What's the deal with Rubberset 400 shaving brushes?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Heljestrand23, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm a longtime lurker(2+ years), thanks for having me on your site!

I'm just curious about Rubberset 400 Brushes? It seems like anytime you see them listed on auction sites that they are ridiculously priced.... I've seen them restored and wow, they are amazing, but is that it. Are they more rare than other brushes or is it the type of aluminum they are made of, or does it simply come down to their looks? Any Rubberset aficionados know the answer?

Attached Files:

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Like pretty much anything shaving related, once a buzz is created about a certain product—especially one that is vintage and relatively rare—"feeding frenzies" occur when this newly-desired item becomes available. Similar to the whole 'Fat Boy' craze— the 400 is a decent product— at least the one I had the opportunity to use— but is it significantly 'better' or 'different' than other vintage brushes in performance? Um.....not in my experience. But they have a certain 'cool' factor, coupled with rarity, which seem to make them desirable enough to achieve higher-than-normal asking/sale prices.
    Its a seller's market when it comes to certain items.

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Yeah most of the time they go for $80.00+ just for the handles. But they are nice looking.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  4. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

They're just cool. That's all.

Douglas Carey and bladeshark like this.
  5. Heljestrand23

So anything below $80 is a deal? Though, condition is a factor...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Yours sold at a record breaking low. I didn't see that coming.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Really depends on how bad you really want it and what you're willing to pay.

8. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Oh be quiet.

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

:signs011:
    If you shop brushes in the sub $30 range there's plastic handles with boar, synthetic, or low grade badger knots. Step up to higher ranges affords custom handles of interesting materials like see through acrylics, exotic woods, and shiny metals. Most of the vintage brushes I've encountered in the wild are old damaged plastic with nasty knots. After seeing photos of the Rubberset 400's with NOS or new replacement knots I really wanted one. I chose to NOT go to ebay. 95% of my vintage gear was found in small shops around town. Through persistence and enjoying the hunt, with a healthy dose of delayed gratification I scored a 400 at a frugal price point. The knot I'll install will cost more than I paid for the handle.
    For me it's not "Nana nana boo boo, I got one and you don't."
    It's "That's so cool! One day I'd like to own one."

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

To answer your questions, Try Here!

Douglas Carey and bladeshark like this.
  11. Heljestrand23

Very cool, thank you. I'm gonna have to pick up one. The ones with the colored washers and silvertip knots look amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk