What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Just Ordered this Current Naniwa Professional Newer Version of the Naniwa Chosera 1 K Stone...I Just Don't Connect with the Naniwa 1 K Super Stone for Bevel Setting..:D

I Sold the Solingen Cowboy 6/8th I Just Honed to Pay for it..Ta Ta..Duke..:happy102:

Billy..:chores016:

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Good stone! My go-to for bevel-setting.

Spyder, Karl G, Kizurra and 2 others like this.
  3. Billyfergie

Aye Kevin..I Just Don't Connect with My 1 K Super Stone..I have Persevered with it..Its a Good Stone but Hey..I Heard You Say that You Liked this Stone..Funny thing is I Love the Super Stone 3k, 5k, 8k & 12k..I Am Enamoured by the Super Stone Progression..Looking Forward to this One..:happy088:

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Is that a 400 grit stone? If so, what 1k stone do you still use?

5. Billyfergie

That's a Negtory..Its Not a 400 Grit Stone..This is a (1000 Grit) 1 k Bevel Hone..I Like the Naniwa 1 K Super Stone for Re Setting Bevels or Re Freshing Bevels that have Previously been Correctly Set..It Works Well for Me & I Will Continue to use it for that..I Don't Like it for Restoring Bevels or Working on SRs that Need some Work..I Find it a Bit Soft for that..But Hey..That's Just Me Talkin..;)

Spyder, Kizurra, Karl G and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

20161102_233141_resized.jpg 20161102_233204_resized.jpg
    todays honing session. my two latest e-bay finds. robeson shuredge and Wade & Butcher. will try them out on my next shaves.

Steve56, Spyder, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  7. DaltonGang

Confused I am. :yoda The P304 Box you show says a 400 particle size, it does.

8. DaltonGang

9. Billyfergie

I Just Showed the Wrong Box is All..Numpty Heid..:happy097:

twhite, Kizurra, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  10. DaltonGang

No, you were just screwing with my "Anal Compulsive" "OCD" head. :angry032:

twhite, Kizurra, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  11. Billyfergie

:rofl:

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

P-310. You could do a 400 grit to bevel set, but you'll have quite a bit of work to even it out...:D
    [​IMG]

Jim99, Keithmax, twhite and 4 others like this.
  13. DaltonGang

Niiiice. Nice collection of stones.

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thanks! I've a new jnat (Okudo suita) I've added to the rock pile that I'm anxious to give a run on some razors. Maybe this weekend....

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  15. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

20161101_190544_resized.jpg 20161101_190733_resized.jpg 20161101_192806_resized_1.jpg 20161101_192642.jpg 20161101_192843_resized_1.jpg pre honing, long overdue like most I clean them up just enough to get an edge and use them. Finally got around to finish this one. 120 grit up to 3200 by hand. Thorough scale cleaning and buff. Pins cleaned, buffed and tightened. Mild buffing with green compound on 8 inch wheel since I wanted to keep most the sanding lines.One deep little spot left on blade but I'll have to live with it. Hoping to have time to hone tonight or tomorrow night.

Jim99, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My first use of this recently acquired long & narrow Okudo Suita— a pre-finisher that measures 8" long by 1.75-2.25 wide /.625 thick. Lapped & edges beveled on both sides (both sides usable). Very fine grit and good hardness; quick cutter. I built a base of cherry wood (waterproofed) to raise the stone for use and save my knuckles. The stone came with a tomonagura but I opted to raise slurry with a diamond plate.
    [​IMG]

For this first attempt, I had a restored Japanese Hayashi Diamond 77—with a 'modified' heel— a razor made of quality steel that takes a killer edge. Single layer of 3M tape & bevel set on the Chosera Pro 1k. Slurry raised with the diamond plate on the new suita. Because of the razor's modification (truncated heel), the edge is slightly over 2" long and so fits quite nicely on the suita with heel-first strokes (see photo below).
    [​IMG]

I did around 40 or so laps, thinning the slurry with water as I progressed. For the finisher, I used a very hard Shobudani asagi (grey stone, pictured in top left of photo above) with a Mikawa nagura progression (4 slurry-making stones, each one finer than the previous). Finished with a tomonagura slurry on the hard stone, diluting to simply water at the end. Hair-popping sharp off the stones.
    I gave the razor 75 laps on linen; 50 laps on coarser leather strop and finished with 50 laps on an uber-soft bridle leather strop. HHT 4-5 as hair fell silently on the heel, mid and toe.

Gonna give it a shave tonight! :)

17. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    I Got My Current Naniwa Professional Newer Version of the Naniwa Chosera 1 K Stone Delivered Today in the Post..I Lapped it & thought I would Give it a Test Drive to Get the Feel of it..All My SRs in My Collection are Shave Ready with Superb Edges so I Wasn't Into Killing One for the Sake of Playing with a New Stone..;)

I Decided to Pull Out an NOS CV Heljestrand SE Blade from a Batch of 5 that I Bought Some Time Ago to Set the Bevel on My New Stone..These Blades are Factory Fresh & I have Been Using a Couple of them for Sometime after Honing them Up..These SE Hollow Ground Blades Hone Up the Exact Same Way as an SR..Take about the Same Time Scale as Well..I Learned to Hone on these SE Hollow Ground Blades..:)

I Am Plugging Away & Going..Hmmm..This Stone is Crapier than Crap Man..The Blade was Making a Tinny Sort of Noise on the Hone & I Wasn't Quite Getting the Swarf that One Might Expect to See..I Had this Experience Recently with an SR that had been Restored & Polished with a Dremel that I Got to Hone from Someone..The Temper had been Destroyed with Heat..:D

Checking Under the Loupe I Could See the Edge Crumbling as I Was Attempting to Set the Bevel..A Dud Blade from the Factory with No Temper was the Culprit Right Enough..Anyway..I Got a Good Feel for the Stone..:happy088:

Trust Me to get a Factory Dud Blade the 1st Time I Played with My New Stone..:happy102:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  18. DaltonGang

That's too bad. It's had to come by those blades, at least over here. Is there a way you can reset the temper? Heat it up and quench it. That's how they did it originally. It couldn't hurt the blade any more than it already is.

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Not likely salvageable. You can grind away until you hit solid steel, but it can be an iffy proposition at best. too bad.

Kizurra, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  20. Billyfergie

Spot on Kevin..I Kitchen Knifed the Edge on the Side of the Stone Once & Started Again for Benefit of Doubt to No Avail..It was Crumbling Again in No Time..I have a Handful of Minted SE Hollow Ground Blades that will Last Me a Lifetime..:)