9 Well-Known Member

You have an early 1914 with the tiny blade stops that can make loading a blade a challenge. Later models have hook type blade stops that make it much easier.

The gap between the center of the cap and the blade is normal - all my 1914's have it to some degree. I think it is by design, to ensure that the ends of the cap press firmly on the blade where it matters - behind the blade stops.

The cap can hold water (on the 1924 as well). All it takes is an extra shake after rinsing to make this a non-issue. Use the 1914 every day for a week or so and this will become automatic.

--Bob

Jim99, gorgo2, twhite and 3 others like this.
  5. That's good to know, since mine is the same way. Thought the stops had been worn down or something.

gorgo2, twhite and Billyfergie like this.
  6. spidey9

Nope - that's the way that they were made.

Here is a pristine 1914 that was barely used but has the small blade stops:

[​IMG]

Below is a later model with the good blade stops:

[​IMG]

Note how the blade stops are punched right out of the base plate. Obviously, these hold the blade much more securely. If you're looking for a 1914 to use, rather than as a collector piece, you should look for one with these blade stops.

--Bob

Jim99, gorgo2, ob1page and 2 others like this.
  7. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Great Razor.....enjoy every minute....about as good as it gets.....IMHO!

gorgo2, twhite and Billyfergie like this.
  8. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I have a 1912 that has the same gap. I thought something was wrong with it. I guess I can try shaving with it now.

gorgo2 and Billyfergie like this.
  9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Billy so true on the stropping blades. I am hard of hearing and the stoppers sing. My wife was yacking in my ear one day when I was trying to shave. I had a stropping blade loaded. She wanted to know what that noise was. When I told her she got grossed out and left me alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim99, gorgo2, ob1page and 3 others like this.
  10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

:happy102::happy097:
    When I got my first ER1914, my wife was walking past my shave cave and heard that "scraping toast " sound...it was so loud she turned around and came back and asked me what that noise was...:happy097:....She liked it though when she watched me using it....She said it was very loud but a quality whisker cutting sound...that metal box head kind of works like a reverb chamber. When I came back and cut one whisker I had missed, and it went "Binggg" she fell out...loved it! She cracked me up....said it was loud, but had a QUALITY SOUND...lol...She's right! My 1909 is loud and has a quality sound aswell....and I'm addicted to it....it's one of my favorite musical instruments...:happy108:

Jim99, gorgo2, Slow Joe and 4 others like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Depending on my SE mood, it's between the '14 and the G-Bar. They're now the only SEs I own and I don't think that'll change. The '14 replaced the renowned Damaskeene for me because it's easier and cheaper to get, and shaves about the same (that is, wonderfully).

I do find it feels better paired with the longer of the chain long handles.

twhite, Jim99 and Billyfergie like this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I hate to ask ..but how deep IS this rabbit hole?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ob1page likes this.
  13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

DEEEEEEP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ob1page likes this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

HELP.....

ob1page and twhite like this.
  15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

So Tom et al, can/should I take the spine off of one of the old Autostrop blades and slap it on a Feather SE (which I use in the Autostrop)?

#can'tleavewellenoughalone

twhite likes this.
  16. spidey9

:signs002:

Auto-Strop blades don't have spines.

--Bob

17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Right, I knew that. Wonder why Autostrop blades are with this razor.. Old Gem blades?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  18. spidey9

If it's from eBay you're likely to get just about anything with anything. I once purchased a Kampfe Bros. Star lather catcher that included some vintage DE blades. I also have a package of proprietary Weck blades. I can't remember what razor they came with, but it definitely wasn't a Weck.

--Bob

jmudrick and twhite like this.
  19. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I just worked out a deal for this Ever-Ready 1914. I'm beyond excited about it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Jim99, Robyflexx, twhite and 2 others like this.
  20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Well how do you do Bob, it is indeed a spined Autostrop blade. Gonna keep that spine for nefarious purposes you can be sure.

Razor heads near perfect, handles not so much.

Speaking of handles, did anything come of the discussion two years ago about custom handles for the 1914 and other 8-32 razors?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016