PAL Adjustable Pass Around - Now Closed

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Karl G, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

The PAL Adjustable is back in action and the pass-around is now re-started. :happy036: A new rule regarding cleaners/disinfectants has been added - please see the second rule below.

How to Sign Up:

Easy, if you agree to the rules, simply post your request on this thread and you're in!

What are the rules?:
    · First - NO TWIN BLADES. They will not fit and their use will damage the razor.

· Second - DO NOT USE ALCOHOL, AMMONIA, MINERAL SPIRITS or cleaners with CHLORIDES in them (fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine, etc.) to disinfect the PAL Adjustable. They will damage the razor.

· Shave as often as you like but please forward the razor after you’ve had it for 10 days. If you don’t like it or are done with your evaluation early, send it on then to make the wait shorter for your fellow enablees.

· Please post comments about your shaves. Liked it, didn't like it, tried something different, how it compares to other shaves - any impressions at all.

· When you are done, contact the next person after you for their address and mail it to them in a box – not an envelope. Please be sure it is insured for $50 as you are responsible for the razor from the time you receive it until the time the next person receives it.

· A tracking number must be assigned to the shipment. Please post it or PM the tracking number to me and to the next person on the list when you ship it.

· Prior to shipping the razor, disinfect the razor and to send it with a blade loaded. Do NOT send the razor on without a blade loaded. Keep the setting at H while in transit.

· After you receive the razor please let us know that you received it with a post on the thread.

I recommend that you sterilize the razor when you receive it and replace the blade. The mildest setting is the L and the most aggressive is at H. This can be a very aggressive razor on the highest setting so proceed with caution.

That's it! Time to get this pass around re-started. :happy093:

PAL Adjustable right.JPG

Robyflexx and Billyfergie like this.
  2. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

The PAL Adjustable is back in action. Here is the updated list:

1. dustmite
    2. PLAla
    3. whiteboy_cannon
    4: cliffb599
    5. jimjo1031
    6. Herm2502

7. Bama Samurai (has the PAL Adjustable)
    8. red abalone diver
    9. wmbjr
    10. som
    11. kanos
    12. PickledNorthern

The list is open, all aboard for the PAL Adjustable train... :transport022:

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I have it and we are back! Will start tomorrow.

PickledNorthern and Karl G like this.
  4. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Great stuff Chris! So sorry for the delay. I think your wait will be worth it!

5. Bama Samurai

No worries at all! We are ready to resume like nothing happened.

RyX and Herm2502 like this.
  6. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

I'll give it a try if its not too late!:)

Bama Samurai, Robyflexx and Herm2502 like this.
  7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

You'll love it!

HERM

8. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

You're in - just review the rules on the first post.

Here's the updated list - plenty of room for some more! :)

1. dustmite
    2. PLAla
    3. whiteboy_cannon
    5. jimjo1031
    6. Herm2502

8. red abalone diver
    9. wmbjr
    10. som
    11. kanos
    12. PickledNorthern
    13. ilts

The PAL Adjustable is one beautiful shaver for anyone who masters "catching the shy girl." :cool:

Robyflexx, Billyfergie and ilts like this.
  9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

@Karl G - My name can come off, as I bought one, and it is working fine. I am just following along with you guys. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robyflexx, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  10. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Thanks for letting me know! I hope you love it as much as I love mine. :happy093:

New list waiting for some curious souls...

1. dustmite
    2. PLAla
    3. whiteboy_cannon
    5. jimjo1031
    6. Herm2502

8. red abalone diver
    9. wmbjr
    10. som
    11. kanos
    12. ilts

Come one, come all, step right up and get your very own shave from the Mighty PAL Adjustable. :bounce017:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  11. Bama Samurai

:)
    Karl...great timing! I have used the PAL twice now, and will post the (yet-to-be-written) reports late tonight. :)

12. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Right on Steve! .....:transport022:

Karl G, ilts and Bama Samurai like this.
  13. Robyflexx

That's what I'm talkin' bout Karl! .....:transport022:

Karl G, ilts and Bama Samurai like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

(my photo production and writing schedule is waaaaay behind today... Apologies, will deliver as soon as I can.)

