The Tradere

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Outstanding write up. Good looking razor. :thanks:

Karl G, Morman Bridge and Darkbulb like this.
  2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Another absolutely brilliant shave with the Trade OC (2nd gen).
    I actually didn't need to shave this morning but after yesterday's shave I couldn't wait to.
    Smooth, efficient, fantastic razor to hold (I am getting used to the weight) resulted in one of my best shaves to date.
    Love it.
    Now I need to find an SB version as well....

[​IMG]

3. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I knew you would love that thing...lol.

Have you tried any of the modern SE razors? The ones that take the feather professional blades...like the cobra, king cobra, or mongoose?

I'm curious how you would enjoy those in comparison.

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

It is a fantastic razor :)

I haven't tried any of the modern SE's but I will be getting the OC SE Mongoose as soon as it's released :)

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

And so, sadly, ends my week with the Tradere. It'll be quite a long time until I get a chance to use it again.
    It turned out to be everything I had hoped for it to be - extremely high quality 'look and feel' coupled with some of the best shaves I've ever had.
    Not overly aggressive and so efficient that a two pass shave leaves your face completely smooth without any real need for any touch-up passes.
    The handle felt a bit long to me in the beginning but after just a couple of days of use I wouldn't want it to be any different.
    A fantastic razor that earns the only 9.5 rating in my s/sheet so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Very Nice...good luck beating that one. Of course you have plenty of contenders...lol.

7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think I need to start throwing in some SEs into the mix soon.

8. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Thanks for the fascinating write up. What a shame things ended the way they did. That being said Mr Mason made one great looking razor.

9. Miles853

Miles853 Member

A tradere is one of those Razors that I hope to get hold of in the Future.
    I believe they are no longer in production which is a great shame
    Costly but those looks Wow, just beautiful.

10. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Excellent write up sir! I hope I can acquire one someday.

Karl G and Douglas Carey like this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks!
    Yeah they're not too easy to find these days..seems like the people that have one is not parting with them.
    I'd still like to find a SB one to go with my OC :)

12. ajc347

ajc347 Well-Known Member

Brilliant write-up and great photos. :)

I owned a couple of SB's and an OC but sold the heads on as I really struggled with the design - they just didn't work that well for me unfortunately (along with an Ikon modern and the S3S all of which had a similar head design). They are very well designed and manufactured razors and the handles are great and still see regular service in my collection (I was able to buy a few of both sizes relatively cheaply and they pair really nicely with British NEW and Tech heads).

I'm beginning to to start to wish I had kept the heads now though given their rarity, however sometimes that's just how life goes. :)

13. Slant Fan

Slant Fan Member

Thanks to the OP for the great review. I got lucky, as it turned out, and got a mint 1st gen Tradere in a trade. I already had a 2nd gen handle that I picked up along the way. When I received the 1st gen I was surprised at how much larger and heavier the handle was compared with the 2nd gen. To prove that there are stupid questions ......... is the head on the 2nd gen any different in size than the 1st gen ? I assume it couldn't be much, if anything at all, because it still has to hold a standard sized blade.

BTW, I said in the first sentence that I was 'lucky as it turned out.' I had no idea how the Tradere would shave for me, or if I would like it, and I gave an expensive straight razor for it. Turned out to be one of the best DEs I've ever cut a whisker with.

Edit ; I would have posted a couple of photos but I don't 'meet the requirements' of post count, so will do so in the near future.

14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Cant wait to see the pics.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    Karl G and Douglas Carey like this.
  15. Slant Fan

Slant Fan Member

Well I have to have 3 posts, so if this one does the trick my next post will show the pics if the Lord is willing, and the water don't rise ;-)

Karl G and Darkbulb like this.
  16. Slant Fan

Slant Fan Member

Can't post the photos. Talk to your mods. Guess they think I'm a spammer. Cheers !

Karl G likes this.
  17. bsohne

bsohne New Member

Hi
    Thanks for the write up, I had a oc but sold it off years ago......my daily razor is a 2011 r41 on a bob razor work xl handle

18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks.
    If you ever want to let go of that BRW handle....do let me know please :)

19. bsohne

bsohne New Member

Hi

I actually have a few of bob's handles in storage... the one i am using with the R41 is a tu tone steel and bronze with a bell bottom. i konw i gota post pics or it did not happen....

Bill

20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Obviously sent you a PM :D