Any idea on what this is?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Norcalnewb, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I was looking through the straights I have, and I pulled this one out. I am not sure where I got it, but was wondering if anyone here knew anything about it. There is an etching on the blade that is very faint that states "Acier Forge Garanti".

IMG_4301.JPG IMG_4302.JPG

2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Nice Frameback

Not sure if the "Pick-Bone" style scales are original

4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I love to see that I'm not the only one that picks up a razor and says, "where did I get that?"

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It looks nice. How does it shave?

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  6. Norcalnewb

That certainly looks like the blade. I have tried to look up the G.A.C.R. with little luck.

7. Norcalnewb

After seeing the razor posted by @Billyfergie, I would agree. The scales don't look original.

8. Norcalnewb

I have a few like that. Some people gave to me once the found out I liked razors, others I think may have been included with other razors I was buying. It is a sign I have too many.

Karl G, Billyfergie and mrchick like this.
  9. Norcalnewb

Well, it needs to be honed. That is kind of why I am trying to find some information on it. Before I get it honed, I want to see if it is worth keeping. As I noted above, I am trying to thin things out a bit. This is one razor I can't tell anything about.

10. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

It's beautiful!! I like the shape of the blade and the scales. When I buy my first straight I want that kind of design.

Karl G, Billyfergie and Norcalnewb like this.
  11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

It's a pretty blade. I would love to hear how it shaves.

12. DaltonGang

@Norcalnewb , do you have any more French style Framebacks? If not, keep it.

13. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Whether you use it or not, true framebacks aren't being made anymore that I know of, and haven't been for some time. Yours looks to be in very good shape. I wouldn't worry about non original scales, they look good. Personally, I would put it to use, but you could also display it. ...Or you could put it up for sale/auction and probably get a decent wad of change for it. Framebacks are sought after by some of us vintage nuts (I don't have the funds to make an offer, sorry).

14. Norcalnewb

I have one other frameback, this Scheon Burg, which also needs to be honed. I haven't ever gotten a real shave with a frameback, so I need to get one honed and give it a go.

IMG_4305.JPG

Karl G, Jorvaljr, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  15. DaltonGang

Nice looking Frameback.

I have a fondness for framebacks, especially the Japanese ones. Big, heavy, and made of Swedish steel. All of mine are SWEET shaving razors.
    I just finished honing a French Frameback today. Awesome shave, and smooth as silk.

16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Pretty cool.

Karl G, Norcalnewb and Billyfergie like this.