Karl G, ilts and Robyflexx like this.
  15. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The PAL is at the top of my list. This is a great razor! If you haven't signed up, I urge you to do so now. Yes, it's that good!

16. Robyflexx

+1 :happy088:

Karl G likes this.
  17. Bama Samurai

The PAL Passaround is back...

image.jpeg

and after last week's long and winding road, Bama Samurai is back too, with said PAL..​

image.jpeg

Products used in this exercise:
    Arko
    Plisson Synthetic
    Alum
    Schick Injector Blades (China)​

Sorry for the delays, been a bit occupied....I received the PAL on Friday, 4 November, and used it the first two day set on "H", and yesterday one sitting below. The injector class at safety razors are my preferred razors when not using an SR configuration. In terms of performance, the injectors always seemed to better emulate the results I can achieve with a straight versus any DE style razor I've yet tried. The PAL was no exception, and in its first two uses seemed to be quite a bit like the venerable Schick G in terms of aggressiveness. I was able to get the usual DFS on two passes, but found that the PAL irritated my skin more than the Schick. I believe this a a function of the razor design. This razor has a more head-forward center of mass than any safety razor I've used, and this translated into to much pressure on the skin surface. By day two I had made the adjustment and had a better day. On Day 3, even the slight gap closure rendered the razor too mild for my techniques. The conclusion I draw, PAL wide open is best for me, but I probably won't ever purchase one. The center of mass just doesn't feel right for me. One thing I was really impressed with was the design and visual appearance. Very industrial looking, and built from nice steel. The adjustment mechanism is beautiful in its simplicity, and seems like a perfect mechanism for adjusting gap on an injector. I need to announce in advance to @Karl G and @red abalone diver , I will be ready to ship Friday so the next trial can begin on Monday or Tuesday (14-15Nov). This week has me away from easy postal access to shipping until Friday. Thanks again @Karl G and I will check back in to report subsequent tests, will go until Thursday or blade death. Hope fully this week won't be filled with incidents, accidents, occurrences and happenings that keep me away!
    This is off topic:

Find someone you love today. They're hurting just like you. Love is the way out of troubles.

Don't be absent. You may be the most important thing to happen to them today!

Have a wonderful evening.

Herm2502, MPF9, ilts and 4 others like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

PAL Passaround days 3-6

image.jpeg

Three more shaves with the PAL, dipped it down to halfway for day one. Though my angle and pressure were much better, more aggressive means gentler in my case, as less pressure is needed to cut to skin level. So, for the last two the razor was set back to H, or wide open. Once I got a better feel for the center if mass, the H setting provided a really nice two pass shave on both days. The only issue was that on the last shave, the blade started to pull just a tiny bit, so that will conclude my shaves with the PAL Adjustable. The blade lasted for six shaves, and I feel like I could get ten shaves now that I understand the angle. Bad angles reduce blade life! Thanks again @Karl G , it was a very nice treat to get to use a vintage specimen of this quality.

@red abalone diver

Herm2502, ilts, twhite and 3 others like this.
  19. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

The PAL Adjustable is on the move. The order has been reshuffled as we couldn't get a response from @red abalone diver. Here is the updated list:

1. dustmite
    2. PLAla
    3. whiteboy_cannon
    5. jimjo1031
    6. Herm2502
    7. Bama Samurai

8. wmbjr (waiting on the PAL Adjustable)
    9. red abalone diver
    10. som
    11. kanos
    12. PickledNorthern

The list is open to all comers - here's your chance to try out one of the all time classic injectors. :happy036:

Robyflexx likes this.
  20. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Hey Karl you dropped me off the list:angry017:

Karl G and Robyflexx like this.