Any Bourbon Drinkers Here?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Brigadier, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I've just started exploring the wourld of bourbon and have only tasted four roses an regular Jim Beam. The latter was surprisingly tasty, while the former had too much of a Klar Kabinett taste to it.
    I am considering Maker's Mark or Buffalo Thrace for my next purchase. I just need to finish my Jim Beam first

2. GSlim66

GSlim66 Well-Known Member

I've yet to try Woodford but I hear it's very good. I like the clean look of it as well.

3. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

WL Weller is also a wheated bourbon (like Makers Mark). You might take a look at it. I prefer it Jim Beam. Jack Daniels and George Dickel are Tennessee Sour Mashes, very similar to bourbon but they have a final charcoal filter step.

Just some suggestions for alternatives, I expect Norway doesn't have a great selection of bourbons. Are all the liquor stores still operated by the government?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    Norseman likes this.
  4. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Thanks. Yes all the liquor stores are still operated by the government with a limited selection of Bourbon. A concept quite alien to most of you, I'm sure. :)
    I will take a look at the alternatives. I just picked based on certain noobie Bourbon lists I have read.
    I am not too much of a fan of Jack Daniels, granted I have only tasted it once. And it was a while a go. Perhaps a smaller bottle would be an idea, just to give it another shot. I would assume that it isn't the best selling whiskey brand in the world for nothing :)

5. damnitgoose

damnitgoose Well-Known Member

Woodford Reserve and Makers mark are my go to. Love the stuff

6. trufunk

trufunk Member

Dood, [​IMG]
    A nice pour of Weller 12 and Old Weller Antique blend. I like 4 Roses try the small batch, Old Granddad 114 is really good also. There are so many!

Erik Redd likes this.
  7. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I like "Early Times" Kentucky Whiskey myself, although I will drink whatever is available. :happy097:

TheFiveO likes this.
  10. Jvanis

Jvanis Active Member

Wow I am so happy to find this thread.
    I like the saltieness of Boomers in the right occasion
    Bulleit is one of my go to drinks
    Woodford is another great choice, I actually prefer the normal over th e special reserve
    Willet is another great choice the bottle alone rocks!

Two I have yet to see mentioned
    Elija Craig - pushes the upper proof limit and packs a punch of flavor, this is a must try in my opinion

My all time favorite is Jefferson's Ocean, on the pricy side, but one of the most drinkable and best tastes I have found.

I have yet to see a Blanton bottle for sale, but have tried once at a hotel bar

11. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

When talking about adult beverages, sipping bourbon neat is my drink of choice. I've tried several nice bourbons, but I keep coming back to Maker's Mark. I really like the mellow flavor.
    Others that I've tried that I like are Four Roses Small Batch, Buffalo Trace, and Woodford Reserve. I tend to stay away from the 100 proof stuff because I enjoy the flavor and I'm not seeking the quick buzz. When we took a recent trip out west, I ended up picking up a pint of Jim Beam simply because I didn't want to waste any good stuff. But I must have liked it, I ended up buying a second one while we were there. ;)
    Before discovering bourbon, I used to enjoy Jameson's on the rocks. :D

TheFiveO likes this.
  12. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Whiskey has always been my preferred drink. My very first alcoholic beverage was J&B Scotch (I thought I was going to die). I was in college (yes back then the drinking age was 18) and a girl bought the scotch for me. I ended up marrying her (46 years ago). I now I am into the better brands of scotch (Oban preferred) but still like my bourbon. Woodford Reserve and Basil Hayden's are my go to bourbons. In fact as I write this post I have a glass of Basil Hayden's next to the keyboard.

13. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Last month, I helped a family friend do some work on a door that broke in his house. Afterwards, he gave me a glass of Bullet Bourbon. I had it on the rocks and sipped it slowly as we sat watching football. It was great.

crackstar likes this.
  14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Not really a bourbon drinker but I LOVE scotch!

15. matteob

matteob Active Member

I love bourbon and Scotch and Irish: typical British pisshead/boozer lol.

No in all seriousness yes. Bourbon is lovely when I am in the mood but only really have had Jack Daniels. I am guessing you can pay a lot of money for it as you can Scotch. I find bourbon has a sweeter undertaste along with the smokiness: caramel which I like.

16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Jack Daniel's isn't Bourbon.

LaSalle82 and Erik Redd like this.
  17. countryheathen

countryheathen Well-Known Member

I'm not a big drinker, but when drinking I prefer New Holland Beer Barrel Bourbon, and on occasion a good cigar but that's another thread.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

18. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

True, and George Dickel #12 is a better Tennessee Sour Mash (and cheaper), so nobody should be drinking Jack Daniels anyway.

GatorJoe likes this.
  19. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Jim Beam Black is actually one of my regular bourbons that I enjoy.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  20. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I held a bourbon tasting party a while back. Knob Creek came out my favorite.

TheFiveO and Bama Samurai like this.