What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I got to thinking, We have so many straight razor users, and many members who hone their own blades. I would really like to see the razors that you folks have honed with your own hands.
    It doesn't matter if it was a roaring success, or a partial success, as long as it's able to shave.
    I will start with one that I worked on this morning.

It's called the"RESPECT" Best Swedish Silver Steel, Germany. I do not know the age, But this was the easiest Blade I have sharpened, and it is Super sharp. I'm liking the Swedish Silver Steel blades more and more.

P9250453.JPG

P9250454.JPG

2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Most of the SRs I Own Have Been Honed by Myself..There Have Only Been 2 Vendors Worldwide that have Sold Me SRs that that have had a Superb Edge..Every Shave Ready SR that I have had Bought with a Superb Edge has been Honed on Synthetic's with the Exception of One that was Done on the Vendors Best Japanese Natural Stones as a Special Request by Me for Comparison..:)

Billy..:chores016:

3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Or how many shaves on your sr's since it was honed?
    The last time I used my Eaton 85 Diamond Edge. I thought, wonder how many shaves this razor will go until it needs honed?
    Most of y'all have seen it. It's B E A utiful. Masterfully restored by @HolyRollah. Honed by him as well. I've not done anything but strop, before and after use.
    Y'all gurus, how long will it last as a rule of thumb. Or are there too many variables to guess? 20160721_082354_resized.jpg

speedster, Steve56, fredyx and 11 others like this.
  4. Billyfergie

Aye..Good Point..That's What I Should have Said..Most So Called Honed SRs that I have Bought have Needed Re Honed after One or a Few Shaves..:)

Kizurra and Carbide Mike like this.
  5. DaltonGang

Recent pics?

Kizurra and Carbide Mike like this.
  6. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I do all my own sharpening. I still have a few antique store finds that need to be restored and sharpened. Most recent SR to visit my stones was a Robeson ShurEdge. The edge had no major issues...honed easily. Smooth shaver.
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    speedster, fredyx, brit and 11 others like this.
  7. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pics Comin Out My Ears..That I Can Find..:happy097:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    Steve56, Robert1955, brit and 15 others like this.
  8. DaltonGang

Most excellent Billy. :chores016:

Steve56, brit, Kizurra and 2 others like this.
  9. DaltonGang

Nice spine work. Is it more difficult to hone?

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I just finished five. I'm trying a variety of finishers and comparing the results. The goal is to get a hht4 across the entire blade edge and, more importantly, have a comfortable, smooth shave off of it.
    Some finishers in the mix: naturals ( Japanese naturals, Belgian coticule, Escher wetstone and the Apache strata); synthetics (Naniwa 10 & 12k).

brit, Kizurra, Drawer and 5 others like this.
  11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I have only had one honing session so far. All of the blades shaved fine. Only one was what I would call an excellent shaver afterwards, the Adoration.
    I still have a lot to learn.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

No, not difficult. I tape all my spines when I hone.

13. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

I just finished this one last night. A good friend of mine sent me his AJ Jordan 4/8ths. It was a challenging razor in that at the 4k and 8k stones ( Norton) it felt like it lost all keenness. Once I ran it across the Naniwa 12k, it became wickedly sharp!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I hone my own. I have bought quality new razors that were once honed by pros but have since been touched up or have had bevels reset with tape and been brought back up.

The only razor I have yet to touch up is my Portland which is probably around 40 shaves so far.

Kizurra, Drawer, Carbide Mike and 5 others like this.
  15. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I am getting back on track with this. I got a new razor in last weekend, and it was already cutting hair at skin level, so I used the 5k water stone, and my three Welsh Slates with slurry and got a fantastic, smooth, BBS shave from it. Kinfolks Blue Steel Special.
    image.jpeg
    I did this one last night, and reset the bevel on a 1k, then did 3 and 5k. Then I did the three Welsh slates again. Burrell Top Flight.
    image.jpeg
    I need to stop getting new razors for a while and just focus on getting my existing ones shave ready. It's a good feeling to do it yourself. I am also realizing that how you prep your stones makes a big difference. I don't quite have my oilstones burnished well enough, and can't get a good edge on them. My slates are easier to use, so I am focusing on them right now.

speedster, brit, Drawer and 10 others like this.
  16. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

Shaved last night off of the first razor I honed. It was a Union Cutlery 5/8 Spike. Had to joint it 3 times due to microchips. Honed it on a 1,4,8 Norton setup. 10 laps on CrOx, and fifty laps on leather. Shaved pretty well. It could stand to be a little sharper. Had about 1 inch on the front side, heel end, that had a very narrow bevel. The backside was even and consistent. Seems to be hone wear related. The front heel end does have more spine wear. I didn't use tape. I wonder if it would help.

Kizurra, Drawer, Carbide Mike and 4 others like this.
  17. DaltonGang

Long day of honing. The Japanese razors take twice as long. Very hard steel. But, they seem to take a much sharper edge. What do I know, I'm a rookie at honing. All four razors pop hair with ease, down the entire blade. It's getting better now that I'm using Chromium Oxide on a linen strop. That seems to take the edge to the next level.

Japanese Kikuboshi Silver Steel. Well used, But wickedly sharp. Even at the very tip.
    PA020402.JPG

American- "Genco Heavy". It was a nasty looking razor that required a lot ot polishing, on everything. The decorative ends also had to be bent back to shape.
    PA020401.JPG

Japanese "Canon" High Class Chemical steel. Another awesome edge. Love the Japanese razors
    PA020399.JPG

Japanese- T.F.Hairop First Quality. Great edge. The pics dont do it justice.
    PA020398.JPG

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    speedster, brit, MR41 and 14 others like this.
  18. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My Russian 5/8th 1/2 Hollow Arrived Today...Its Mint Man...Like Brand New...These are the Hardest Most Stubborn Steel SRs I have Ever Honed..Makes Swedish Steel as Soft as a Pussycat..Maybe Twice as Hard...Like a T 34 Tank..I Set the Bevel on the 1 K Naniwa & its Cutting Hanging Hairs before I Even Put it on the Progression..:D

Its One Serious Commie Quality SR...Brass Pins & the Grind is Excellent..It Took a Killer Edge..The Edge Feels as Fine as a Needle..Serious Hard Steel Folks..I Kid You Not..I have Honed a Number of Vintage French SRs that are Harder than Swedish Steel...This Russian Steel is Something Else..This SR hadn't been Honed before...Factory Fresh..This SR will Hold a Killer Edge for a Very Long Time I reckon..;)

I Will have My Next Shave with this T 34 Tank Steel Killer Sharp Russian SR..:transport024:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    speedster, brit, MR41 and 13 others like this.
  19. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I picked up this Barber's hone recently. It has a great reputation so I honed up a razor for tomorrow morning. I'm looking forward to seeing how it worked.
    [​IMG]

speedster, brit, Steve56 and 16 others like this.
  20. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Figured out how to hold my 4x2 inch translucent Arkansas to make polishing the edge easier. With this set up I can run the razor over the stone while watching TV. I think this is going to make my life easier. I know they make a commercial stone holder, but I would have to order it, and wait.
    IMG_4890.JPG

speedster, Mike-R41, Terry and 16 others like this.