Cold water shave question

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by SpeedyPC, Oct 10, 2016.

1. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

G'day Cold Water Shaves,

Question do you cold water shaves soak you're badger brush in cold water or warm water, because I find the badger brush doesn't feel soft when I lather up my face.

Where can I find the complete Cold Water Shaves method or the correct way to cold water shave topic instruction.

Cheers ;)

George X and Robyflexx like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Fellowship of Cold Water Shavers thread is a wealth of information.

I am a face-latherer. I don't use a bowl. I don't even soak my badger or any brush. I simply wet it, shake it out, give it a gentle squeeze, and start to load my brush. Then I go to the face and do my lathering there. It is a time saver, and I always do two passes and still wash lather down the drain. Feel free to use any of our Cold Water Shave logos.
    zice-water.jpg zcws.gif ZCOLDWATER1.jpg ZCOLDWATER.jpg

3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I run cold water over my brushes, shake them out, then load. I also face lather. I'll add in tiny bits of water as needed while loading. Cold water is used for each step of the shaving process - wetting the brush, rinses before and between passes, the water in your sink for swishing your razor, the final rinse, etc. That's the method - just use cold water throughout the shave.

I tried it with some trepidation but won't go back now. It's refreshing and eases irritation. YMMV of course.

4. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I dip the brush in ice water and go straight to my face for lathering. :)

Bama Samurai, PLAla and George X like this.
  5. George X

George X Well-Known Member

I used to bowl lather, but dipping the brush for about 15 seconds, or holding it under running water to and face lathering as stated above is my now preferred method

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai, PLAla and Robyflexx like this.
  6. SpeedyPC

I thought the badger brush meant to be soak in warm water so the bristles doesn't break, when soaking in warm water it help soften the badger hair.

champagneinhand and PLAla like this.
  7. Robyflexx

Do whatever feels comfortable for you buddy. :happy088:

8. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Everything is cold for me except when I bowl lather, I use hot water to soak the soap and hot water to pre-rinse and rinse my razor.

9. SpeedyPC

Well I'm gunna have a crack at cold water shave during my next shave either on Wednesday or Thursday which is going to be very interesting shave.

preidy, Bama Samurai, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  10. Star

Star Active Member

There was never really a point where I decided to try a cold water shave. It's just something that I fell into over time naturally and it works for me. My routine starts with a normal hot(ish) shower. I make it a point to let the hot water wash over my face and then use Noxzema as a facial wash/cleanser (pro tip: get the store brand. It's literally the same thing for less money). I use an old synthetic Omega brush I picked up from a fellow TSD member...it doesn't have to "soak" under hot water in the same way as a badger and it's much easily to rinse out afterwards. I'll run that bad boy under cold water and ring out the excess. I then add a small dab (scientific terms abound) of cream (I like Trumper's Rose) and face lather it until I'm happy. I then like to run the DE under the hot tap to warm up the metal. I don't know why but having a warm blade contrasting to the cold face just does something magical. I'll follow up with a cold rinse, a little witch hazel (pro tip #2: the lower the alcohol % the better), then comes the Clubman aftershave. I'll also add a very small touch of Nivea sensitive depending on the weather. This whole process works best for me. I've managed to get the shave done super quickly (I have to be at work early so....) and still get a super close shave with zero irritation.

SpeedyPC and PLAla like this.
  11. Star

Star Active Member

Why yes sir I think I will borrow that first signature! :D

Robyflexx and Jayaruh like this.
  12. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

When I use hot water I am not really in the mood to conserve water. When I cold water shave I am in the mood to not use water. So when it's cold Everything is cold. I might use 12 oz of water. Maybe less. That ties me into a desert camping type experience or WWII GI helmet shave and I enjoy that as much as the actual shave. I won't run a tap for 2 minutes to get hot water so I can soak a brush and then shave cold.

It's your shave. Enjoy it as you like. Life is too short to worry about a consumable like a brush breaking because it was dipped or soaked in cold water. Just put in a new knot when it comes time and don't sweat the small stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

preidy, SpeedyPC, George X and 2 others like this.
  13. SpeedyPC

I've been enjoying myself into cold water shave and it does feel a lot better on my skin which seem strange, the only small issue is the badger brush when I run it under the tap with cold water and than apply to face which is not too bad as it does feel a bit stiff.

After a few minutes than I apply straight to the Haslinger Schafmilch Sheep Milk & Lanolin soap man it wip up a lather pretty quick, and apply to my face and BOOM the lather was HUGE last me about 5 or 6 passes.

preidy, Robyflexx and PLAla like this.
  14. Robyflexx

Glad it's working for you and Haslinger is indeed an outstanding soap - I think I'll shave with it tomorrow....thanks! :)

preidy likes this.