Asylum RX SE razor.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kypros Christodoulides, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Hello gents,

I see in other forums there is a lot of discussion on this SE razor from BullGoose.
    Generally all who have tried it are very satisfied with the results and for a razor that changes hands at $230, to say it's worth the outlay, it must be something out of the ordinary.
    Any further thoughts on this?

Jim99, Terry Williams and Demidog like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    People spend $300 on the One Blade razor and say it's worth the outlay, which is a truly incredible thing to say for a razor made in China. Compared to that, this razor doesn't seem half bad.

3. Kypros Christodoulides

The One Blade I consider to be a sideways step from a cart. If it will only take only one kind of blade that you can only buy from the manufacturer and the head is pivoting, what make it different from a cart?
    The RX is a truly well engineered SE that people say shaves like a straight. That close.

Jim99 and Demidog like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just that it's way more than I would ever pay for a razor.

But that's me

5. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

200-300 bucks?
    It'll need to be platinum plated and blessed by the Dali Lama...and made by the elves of Rivendell.

6. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I still can't get over how wide the head is on these modern SE razors. I liked the Cobra, didn't like the Mongoose, and then switched to real straights.

I have heard good reviews, but would never pay that much for a blade holder.

7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I dunno, maybe it's me, but for $200-$300 that razor better wash my car, drive me to work and help me improve my golf game.

HERM

8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It's not you.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

9. spidey9

spidey9 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I cannot say for anyone other than myself if spending $230 on any razor is a good idea, but if you're going to spend the money, this is the one to get.

As soon as you cradle it in your hand you realize that that you are holding a shaving instrument of the highest craftsmanship. See the glow of the bead blasted satin finish, feel the clean crisp knurling and marvel at the parts machined to extremely close tolerances - all made in the USA.

[​IMG]

It is a unique take on the classic 3 piece design. Note that the cap is made of a single piece of stainless steel, including the threaded shaft - no setscrew here.

When you experience the precision machining and craftsmanship that goes into this razor, you realize that $230 is actually quite reasonable, maybe even a bargain.

Of course, you can pick up a Razorock Hawk, or any number of vintage SE's for $20 or so. Does the Asylum Rx shave ten times better than those razors? Of course not.

It's about more than the shave. A Fiat and a Lamborghini will both get you from point A to point B. I may never own a Lamborghini but I can own the equivalent in shaving instruments.

Oh yeah, I like this razor. :happy088:

--Bob

JazzDoc, PLANofMAN, Demidog and 8 others like this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Its a beautiful razor Bob. Let us know how it shaves.

11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I get the quality thing. But I would expect it to outperform its (much) less expensive competition by some fair margin as well as look and feel handsome. The couple reviews I've seen have been not that effusive in their praise.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  12. lloydrm

lloydrm Well-Known Member

I've never held one on my hand but from pics it does not yell quality like others do. I am getting more and more curious about it though ... Then I see a nice str8 and forget about it.

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

The OneBlade uses Feather SE blades that are available at a number of vendors.
    I assume the question about what makes a SE razor with a pivoting head like the OneBlade different from a cart is a joke and not a serious question.
    And no, the RX Asylum doesn't "shave like a straight".

14. Kypros Christodoulides

Sorry I was under the impression that the One Blade only uses a specific type of blade only available at the vendor.
    Being pivoting is a common feature with carts however.

15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I wouldn't think pivoting is the main, defining aspect of a cartridge razor.
    Some of my favorite carts does not pivot and there is little to no similarity between the OneBlade to a cart.

16. rawfox1

rawfox1 Well-Known Member

If you can afford it and want a great shaver with wonderful quality and build this is the one SE to buy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

PickledNorthern likes this.
  17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I have not and most likely will not buy the Rx razor. This is not related to the price but the fact I already have some other Artist Club razors with which I am very satisfied. The price is very similar to other current high end razors. Will the razor shave 10 to better than a $25 razor? I doubt it but most if not all luxury items are the same. We all choose to spend our money as we see fit. I am pleased to see another American made razor come to market. I am also happy that this hobby has items at all price points that allow everyone to participate. There are items for the person that wants to be frugal and save money all the way to luxury goods for those that want to indulge and pamper themselves.

18. Kypros Christodoulides

You are probably right,
    the RX, the OneBlade or even your AC high end razors, most definitely don't shave 10 times better than your $25 SE, but things don't work this way. The more you move up the scale of precision and high end materials, the greater the monetary difference. Let me explain.
    I'm a violinist and to get a decent professional violin, I need to spend about $8000. To get a violin twice as good, I would have to spend not $16000 but $25000. If I still wanted a twice as good a violin as the 25000 one, I would have to pay $100000 and up to $$$$$$$$$'s. It's the same with razors. Quite a few people could design or copy a decent SE razor, but to get above that point, a lot, more research, time, trial & error have to go into it. These things cost and are reflected on the final price. Thus the cost to buy an upmarket violin or an upmarket SE razor.
    In the case of a razor, I'm willing to pay 10 times as much as you have paid for your decent SE as long as I get 3 times the performance. I'm not going to be doing it every day, but once in a lifetime it's worth being pampered, especially on a thing I'll be using almost every day until I die. In a few years time this outlay is not going to be important or of relevance any more.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  19. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That's a great description Bob. I wouldn't pay that much for a razor of any type and that's just me. I'm frugal! Also, there's the point of diminishing returns that I look at too.

However, I do appreciate fine tools of any type and realize that there's a price to pay for quality and performance. Unfortunately, I will only dream of the Ferraris and Lamborghinis!

20. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Good points Kypros!