What Manly Things Did You Do Today?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by jwr0201, Jan 17, 2015.

1. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Ah... the odd, terrible face behind the odd, terrible avatar. :p

macaronus and mrchick like this.
  2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Said to the armed man

BigMike and macaronus like this.
  3. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I successfully rooted my 4 year old android phone and installed an aftermarket operating system on it without breaking anything.

BigMike, richgem and macaronus like this.
  4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Fo' schiz.

mrchick likes this.
  5. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Chainsaw work, lots of chainsaw work. I have white pine surrounding the perimeter of a 2 acre lot. We bought the place a little over a year ago and the branches go to the ground having never been trimmed. This has resulted in 20' wide dead patches of lawn with brush and poison ivy growing all up through the branches. I started cutting the branches at the trunk from the ground up to about 6'. I completed 14 trees today.

Oh, and then I hooked the trailer to the tractor hauled it to a pile in a large open space and lit the biggest, most dangerous, manliest fire in North America!

6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Two manly achievements so far(and it's only 1:00). My first brush-shave, followed by black coffee after breakfast.

7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I cleaned out the refrigerator, did dishes, vacuumed, grocery shopped and started supper. My wife is going to drop kittens when she gets home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Erik Redd and RyX like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Mounted a new hood with picatinny rails and a new scope to dad's AK47.
    AK47 new scope.gif
    We brought it to the range and worked on sighting the scope. The new hardware makes it so it doesn't fit the hard case. I need to torque the scope mounting bolts to keep it in place. Fortunately the iron sights are still in place and usable if looking under the new accessories. When it's all set with a new carry case I'll be able to target those pesky critters eating satsumas from the orchard.
    Anyone have a recipe for racoon?

Paul Turner and PickledNorthern like this.
  9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

RyX likes this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Shot arrows, came home & Skyped with a college student in Afghanistan. Blowing the Shofar at services tonight.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Cool! Just hope there isn't a Jericho moment. :scared001:

richgem likes this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

that reminds me to recharge my cellphone battery pretty soon-sometime this week.

13. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Well-Known Member

In my experience a scope on a Kalashnikov is pointless, just use the iron sights and shoot for minute of raccoon... :p

I'm sorry I just could not help myself! Looks like you and I have quite a bit in common brother. Good job mounting that scope and I'm sure you already know but Loctite is the best way to keep those mounting bolts from moving.

I typically zero all my rifles at 160 yards instead of the traditional 100 (long story avoided) but in your case 7.62x39 should be zeroed to 25 yds...oh man I did it again I just cannot help myself!

Since you are playing around with the receiver have you swapped barrels at all? I have always wanted to get a "match grade" barrel for my AK but I've just never got around to it. I'll leave The long shots for the 7.62x51 though I suppose that's a bit of overkill for raccoon! In closing this long reply the rifle looks fantastic, good job! Edit: is that a 16x you put on?

14. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Well-Known Member

Okay, as karma from my previous post I'll show you what manly thing I did today with a very embarrassing photograph.
    2016-10-02 19.52.18.jpg

So I normally reload Lake City brass only but my backyard was filled with random 5.56 brass mixed headstamps so I went ahead and reloaded them as well since I don't want to waste any. Watch out for that head stamp, the primer pocket is way too small for federal primers. I did end up reloading around 500 mixed headstamp cases but of those I probably had 20 to 25 that looks like that picture or would not accept these small rifle primer at all. PMC brass has always been the devil but I apparently found some different brass as well that is just as big of a hassle.
    2016-10-02 19.52.18.jpg 2016-10-02 19.52.31.jpg

15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

This morning I dusted the dog for fleas. Also, I emptied a fish tank, and took it to the garage. Then I spent several , several hours polishing and honing four straight razors. I then cut myself on my cheek with one of them, during a shave.

16. navy mac

navy mac Well-Known Member

Fishing [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Are the primer pockets too small, or do you need to remove the crimp?

RyX likes this.
  18. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I replaced the rails and balusters on my mother-in-law's back porch and steps, I've never seen so many mosquitoes in my life!!! :scared011:

19. RyX

RyX DoH!

@Rockclimber Dad purchased the picatinny hood from a local shop, and the 3X scope off the interwebs. I had done some reading and understood a 2X was about as accurate as he might hope for using the hood mounted rail. If I can get the hood, rail, and scope locked down I'm hoping for effective at 100 yards & hopeful at 200. Not many folks hunt with an Egyptian AK, but should we ever have international problems we both know how to fire, strip, clean, and reassemble one. It's not a bad tool considering what it was designed to do; get humped through various environments and work well in the hands of inexperienced users. Haven't considered swapping barrels yet.
    An AR15 is nice, too.
    @TobyC seems like the military brass have the crimped primer pockets? Might keep moisture out more effectively. I've reloaded plenty of previously used 9mm. Not so much on long gun ammo.
    Been using a Lee loader. Slow, tedious, repetitive. After a hundred rounds I'm ready to go do something else.

PickledNorthern and Rockclimber like this.
  20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Given my finite skill, Jericho is safe. BTW, I played it for the first time at services last night & it went well.

swarden43 and PickledNorthern like this.