Pairing Cologne with Aftershave

Discussion in 'Scents' started by bscarpenter, Oct 25, 2016.

1. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

Recently, I've been using some aftershave splashes that I really like, but would like some more longevity and possibly more intensity from them. I've got some Terre D'Hermes to pair with my Fine Accoutrements L'Orange Noir and it pairs up VERY nicely. I really like Fine Accoutrements Santal Absolut as it has a rich sandalwood scent. I decided to look for a sandalwood cologne. After reading some reviews, I took a chance on Taylor of Old Bond Street Luxury Sandalwood Cologne. For an item under $40 it's not really worth the hassle of dealing with samples so I bought a bottle. I shaved this morning and splashed on some of the fine & then applied some of the cologne (splash on, not spray bottle) to my chest, neck & shoulders. The two pair very well together for a warm, but not overpowering sandalwood scent that based on it's performance so far should last the better part of the day. My wife complemented me as I walked past and I must say that I do smell like a proper gentlemen today. Score for a good combo.... I've got some Tabac Cologne on order and will try it with my Ginger's Garden Suede when it comes in, review to come.

Please chime in with some of your best pairings.

SharptoothC, Keithmax, Waate and 2 others like this.
  2. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I've been interested in this topic for a while but I haven't explored too many combinations yet. I do know that one of my favorite scents by far, Ember from TTFFCraft, goes really well with the Herban Cowboy aftershave balm. They are very different scents but somehow, they seem to complement one another.

SharptoothC, Kizurra and Spyder like this.
  3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I was also looking for a sandalwood cologne to pair with my Stirling sandalwood balm. I almost went the TOBS , but took a chance of Arden sandalwood spray cologne. I think this stuff is the bomb! 3.3 ounces for a few pennies south of a $20 is a steal.

I also spray a few shots of Canoe to top off Pinaud Clubman as.

Of course what's better than topping off Tabac after shave balm with Tabac EDC:)

SharptoothC, Kizurra and Demidog like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My shampoo has a different scent than my shower soap,
    That has a different scent than my PSO (when I use it),
    That has a different scent than my shave soap,
    That has a different scent than my aftershave,
    That has a different scent than my cologne,
    That hasa different scent than my pit stick,
    That has a different scent than my 'stache stuff.

With about three dozen soaps, half a dozen colognes, no way I could afford to match it all.
    No matter what I use, no matter the combo, my wife always tells me I smell good. :angelic013:

5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Steve: Your wife is too kind :)

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Wouldn't trade her for the world. 34 years and it just keeps getting better.

7. Crawldawg

Crawldawg Active Member

I like Pi with RR Millionario and Lacoste Yellow with RR Amici.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

SharptoothC and Demidog like this.
  8. bscarpenter

Ginger's Garden Suede and Tabac Original Cologne. Ginger's Garden Suede has notes of tobacco and leather and has a somewhat sweet aroma, though not very sweet like many bay rums. After splashing the aftershave on my face and neck, I put some Tabac in my palm and rubbed it on my shoulders and chest. It is not as strong as I thought it would be, it is very subtle. As the two scents combine in my nose, I smell the odor of unburnt pipe tobacco and well worn leather jacket. It is very subtle yet rich and I like the combo. My wife left before I did this morning, so I'll have to wait for a review from a lady's standpoint, but for me I like this combo.

9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

My take: lavender colognes work with (almost) everything, and are nicely nostalgic.

SharptoothC likes this.
  10. bscarpenter

Tabac Cologne... it grows on you. I have Ginger's Garden Suede aftershave and have found that when I use it, Tabac cologne pairs very nicely with it. This morning, I used Ginger's Garden Dragon's Blood and then applied a good amount of Tabac cologne. They also pair very well together.

11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm not a cologne man, but I seem to recall using the Old Spice duo as a young shaver(I think this was when Old Spice was a Shulton product).

SharptoothC likes this.
  12. Demidog

I know that this thread pertains to cologne and aftershave combos, but strictly regarding fragrances, I'm finding that Aqua Velva goes extremely well the Proraso green and red. I haven't tried the other two Proraso colors yet but hopefully the combination still works out. I think that Aqua Velva enhances the scent of the soap although you could probably get the same result from just using Proraso's own aftershaves.

13. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

And that is the opinion that matters the most, I'm here to tell ya. 'Cause if Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy

SharptoothC, Waate and swarden43 like this.
  14. korbz

korbz Active Member

JPG Le Male and Eufros GEA - outstanding
    Labelle Tobac Vanille and L'occitane Baux - all day long scent

bscarpenter and SharptoothC like this.
  15. Demidog

Proraso red splash and Polo green go well together.

bscarpenter likes this.
  16. bscarpenter

Recently, I've been pairing Sterling Sharp Dressed Man soap & splash on aftershave with Creed Green Irish Tweed & it is VERY civilized.

SharptoothC and Keithmax like this.
  17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

you finished that off with a nice double-negatory.

SharptoothC and RetLEO-07 like this.
  18. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

With Tabac soap, I like English Leather aftershave and Mr. Blass by Bill Blass. Fine Platinum pairs really well with Armaf Club De Nuit Intense. Proraso Green with C.O. Bigelow Elixir Green.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Keithmax and bscarpenter like this.
  19. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

I'm pairing Truefitt & Hill Grafton with Afta balm or Clubman Pinaud.

Drakkar Noir gets paired with Gillette Cool Wave