NEW Derby Premium blades on the market

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SpeedyPC, Oct 22, 2016.

1. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

G'day ;)

I've received an email from Connaught Shaving and I thought you might be interested they've got a new product of Derby Premium blades on the market, super stainless steel blades made with premium Swedish steel and coated with platinum made from Turkey.

Web link:- http://connaughtshaving.com/derbyp.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

Looking forward to a review on these. I wonder if they will be sharper?

Carbide Mike and Douglas Carey like this.
  3. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@Christopher Powell last time I've used the Derby bloody extra they left my face feeling hot, red, puffy, sweaty and unbelievably itchy.......:shocked003: I'm hoping the Derby Premium blades will resolved all these issue.

According to my supplier in Australia the Derby Premium blades will arrived about 2 or 3 weeks, and I will buy 15 blades to try them out soon.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  4. Christopher Powell

Carbide Mike likes this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Interesting but the mention of platinum puts me off. Plats are often among the sharpest but have never found a platinum blade that didn't irritate me mug.

Carbide Mike and Demidog like this.
  6. Christopher Powell

I prefer stainless over platinum but I'm still interested.

Carbide Mike, Demidog and gorgo2 like this.
  7. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I'll have to give them a try.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  8. Edwin Jagger Loyalist

Edwin Jagger Loyalist Active Member

Are these new or just now available to the US?

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Am I the only one wondering how you render a Turkey into a metal coating?

Dansco, brit, jeraldgordon and 5 others like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    No, I was wondering the same thing. And with Thanksgiving just around the corner.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Interesting. I like platinum blades.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  12. Slant Fan

Slant Fan Member

I hated the old green pack Derby Extra when I first tried them, but upon trying again, and again, I came to like them if I was in the mood for a mild shave. At first they seemed dull, but I was comparing them to a Feather, or a Gillette Swede. I found that in an early Super Speed, a mild razor, with patience and concentrating on technique they gave a good shave.

I had been sticking with Feathers for some time now but recently gave the Gillette 7O'clock yellow, and green a try. Love the yellow, and the green wasn't bad either. I might give these a go, but it seems that the Russian made blades are really excellent. At least the blades I've tried.

13. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

The secret is to flash cook them in very hot oil. That way, the skin stays crispy while sealing in the juices.

OTOH... looking forward to the review on these.

brit likes this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

?

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Derby works best in highly aggressive geometry. It's super smooth, but not sharp enough for most people's techniques in mild to moderate razors. It's one of the best choices for Fatip, and I get great results. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the new blades.

LaSalle82 and Carbide Mike like this.
  16. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Well, I have very good experiences with some platinum plated blades. So I am interested in these new blades as well.

Question: is it actually a good sign that a blades manufacturer dares to introduce a new blade (keeping the Polsilver SI need in mind)?

gorgo2 likes this.
  17. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Oh boy. And I was planning on using the Derby Extra for tomorrow's shave. It was the next one in my blade test of the sample pack I bought. A test is a test so I'll try them out.

18. Christopher Powell

Fatips are aggressive razors?

19. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

People sure list it as an aggressive shaver.

I think of it as a super efficient razor, but not especially aggressive if used with a light touch. I think people have trouble with it because it is so light. It makes one want to use pressure. Because of the steep curve of the head, one has to pay attention to the angle of the head and not the position of the handle. It is one of my top three or four DE's, and IMO maybe the top value considering it is an all brass razor that can be bought for less than $30.

20. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

I agree. I find that Derby's work great in my more aggressive razors too..........

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    Bama Samurai likes this.