Anybody cut the cord?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by txskimo, Jun 11, 2015.

1. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I'm very interested in this Tablo idea

2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

https://www.tablotv.com/

It works very well, I only wish I had got the four tuner version as opposed to the two!

ob1page likes this.
  3. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Thank you!

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Tablo, Hulu, and Netflix here.

RaZorBurn123 and ob1page like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Apple TV 4, SlingTV, Hulu and Netflix. The Apple TV 4 is a fantastic product, it's really made cutting the cord easier.
    I believe in the next few weeks we will see 3-5 new players in no contract bundles that work for the viewers not the big cable companies.

Jim99 and BamaT like this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I still haven't cut the cord yet. I'm on the fringe of broadcast TV and have no option for the local news and sports. One of my neighbors tried and he said the reception was poor with the antenna he purchased. That stopped me.

That's the only thing holding me back. I'm hoping for a provider that can offer a local TV bundle.

Maybe a better antenna would work.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I shut the cable off maybe four years ago. Netfix and Amazon give me more tv than I even care to watch. When Sling TV came out, I signed up for the basic package to get ESPN during college football season. I cancelled it when the season was over. I am doing the same thing this year. I just sort of think of it as PPV for football games. Without installing a rooftop antenna local stations aren't gonna happen. I just don't care for TV enough to bother.

Demidog likes this.
  8. Linuxguile

Demidog likes this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

SlingTV has fox and NBC, you could add ABC. CNN and a bunch of other good shows.

Demidog likes this.
  10. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Never heard of the Tablo before but it looks interesting. I cut the cable years ago and it wasn't a problem because I couldn't find any shows that I wanted to watch anymore. My TV has been collecting dust all this time though so I bought a Chromecast a few months ago. It's good for when I hit the sack - I just find some Bob Ross videos on Youtube and cast it to the TV.

The only live TV that I wanted to watch in recent years was the primary and presidential debates. Fortunately, it seems like big networks are happy to stream these live so I was able to catch them. Several of my family members also have Netflix and cable subscriptions, and they're more than happy to share those with me. The cable subscription unlocks access to the live TV feature in many mobile applications so if I ever run out of Bob Ross videos, I can always fall back on that.

RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  11. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Do you know if they have Fox News, as opposed to "regular" fox?

12. RaZorBurn123

No Fox News. Maybe one of the new players coming on board will offer Fox News? If I see it happen I'll let you know Mark.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  13. Linuxguile

markjnewcomb and Demidog like this.
  14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Besides having Netflix, Amazon Prime and access to some one else's Hulu plus, I use two sites that streams TV shows (OTA, Cable, Satellite) a day after they are broadcast. They also have many TV series, and movies, from the past that can be watched, usually with every episode ever made. So if you don't mind watching a TV show a day after it's broadcast, it's totally free. I also have a laptop connected to a large screen TV for viewing, but a smart TV connected to the internet would be great as no HDMI cable is needed.

RyX and markjnewcomb like this.
  15. gms541

gms541 Member

I have a Roku3 w/HULU & Netflix. The one thing I miss is a program guide for some of the OTA channels. The locals I can get from the newspaper, but all the others are a mystery. I channel hop until I see something I like.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  16. Bill01

Bill01 New Member

Take a look at the TitanTV app for the iPad. It shows ota channels based on your zip code

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jimjo1031 likes this.
  17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Can also be bookmarked on a PC or any tablet if someone doesn't use iPads. It's a good guide.

18. gms541

gms541 Member

GREAT!! Just what I needed. Thanks.

19. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I'm late to the party on this discussion but I cut the cord quite awhile ago.

Your best friends will be an HD antenna (for local channels). An Amazon fireatick (an unlocked one can get you every movie and TV show in existence... Even up to date ones, for free...as well as tons if I've TV and pay per view for free). Lastly, sling TV or roku are great. You will have to pay, but VERY little.

20. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I have noticed that Youtube almost always has someone live streaming the news channels that I like.

RyX likes this.