What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

haven`t honed for some days.have one union cutlery to hone,and 3 razors in the mail.But i just bought a zulu gray hone for a good price:) exited to try it when it arives:)
    https://zulugrey.com here is the link to the seller.offer 50% at a limited time.read much good reviews of this stone,

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    Karl G, Kizurra, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  2. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Glad you got it honed. Can't wait to hear how it shaves. Scales look like blond horn dyed to look like tortoise shell.

3. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Actually shaved with my Korn razor today. It had a really comfortable edge that gave a long lasting shave. Getting pretty comfortable on how to finish a razor on the finer two Welsh hones.
    IMG_4991.JPG

Karl G, Kizurra, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Now I'm confused. I was told it might be Tortoise, now Blonde Dyed Horn. Any good pics of the two????. I did shave with it today, and left a review on tthe what Straight Did You Use Today thread.

5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

My wife is away today so I had an entirely free day. I chose to spend the day cleaning and honing razors. All in all it was a good day. I cleaned up a couple of razors that actually cleaned up nicely. Rust was just on the surface and there was no pitting.
    The honing session was quite the learning experience. I bevel set five of the razors with a Naniwa S1000 and most of them went well. I really struggled with tow of them the Russian and the larger Wade and Butcher did not want to give me straight bevels. The weirdest one was the W&B. I had a thin bevel about 1/3 up from the heel but had the thin spot on the other side about 2/3 up from the heel. The only thing I can figure is the blade has a slight twist to it. I spent about an hour getting a bevel on this razor by torquing the blade slightly on each stroke. The Russian wanted to give me a wider bevel in the middle and was consistent on both sides. I ended up dulling the razor and starting over. I ended up with what looks like a decent edge after that.
    The easist to hone out of the group were the two Kamisori and the Dubl Duck Dwarf. The Dwarf was a dream to home and looks great. I watched Glen's @gssixgun video on honing Kamisori and have decided that Kamisori are the easiest for me to hone. Both of them were just touch ups on my Naniwa 12K

[​IMG]

I shave tested the Dwarf and had a wonderful shave [​IMG]

6. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I only said that because of the grain in it looks like horn, and horn was less expensive to make. To me it looks like the dyed spots might have faded, but I have never seen real tortoise shell, so I could be wrong. There is an awesome thread on this at SRP: http://straightrazorplace.com/works...ll-difference-between-tortoise-dyed-horn.html
    SRP appears to be down right now, unfortunately. Here is a picture from that thread.
    Tortoise.htm.jpg

7. DaltonGang

Yep, still down. I can't tell much of a difference, except the lower scales look all eaten up. And the mystery continues.

8. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

As it is raining today I decided to tackle my pride and joy . My GD 66.
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

After looking at different posts on the mods needed on a GD. I decided to take my dremel and go to town. I started on the heal to clear out some of the heel support. As it interferes when honing. Once I had that cleared. I ran it across my 1k to check for clearance. I decided to give the toe a slight Spanish point. After that was done, I did not like the heel. So back to the dremel and round out the back and blend to the tang.

I just finished honing it up. I decided not to use any tape this time out. It took a bit of work to set the bevel. The rest fell into place. I found that this razor seems to be softer than my other blades. I hope it can hold an edge. We will find out tonight.

If it holds an edge. I will be replacing these scales. They REALLY SUCK!!!!!!!

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Tom..Gold Dollars Hold a Great Edge..These SRs are Made of Good Carbon Steel & Very Robust..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

10. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Good to hear. I hope it gives a good shave. It was fun modifying it. I can get a half dozen of these things and play with modifying and honing. On the cheap.

11. mrchick

Nice mods. Looks a lot better. I can't wait to hear how it shaves.

12. DaltonGang

Did you find the blade heated up, during the grind process? If so, did you find a way to cool it, so the temper wasn't lost?

Oh,the razor looks really n ice. Great work.

13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Yes i had a cup of water. I would grind for 10 seconds or si then dip in water. I made sure that it never got to hot to hold. I never got any discoloration. I also used a new 1/2" drum sander.

14. DaltonGang

That's what I wanted to hear. Excellent.
    Are you planning on any decorative spine work?

15. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I will decide if I will go further after my shave. If it shaves well I will spend the time to rescale and clean it up more. That would include a few scallops on the spine.

Tom

16. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

The shave went ok. I think it will be a keeper. Time to figure out my next mods. This will be my rainy day project razor.

Tom

17. mrchick

With the number of rainy day project razors I have, we better hope for a big end to the drought.

18. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    :happy097:

19. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

20161031_053221_resized.jpg
    finaly got time to hone this union cutlery razor.the bevel popped quite fast,but after the 5k stone i noticed a problem.lots of chipping on the edge caused by som pitting on the bevel.so went back to the bevel setter and loaded up with som slurry with a natural nagura provided by the seller.after som more honing i came to good solid steel.
    the other part of the honing went easy, and finished on my black ark. it took an insane edge:cool: test shave will be today.i`m going to clean up the blade a little better later.

20. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My NOS Cowboy Solingen 6/8th Full Hollow Arrived Today from Germany..I Stole this SR..Its Absolute Factory Fresh & it has an Excellent Vintage High Quality Factory Grind..Not One Mark or Blemish on It..I have Nicknamed it the "Duke" After Big John Wayne..:happy097:

There a Bit of Controversy about these SRs..I Don't Know the Truth but the One thing I Do Know is that they have a 1st Class Factory Grind & Good Carbon Steel..Here is One for Sale by a USA Vendor & One Story about its History..;)
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...2BjM5AtJsJBgNILAg&sig2=4yqBEom3oM6zj-7ggBQGyQ

I Honed it On a Naniwa Super Stone Progression..1k, 3k 5k, 8k, 12k & 1 Micron Lapping Film on a Cushion as My Finishing Hone..10 Sets on 0.5 Micron Chro/Ox + 10 Sets on 0.2 Micron Red Rhodium & 100 Lashes on the Tony Miller Heirloom Strop..:D

The Duke is All Saddled Up & Raring to Go..Took One Serious Killer Edge...:happy036: