Asylum RX SE razor.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kypros Christodoulides, Oct 19, 2016.

1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That's all well and good but the reviews I saw had it not even performing as well as the less expensive competition. As a former Porsche owner I understand the draw but my Porsche actually did outperform my dad's Accord.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

I'd like to read those reviews as everything I read about the RX was that's a brilliant shaver.

3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

My woman is also a violinist and it is not just that the violin plays better but they sound different and are suited to different types of music, or give a different feeling etc.

I have some straights that cost more than the Rx razor and it is more than just the quality of the shave it is also how it feels in the hand, how feels in the shave and how it looks. I don't mind paying extra to have beauty in my life. I do have love for all my razors regardless of price. Given the Rx sold out I would say it is not over priced.

I have a Cobra and ATT SE so I'm very curious about the Rx.

PickledNorthern, JR Reyes and clint64 like this.
  4. rawfox1

rawfox1 Well-Known Member

I agree with what you say and saying that, the Rx razor is a beauty and definitely worth the money and having!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Keithmax and clint64 like this.
  5. Keithmax

Just add my woman can pick up a $200 violin and it sounds like a $5,000 violin. Other can make a $100,000 violin sound like a $200 one.

She took me to a violin store when we were on vacation and while I could tell the difference in price the same piece of music played on different violins evoked very different emotions.

clint64 likes this.
  6. Kypros Christodoulides

All violins sound different from each other, even ones from the same maker of the same period. With violins it's a matter of provenance and preservation.
    Assuming the same kind of music, let's say classical, one can find a better sounding and responding violin than a Strad but they are very hard to find. With the razor, comparisons are more equal as one model razor is the same as the next one in the batch.

JazzDoc and Demidog like this.
  7. rawfox1

Yes, and all these people talking about something costing 10 times the amount it should shave 10 times better that's not necessarily or really what it's all about. It's about quality workmanship, Beauty, materials and the enjoyment of actually using the instrument or razor. If you can afford it and enjoy it and have the money why not buy it. If you want to spend no more than $25 for a razor good for you and enjoy that $25 razor..

8. Keithmax

One of many reason why violins cost more than razors.

I asked my woman once why not sell all her violins and just buy the best one? That was the wrong question to ask.

9. Keithmax

:signs011:

clint64 likes this.
  10. Kypros Christodoulides

Obviously she likes them. I wouldn't sell my good one, but the others I have no problem.

clint64 likes this.
  11. Keithmax

She buys and and sells but some are keepers.

12. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

The name Asylum says it all for me!

13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Or a Rocnel SE50 for less than half the price..

I agree it's a beautiful razor and I'd love to have one...but as for the "enjoyment of using the razor" I think the jury is still out.

14. rawfox1

To each his own.

15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

16. spidey9

spidey9 Well-Known Member

After 3 shaves I continue to be impressed with the Asylum Rx. I would still call these first impressions, as there is definitely a learning curve with this razor - each shave has been an improvement over the previous one. So far, the Kai Titan Mild blade is working better for me than the Feather Pro, but I will definitely revisit the Pro after I become more familiar with the Rx.

I'm still getting the angle dialed in, as I don't find it particularily intuitive, but I've just about got it.

Aggressiveness-wise, I find the Rx to be considerbly more aggressive than the Mongoose, ATT SE1 and the aluminum razors - right up there with my Cobra Classic. The smoothness of the razor tends to mask the aggressiveness. This of course is highly subjective, YMMV and all that. In addition, as previously mentioned these are first impressions and subject to revision.

[​IMG]

Pictures don't really do justice to this razor - it has to be handled in order to really appreciate the craftsmanship.

--Bob

MPF9, PLANofMAN, Demidog and 4 others like this.
  17. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I figure if you can afford a nice razor and you want one go for it. It doesn't have to out perform all the razors. It's just needs to be something you will enjoy using. IMHO.

18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Now that's more like it.

19. Kypros Christodoulides

It was offered for sale yesterday. It lasted 90 min. until it got sold out again.
    I missed the opportunity again as at the time I was sleeping.
    I bought one though from a gent that used it twice but preferred his king cobra. I paid the full price less postage.
    This is the very one.
    [​IMG]

PickledNorthern and clint64 like this.
  20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Glad you found one. It's hard to get in the game early sometimes. Let us know how you like it once you get it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk