Iced Tea

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by feeltheburn, Jun 6, 2016.

1. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

One of summertime's simple pleasures. Just made a pitcher of mint green tea with a little bit of sugar in it. I'm from the South but southern style sweet tea has always been a little too much for me. I like mine with just a couple tablespoons in a 2 quart pitcher.

I tried making some sun tea a week or so ago and it always seems to turn out a bit cloudy. Maybe it's the hard water I've got. But if I boil the water in the kettle first, it turns out nice and clear. So that's how I usually do it. Besides cloudy iced tea, I'm also not a fan of tea leaves floating around. So for loose leaf tea, I like to put it in a coffee filter, then twist it closed and hold it with one of those plastic things from a bread loaf bag. I could probably use a better idea than that if you've got one, but at least this does keep the tea leaves out of the iced tea.

How do you like yours?

RyX likes this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Alabama reared, and Texas born, and we share preferences. I like half-sweet tea, clear and fresh.

simms623, RyX and feeltheburn like this.
  3. simms623

simms623 Well-Known Member

Sun tea, no sugar and I wouldn't pass up a lemon wedge either. If it's tea from the stove either hot or iced I like sugar in it and again with some lemon. I like a little cream in my hot tea as well.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

gorgo2 and feeltheburn like this.
  4. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

if we are just talking straight tea, then I go for the deep deep southern sweet....but my fav. is peach tea...and one of the best tea's is the chili's passion fruit (i think thats what its called), but it is AMAZING

RyX and feeltheburn like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Check the gadget isle at your local well stocked grocery store. Find a Tea Ball. I have one that I use when making Minty Sweet Tea.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Brewed black tea over ice, no sugar, no lemon. I drink a couple of large cups every day with lunch, and have for many years.

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I've got a few different ones and still haven't found one that keeps the tea leaves inside. I'll keep looking though.

RyX and Robyflexx like this.
  8. stream26

stream26 Member

I like tea with ginger, lemon and honey most of all. Cold same as hot . Als I love cold peach tea (add to tea peace of peach)

RyX likes this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

I shared some raw honey with a neighbor recently. He's hooked. Now if I can get him to buy his own.

Do you add the peach during brewing, or after?

10. stream26

stream26 Member

I brewing tea with thin slices of peach with honey (sugar) and leaving the fruit to soak in the tea for a few hours .

RyX likes this.
  11. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

We only drink luzianne iced tea.
    Usually that's a 1 gal pitcher of very hot tap water and four family sized tea bags. Place it all in the refrigerator for a few hours and remove the tea bags when it cools. It might last for a day or two and in the summer we make fresh every day but it will last up to three or four days without turning on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PickledNorthern likes this.
  12. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

Luzianne is the brand we use at the house but it has to be very sweet. I usually boil water on the cooktop and throw a bunch of sugar in the boiling water, dissolves the sugar instantly.

13. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Well-Known Member

I like my tea from Long Island, as in a Long Island Iced Tea
    1 part vodka
    1 part tequila
    1 part rum
    1 part gin
    1 part triple sec
    1 1/2 parts sweet and sour mix
    1 splash Coca-Cola®

My wife makes a big pot of iced tea every day around our house. She likes hers unsweetened and then adds splenda to every glass. I prefer mine to have a little sweetness but not what most people would call sweet tea. On a hot summer day there is nothing better.... except for a Long Island Iced Tea LOL

RyX likes this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

You are still young and can get away with that. I've been tapering off my sugar consumption the last couple years. I use 1-1/2 cups for a gallon of iced mint tea. Tried to do Splenda but then I craved sugar.

15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Texas born, lived all over the world, been residing in Texas since 1974.
    My tea is always clear, and I have very hard water. I boil about 6 cups of water, and add the appropriate number of tea bags for the amount of tea I intend to have, in the end. Usually I will make a gallon. Once the water is boiling, I take it off the burner and add the tea. I let it steep for about 10-15 minutes, take the bags and gently squeeze the liquid out. Toss the bags away. Pour the tea in a container and fill it the remainder with ice and cold water. Easy peasy.
    Oh, I hate sugar in my tea, so I take mine straight up, on the rocks.

RyX and gorgo2 like this.
  16. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I am surprised at the number of people that make tea yet don't say what brand tea they use. To me that's the most important part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DaltonGang likes this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Tetley's Brit Blend, cold steeped in an old enamel pitcher, unsweetened. Used to swear by Tips but Tetley's has a slightly better flavor, I think.

Hot tea, I do at a shot of cream.

RyX likes this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'm with you. Since moving to NC, I've learned the hard way that them's fightin' words to some folks. Nearly all restaurants will assume you want sweet so you have to specify.

BigMike and DaltonGang like this.
  19. DaltonGang

I hear ya. I do the same. I'm not into sugary drinks, but I do like a sip of my kids Root Beer now and then, and a Lemonade once in a while.

BigMike and gorgo2 like this.
  20. DaltonGang

Luzianne, Tetley, or Lipton. It just depends on what's around. I don't make it often, usually for guests, get togethers, and parties.
    But, I'm less fond of Luzianne

RyX and gorgo2 like this.