What is osage rub?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by flyboy718, Feb 4, 2013.

1. DonR

DonR Active Member

Nectar of the menthol gods!

Bama Samurai and JRod22 like this.
  2. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Yeah, not a big fan of putting it on my face for this reason. I did it once, and I didn't enjoy it much. But I do like to rub some in my hair when I get out of the shower. I like the cooling effect on my scalp 5 minutes later. And when its in my hair it doesn't smell as much or for whatever reason I don't mind the smell as much.

3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Hmm....always been intrigued by Osage Rub..but reading these posts makes me think it would actually be too cold :)

4. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

It's not at all. It's actually pretty pleasant. I enjoy using it with a cold water menthol shave, and if I have a cold I put some in my handkerchief. I thought it was going to be too cold when I got it too, but curiosity had the best of me and I bought it. Glad I did. I would say it has less menthol than most of the Stirling menthol soaps I've tried, if that helps with the scale.

Paul Turner and Darkbulb like this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks. Seems like there are near endless uses for this stuff :)

6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Green goodness in a convenient 14oz bottle. Old school classic. Value priced.

DentonMajik and Darkbulb like this.
  7. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

There is! I think back in the day it was actually a muscle rub for sore muscles. There's not much scent and what little there is dries down quickly leaving just menthol.

Darkbulb likes this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Sore muscles? Osage makes guys stronger and better looking.

I think he's right.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  9. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

Man, I just passed on picking up a bottle of Osage Rub! The beauty supply store I was at had a fantastic selection of super old school aftershave and hair tonic. They had big bottles of Osage for $4. Now I am kicking myself after reading these opinions. Oh well. Guess I have to go back there before work tomorrow.

Bristle Me, Darkbulb and Radiotube like this.
  10. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Ooo, can I drink it? (Sorry, couldn't resist)

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Osage is ideal for those who want a healthy dose of menthol post shave.
    I have to agree with the comments regarding the 'medicinal' note to the fragrance (Ryan mentioned the eucalyptus & menthol ingredients), which does tend to give off a 'Vicks VapoRub' effect.
    I can use it in moderation, but only if my wife is not around. She can't abide the smell. "Sick old man" scent. My sons all agree. Needless to say, I've a bottle that remains nearly full... ;)

12. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

My grandfather used Absorbine Junior for that back in the day... He also swore it got rid of athlete's feet. Didn't work for me. It just hurt like heck when applying it between the toes. I hope Osage Rub smells better than Absorbine Jr. (which was originally formulated for horses with sore muscles)...

13. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I like it very much.
    I use it mainly on weekends and when I have a day off.
    I not only use it as an after shave treatment, but I also rub
    a bit into my damp hair right after a shower as well.

It is pretty frosty stuff, and a little goes a long way.

Darkbulb, Mr. Shaverman and Radiotube like this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I fear you'll find there are some REAL similarities to the fragrances....:eek: ;)

Radiotube likes this.
  15. Gigmaster

Gigmaster Active Member

I use Osage Rub all the time. It's my favorite, along with Florida Water. The scent is mildly of eucalyptus, rather than menthol. It does not smell like "Vicks". It smells more like eucalyptus trees when they are in bloom.... but be careful. You may be attacked by a Koala..... Seriously, it has a very pleasant botanical scent with a little eucalyptus top note. How it feels is a different story...it has copious amounts of menthol, camphor and the magic ingredient, cajeput (which is the main active ingredient in Tiger Oil). It cleans, sanitizes and tightens skin like nothing else. Used as a hair tonic, it destroys most dandruff, and makes you tingle everywhere it touches with a brisk cool feeling. If you have a cold, you can pour some in a liquid incense bowl over a tea candle, and your runny nose and watery eyes will clear up in minutes. You can also pour it into hot steamy water (in a bowl, of course), place a towel over your head and the bowl (like a tent), and inhale it to cure headaches and respiratory distress. And yes, it is a quite effective muscle rub, and works very similar to Bio-Freeze. It is a good thing to keep around the house for lots of things besides just shaving. I am never without it.

16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Oh not, not another mouthwash-turned-aftershave. I'm still working at getting over the Aqua Velva story, but since they finally came to their senses in 1935(from what I read anyway-maybe earlier), to make it aftershave, I'm ready to forgive.

17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Ask Adam @Drygulch what not to do with it

Keithmax, ob1page and RyX like this.
  18. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

It does smell like a cough drop at first, but it disapates quickly leaving a fresh minty coolness that lasts longer.

19. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Since I like using Aqua Velva and Lucky Tiger Aspen, both with a little menthol added, this might be a good one to add.

Paul Turner likes this.
  20. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I Sniffed some Osage Rub a couple of weeks ago, at a beauty supply shop. Very cheap, like the Pinaud Clubman I purchased there. After the smell test, I just couldn't convince myself to buy any. Just not for me. I also cannot convince myself to liking The Veg, and Pinaud Special Reserve.