Skin-friendly liquid soap recommendation

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by wristwatchb, Oct 14, 2016.

1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Hello everyone.

I'm a longtime user of name brand and store brand shower gels and liquid hand soaps. I'm looking for a more skin-friendly alternative. As I've aged, these products dry out my skin terribly. I'm considering Dr. Bronner's Castile Liquid Soap as one option for body, hands, and maybe even hair. It gets good reviews, and it's available on Amazon with free shipping.

I would like to stay with a liquid product (no bar soap). I'm looking for a product that is commercially available and reasonably priced. It doesn't have to be vegan, organic, etc. Scented or unscented would be OK.

Any recommendations from my friends here? Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  2. Edwin Jagger Loyalist

Edwin Jagger Loyalist Active Member

The Kiss My Face brand has some really good moisturizing hand soaps on Amazon you can check out. Whole Foods carries that brand so it has to be somewhat legit. It'll run you higher than the generic grocery store brands but it's worth it IMO.

3. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Dr. bronners is good stuff. Expensive, but good stuff.

4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I believe ManHandsSoaps.com has liquid soaps. For that manly smell, of course. Might be a ittle over "reasonable" relative to price, but of course you get the manly fragrances. I haven't ruled out trying one sometime.

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I've used Dr. Bronner's too. I find it pretty good & not irritating. The scents are nice & they also have an unscented variety.

6. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Dr Bonners Spearmint is all I have used for years! The cheapest place I have found it is at Traders Joe's in California.

The nice thing about it is you can really dilute it and still get a great lather.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  7. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I strictly use gels in the shower for the time being and I used Irish Spring for a long time without any issues. A friend inadvertently got me to switch to Every Man Jack, which is available in supermarkets around here. It doesn't dry out my skin at all and the sandalwood scent is pretty decent. I tried looking at affordable artisan shower gel options but whether it comes to body wash or shampoos, almost all artisans seem to only manufacture solid bars.

8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That's because shower gel can not be made without preservatives (or it will incubate bacteria) and most artisans want to keep it natural.

9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I chose Dr. Bronner's Unscented liquid soap. So far, so good!

1.jpg

10. Asafiev

Asafiev Member

Look into Bubble and Bee. They make organic / natural product's and are based in Utah. I have used their shower gel for years.

11. Otto

Otto Member

I only buy A La Maison liquid soap from Marshalls. It's French, costs $5 for a 500mL bottle. Only made with saponified oils, glycerin and fragrance.

[​IMG]
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

We use their spearmint soap, in our liquid-soap dispenser, by the kitchen sink. It's pretty safe, gentle soap & the mint scent deodorizes hands a bit.

13. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I'll be curious to know if it works well with your dry skin. Many report that some (not all) castile soaps can dry the skin. My dad has used Kirk's Castile soap for several years for two reasons, hard water and oily skin. I remember trying it years ago and not liking it with my dry skin.

Ijustmissedthe50s and beemers like this.
  14. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

15. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

I've used Aveeno daily moisturizing wash and found it to be really good for my skin, which can get on the dry side especially in winter. I also like their lotion for my hands because it's non-greasy and absorbs into the skin right away; no slippery fingers waiting for it lotion dry.

16. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I'm late to the party, but you might want to look at these guys
    http://www.gmsoap.com/index.php

I sorta know the son online from another forum. These are good folks. And their products are targeted towards people with skin allergies so might be of help. Interestingly enough the founder is a former NASA scientist.

17. Paul Turner

This thread went on vacation, but I'd like to keep it going.....I'm glad that Doc Ezlovan at Stoylin now has liquid face/bodywashes.

18. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

I bounce between Mitchells Wool Fat bath soap (lasts 90 days of daily showers), Stirling, Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements or Duke Cannon bars (lasts 60+ days).

Not really a fan of bath/shower liquid cleansers.

19. Paul Turner

Update-wow, I guess I should say I'm not surprised I first noticed MHS 4 yars ago. I bought a couple of the soaps just recently. Still on the first one(Cut&Shave-a barbershop scent(naturally).