Which is the real 1912 razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Slow Joe, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I thought I had a 1912 Single edge razor. Two in fact. One is a Ever Ready 1912, the other a Star 1912. I had heard great things about this razor so I was disappointed to find the performance to be quite average.
    I bought myself a Minute Man
    [​IMG]

not because I wanted another 1912 but because I really liked the holder.

Too my suprise the accompanying razor to the minute man was very different to my 1912s. The head is very smaller, it is much easier to maneuver and gives a brillant shave. It's like a completely different razor to my other too.

[​IMG]

In this picture the Gem is in the middle, the Ever Ready on the left and the Star on the right.

So which razor is the real 1912?

GAW9576 and Karl G like this.
  2. spidey9

spidey9 Well-Known Member

They all are. The "1912" is a design type characterized by a spring-loaded cap with a tab at the rear for opening and a sort of semi-lather catcher frame. There are numerous variations.

The first 1912 isn't even a 1912. The Gem De Luxe was introduced in 1911 and was the first razor utilizing this design, even though it did not have the "Pat'd 1912" stamped around the handle screw hole.

Next were the Gem Damaskeenes, from 1912 until early 1920's. There are open and closed comb versions, along with flat and curved cap versions.

In 1919 Gem, Kampfe Bros. (Star) and Ever-Ready all became part of American Safety Razor (ASR). During the 1920's variants of the 1912 (including your Gem and Star) were produced under all 3 brands. A low profile "squat head" version was introduced for use in slim travel sets.

In 1930 ASR re-introduced the 1912 under the Ever-Ready label as the Improved Ever-Ready Razor, manufactured in both their US and British facilities. Your Ever-Ready is one of these.

The Gem Junior, also a 1912 design, was introduced around 1938 and sold in different variations well into the 1940's.

All the different variants are considered 1912's. Shaving characteristics vary considerably among the different versions.

--Bob

3. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Thank you very much Bob for this wealth of information. Its always great to get some background knowledge on these razors.

Sent from my LG-V480 using Tapatalk

Karl G likes this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Now try a 1914. ;)

Karl G and RyX like this.
  5. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

there are 2 types of 1912 heads, ones is aggressive but still a notch below MMOC aggression ( I call this one Senior) and the other 1912 head that is even milder than the MMBT and that head is called Junior. They both are great shavers but the Senior head is top notch because is on the aggressive side.

clint64 likes this.
  6. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I only recently got my first SE razor, a gem 1912. I haven't used it because I am cleaning it. Also, I need to find some blades.

clint64 likes this.
  7. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Blades shouldn't be too hard to find locally.

In my area, a couple of the supermarkets and big chain drugstores sell Gem by Personna Stainless Steel blades. Also, a number of the independent pharmacies sell Gem Blue Star (i.e., Carbon Steel) blades.

As long as you don't buy the ones from Home Depot or Lowes you should be fine.

twhite and clint64 like this.