Cuban Cigars and Cuban Rum Now Legal In The U.S.A. Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by DaltonGang, Oct 14, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

By Presidential Executive Order that Obama signed, Cuban Cigars and Rum are now legal to own, and to bring into the USA. I believe it's on a personal basis, for now, not for commercial ordering yet. So, we have to travel to Canada, Cuba, and other countries and bring them back by hand. Best news I've heard in 7 1/2 years.

brit and RyX like this.
  2. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I think this is going to really hit a sweet spot when Cuban tobacco is used a a blending component of cigars.

3. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

More important!! How about Iranian Pistachios!!!
    The Californian ones are near tasteless!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

Unless the Cubans start to crank up production, and let quality go out the window. I predict that for the first 4-5 years. Get them early, them watch to see if the quality takes a turn.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  5. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

I don't know that they're legal for retail importation. If you travel to Cuba before the presidential order you could still bring back cigars or Rum but it had to be less than $100 worth. That is the Restriction that has been removed. I'm not sure that's the case commercially.

... To be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

Bama Samurai likes this.
  6. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

So who's going to bring some back and run a PIF..... :D

brit, AGHisBBS, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Over the years, every time I visit relatives in Canada, some of them Cubans somehow have ended up in my luggage when I got home. While some have been really good, some of their quality control has fallen off a bit and more and more cigars from Honduras or Nicaragua have been better. And don't forget, many cigar companies in operation today have their roots from Cuba, even from seeds smuggled out of Cuba, so those Master Blenders know their stuff.

8. DaltonGang

I've run across many fakes. The feel, and especially the taste are the deciding factors. I've found the Cohibas to be the most faked one's I've run across. I had some given to me by a friend, who brought some back from Mexico(first sign) and the wrappers looked rough(second sign). I lit one up and it didn't smell like a Cuban(third sign). I tore it open, and found some type of hair mixed into the tobacco(final sign).
    Not all fakes are this obvious, but sometimes it's the taste and draw that give it away.
    For the most part, officially state sanctioned Habana made cigars have had very rigid quality controls.
    Now that the tourism will increase, and the cigars can be taken with them, I'm afraid quality control will tank, as well as possibly inferior tobacco being used to keep up with production.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  9. jimjo1031

Yeah that was the problem before. At one time years ago, demand got higher and the tobacco was either not the one usually used or wasn't aged properly. On a side note, tobacco was originally introduced to Cuba from Mexico. And you are correct in saying Cuban Cohibas were and maybe still are highly faked, along with Montecristos. One of my favorites from Cuba is the Montecristo #2.

10. DaltonGang

Mine to, well, I have several favorite Cubans.
    I believe the uniqueness, as well as calming effect the Real Cuban cigars have, is the soil that the tobacco is grown in. From all I have read, in the past, it's the Lithium content of the soil there, that is unlike other places tobacco is grown. (Useless Trivia Alert).

11. DaltonGang

12. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

IMHO-The best "Cuban's" are coming from Nicaragua, Honduras, and the Dominican Republic. As Jim mentioned, the best Master Blenders fled Cuba with their precious seeds. The Cuban seed cigars blended by the old Cubans are excellent. It will be interesting to follow.

AGHisBBS and jimjo1031 like this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Are they made by slave labor?

jimjo1031 likes this.
  14. jimjo1031

I agree and many of the Ex-Cubans have stated that the volcanic soil in Honduras and Nicaragua is better for their tobacco plants. Making for nice rich tasting cigars.

Bobcat likes this.
  15. jimjo1031

Well, since the government controls it, probably ain't getting paid much.

gorgo2 likes this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Under communism, it's not a bug. It's a feature.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  17. DaltonGang

I haven't bought a cigar in about five years, but I still have around 150 or more stashed away, in a humidor chest. I only smoke a cigar every 3-4 months now. Allergies. I don't have many Cubans left. But, from what I remember, the "Laroma De Cuba", and the "Opus X" were about as close to the real Cuban flavor as it got. I still have about 15 OpusX left and less than 10 Laroma De Cuba left. I only smoke those on special occasions. When its worth the allergies getting to me. Cubans are reserved for birthdays.
    I use to get Cigar Afficianado, and Cigars magazine's. I tried almost all the top tier smokes, and none, and I mean none tasted the same as a "Real Cuban Cigar". Perhaps things have changed in the past 5 years.
    I still remember in the 90's when smoking Cigars was the yuppy thing to do. Everyone made them, it seemed, and almost all touted their tobacco came from Cuban Seed. The quality of cigars then stunk.
    What are the closest thing to the real Cuban cigar, being produced now??
    End thought, seeds don't mean squat, unless they are grown in the proper soil.

Bobcat and jimjo1031 like this.
  18. DaltonGang

Thanks everyone, now I want to smoke a cigar. The wife is going to be miffed. . No kisses for me tonight. Hmm, Cigar vs. Wife. Close one. I better hold off on a cigar, for the days when it doesn't matter.

RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  19. jimjo1031

Don't forget, central America's volcanic soil is excellent for tobacco growing. Two brands come to mind from Nicaragua that rival Cubans, Perdomo and Ave Maria. Also blends from Monteristo I like better than some Cubans, Media Noche, Afrique and Espada are excellent. But, that's my opinion.

DaltonGang likes this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The cigar industry is over producing. The quality of Cubans dropped big time in the period 1995-present. Imho the best cigars are from Dominican Republic these days. Also most Cuban master producers have left, and are now in Honduras and the Dominican. The boom upped production so much that "ligero" tobacco can't be produced in sufficient amounts in Cuba to flavor all the sticks they're rolling. Ligero is the "punchy" flavor that's so essential to classic Cuban smoke. The guys who say Cuban is still best are more nostalgic than realistic.

DaltonGang, Bobcat and jimjo1031 like this.