The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I am not a big spearmint fan so I haven't tried that one, but I bet the spearmint adds to the cooling sensation. Don't feel like the lone ranger, my eyes water when I use glacials.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crackstar and Robyflexx like this.
  2. PickledNorthern

dustmite has signed the petition!

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I think you just either have sensitive skin or a mild allergic reaction. There's nothing girly about that.

Robyflexx and PickledNorthern like this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I dislike too much menthol as well and I am the farthest thing from a "girly man" :p

Robyflexx and PickledNorthern like this.
  5. Straight razor dandy

A) Gatlinburg is a great fall/winter scent. It is very strong, and I have no doubt that the woodsy scent will turn some people off. For me, it is like a walk in the East Texas woods. You may want to start with a sample first.

B) Chill soaps are more mentholated than Hydra and glacial are Waaaayyyy more mentholated than Hydra

C) Mita falls in the upper category of the Chill soaps. It is one of my favorites. It was offered as a glacial in the past...hopefully it will be again...I'm sure there is a large enough market for it.

The m-bomb is a great shave den add on. I highly recommend it.

Paul Turner and Robyflexx like this.
  6. banks741938

banks741938 Well-Known Member

Thanks that is exactly what I was asking about. What is m-bomb?

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. Straight razor dandy

It is a menthol additive made and sold by @Queen of Blades through the shave den and ebay

Robyflexx likes this.
  8. banks741938

Got ya. I have seen that in the shave den store. Thanks

Robyflexx likes this.
  9. PickledNorthern

Whenever I am curious about a scent, I like to buy the aftershave samples. I feel like they are less of a commitment. If I put a sample puck in a mug or bowl and don't like the scent, I feel like I am stuck with it for five or six more shaves. If I get an AS and don't like the scent, the little bottle gets set aside, and PIFfed or given away.

Robyflexx and Paul Turner like this.
  10. PickledNorthern

I don't very often use pre shave oil until winter has set in a bit and my skin is drying out. But when having a shave with Stirling Gentleman, I use it just because it smells so good that I can't get enough.

Guys I am telling you, if you like "barbershop-ish" scents, but don't care for powder, you have to try this. I am poor at describing scents, but it is a light tobacco, vanilla for sure, and a little musky. My wife loves it which helps, but this could easily be my only aftershave once the temps cool off, until spring.

[​IMG]

ezlovan, PLAla, Robyflexx and 3 others like this.
  11. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

For me the Glacials are the ultimate face-freezing soaps since I'm a self-admitted menthol freak who is hopelessly-addicted. (absolutely NO treatment will cure me!) The regular version of MITA is awesome - lovely scent, wonderful lather, and very good chilling along with great post-shave care. IMHO the present batches of the Glacials have left the Yeti Snot miles behind in freezing power and have slightly surpassed the mighty Cryogen. The Frozen Tundra is also very, very cold and I would say it's probably second in strength to the Glacials. The Black Ice is at around the upper medium level - nowhere near to how a Glacial soap can freeze, but still colder than cold enough. BTW, all the Glacials are a pleasure to lather up with now since Rod fixed the formulas!

12. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I fit your category of liking Barbershop-ish scents but not on the powdery end. I need to give Stirling Gentleman a try!

Paul Turner and PickledNorthern like this.
  13. PickledNorthern

@ezlovan:

[​IMG]

Thank you Rod and Mandy for your service, and for working so hard to be such a valuable part of our little world.

14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I think the Gentleman will be my next Stoylin.

PLAla likes this.
  15. Paul Turner

With respect to the petition idea, I am not signing, simply because Rod already has a Lemon Chill and an Orange Chill.

16. PickledNorthern

No prob, to each their own.

The orange isn't a glacial, which is sort of what prompted my whole interest in the soap. I prefer the orange to the lemon, but the two together is perfect. Also, Glacial runs come and go, so it isn't necessarily a permanent change in the line up.

17. Paul Turner

ohh, ok. yes, you're right, the Orange Chill doesn't have the G word in front of it.

18. PickledNorthern

Realistically, when people are day dreaming of Pumpkin Spice, Fall leaves and Apple Cider, it is not the best time to gauge interest in a Glacial. I will revive the movement in the spring when people are thinking more along the lines of citrus and mint.

19. banks741938

Good idea!!

20. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

So do mine!

PickledNorthern likes this.