Bay Rum recommendations

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Norcalnewb, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I would like to get some more Bay Rum for this fall. I currently have Stirling, Captain's Choice, and Clubman VI. I would like to look for something a bit different, maybe from a small scale maker. I thought I would throw the question out there and see if any of you have some recommendations and thoughts on some Bay Rum that may not be quite so well known.

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'll mention Stephan, which I've used and is great in the fall&wintery (well, perhaps most are). I'm impressed by one fact and one opinion of Stephan's BR. The fact is that it was introduced in 1897. Maybe this is why it isn't so "well known"(to honor your interests)-because the newer ones have been taking over in popularity. The opinion is thjey call it a "true barbershop classic". There's a nice blend in it of all that should be embodied in a bay rum AS. The nice part of that, IMO, is that you don't get an overpowering of cloves. I may get it again.

Norcalnewb likes this.
  3. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Krampert's should always be in the mix.

[​IMG]

crackstar and Norcalnewb like this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

2016-09-17-10-13-13-1617669299.jpg
    Superior 70 is a nice light bay rum.
    Mine has a herbal augmentation, my late mil added. I didnt want to know for positive, but i suspect it'd be popular in denver.

PanChango and Norcalnewb like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Made in Maine, huh?

Norcalnewb likes this.
  6. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

The best bay rum I have ever tried is Dr. Jon's Anne Bonny shave soap. You can get the 2oz for around $10-$12 in a great tin holder, and the 4oz I have found for around $12-$20 in the same (albeit larger) tin holder.

It lathers and cushions very well and leaves a great face feel. Best of all, the scent is Incredible!! It is rich and complex with many layers. It has scents of dark rum, black tea, lime, and west indies bay according to the description.

Here is what their website says:

We love Bay Rum...and pirates! As soon as we decided to make a Bay Rum shaving soap the first thing that sprung to mind was basing our soap around the legend of Anne Bonny. We whipped up a blend of West Indies Bay essential oil, dark rum, black tea and lime and quickly fell in love with this unusual take on a classic male fragrance. Don't forget, limes help prevent scurvy.

When used with a quality shaving brush Dr. Jon's whips up a thick, creamy lather that allows your razor to gently glide across the skin while removing hair. Our unique formula provides plenty of cushion and slickness to help prevent against irritation and nicks.

All of our shaving soap is made with natural vegan ingredients including an abundance of luxury conditioning oils to help keep your skin healthy and moisturized. We don't want to just help you have a great shave, we want to help you have a great face!

Screenshot_2016-09-17-09-37-07.png Screenshot_2016-09-17-09-35-28.png Screenshot_2016-09-17-09-35-37.png

7. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I would give second place to barrister & mann's bay rum.

Norcalnewb likes this.
  8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I am a fan of Ogallala Bay Rum.
    [​IMG]

9. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

I don't know what your budget holds but Co Bigelow makes a nice Bay Rum.
    Bigelow comes in after shave balm and cologne.
    Another scent though an EDT and not quite a bay rum but close without the clove is Aramis Havana. One of my faves.

Each for under $30

To be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

TheFiveO, Norcalnewb and Jim99 like this.
  10. Paul Turner

wow, I didn't know Ogalla Bay Rum had a deodorant!!

Norcalnewb and mrchick like this.
  11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Neither did I. It looks just like my Ogallala shave stick

Norcalnewb and Paul Turner like this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  13. cjw

cjw Active Member

Here's what I use love the stuff.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norcalnewb likes this.
  14. Paul Turner

Looks like great stuff.

15. cjw

cjw Active Member

He's on face book. His shop is in Idyllwild California. He does custom leather work. I have one of his best razor strops. It's the best I've ever seen.

Norcalnewb and Paul Turner like this.
  16. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I looked up his page, looks pretty good. Have you tried any of his other scents?

17. cjw

cjw Active Member

I was at his shop this weekend and smelled them all. Liked all of them.

Norcalnewb likes this.
  18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You can't smell looks.

Just sayin'.

19. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

+ 1 on both of these.

Norcalnewb likes this.
  20. Paul Turner

well, I don't have it here, so I can't smell it.

Norcalnewb likes this.