Pearl DE Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Key2Wellness, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Key2Wellness

Key2Wellness Active Member

Does anyone have feedback on Pearl razors. They look nice. Might they be good for a collection and how well do they work?
    http://www.pearlshavingusa.com/

2. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

The products displayed on that page look a lot like Parker razors. I see they say they've been around since 1990 and produce their own razors, but I also note they sell in India, which is where Parker razors come from. I'm thinking those are rebranded Parker razors.

EDIT: did a little research and they probably aren't Parker razors. They look similar and the cost is equivalent. I'd expect similar quality.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    Carbide Mike likes this.
  3. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I have tried a Pearl TTO razor in the past. It was not for me; too bulky head and too harsh feeling.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  4. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I have a Pearl open comb, and I like it.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  5. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I haven't owned one but I just looked at the website. Nice looking stuff they make. I would say that I am not surprised at Eeyore and dustmite's respective answers, because just looking at the razors, it appears to me that the company does two- or three-piece designs much better than TTOs -- the heads of the TTOs look much chunkier than those of equivalent vintage Gillettes while the others are very sleek and trim.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  6. dustmite

Yep, mine's a 3 piece. I wanted an OC, tried to snag a few vintage Gillette's on ebay, didn't want to pay the prices they were going for, and gambled on the Pearl. I have no complaints about the razor, although I did receive a faulty bottom plate that the seller replaced. Can't complain, I got a perfectly serviceable head and a great handle for ~$20.

Carbide Mike and Key2Wellness like this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

If memory serves me right the company that makes Pearl also made the Cadet razors.

PickledNorthern and Bama Samurai like this.
  8. dustmite

Yes, I was trying to remember which company it was. I found mostly good reviews for both Pearl and Cadet.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Cadet, Pearl, and the old version of the RazoRock Jaws are all the same. I have the open comb and it's a fantastic shaver! It's more aggressive than the Gillette OLD type, but not as aggressive as the Fatip Piccolo, it's both aggressive and smooth. This is the place to buy from.

10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Correct.

Cadet OC is about like Fatip in geometry.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  11. dustmite

Got mine from the same seller, but their ebay store.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Maybe the three piece, but definitely not the TTO open comb, in my experience.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  13. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello folks, I have tried numerous Pearl razors and I find the open comb version to be the most efficient. Also a bit aggressive. All the Pearl razors I tried were three piece razors , some safety bar models, and some OC models. They are all good razors. I did not use a Pearl TTO, but I did have a couple of the Cadet TTO OC razors. Those I found to be crazy aggressive and difficult to use. I like aggressive/efficient razors , but the Cadet TTO OC is too much for my tastes.

14. Bama Samurai

Granted, agree, was referring only to 3pc design.

Eeyore likes this.
  15. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I have 3 of them and they are all TTO's all brass. They are the most used ones cause of the ease to clean and load and shave with them. Keeping 2 of the TTO's open comb and closed comb for my self and selling another unused closed comb TTO in a lot here, not sure if this is legit to do but here is my FS/FT thread http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/fs-ft-shaving-gear-2-lots.53464/

16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

There's a store near me called "Man's Den", or something like that, and they sell Pearl razors.

As they let you handle their merchandise, these razors appear to be well made and the prices are reasonable. As already stated by one of the other posters, I believe they're made in India.

I have been tempted to buy the three piece open comb and, with the comments made here, I might just pick one up!

dustmite, Bama Samurai and Robyflexx like this.
  17. Bama Samurai

I fully endorse the OC 3pc. It's about like Fatip and is great for efficiency and two pass DFS. Ride the cap like you mean it.

dustmite and Jim99 like this.
  18. dustmite

I recommend it, I don't think that you'll be disappointed.

Jim99 likes this.
  19. Nolin Chitnis

Nolin Chitnis New Member

I have a Pearl SS-01 and it shaves very well. A safe well made razor. Mild not too aggressive. Before my purchase I did a bit of research on both Pearl and Parker. In India, Pearl razors are a bit cheaper than Parker razors with the prices being in the USD 10/- range on average. Parker razors meanwhile cost anywhere between USD 20/- to USD 50/-. However if you dig a bit deeper you will find that while you get lot of information on Pearl (factory address, owners, setup, facilities etc) almost nothing is there on Parker. So I believe Parker's outsource their manufacturing and are mostly a branding / marketing company. If they did have a manufacturing setup since 1973 as they claim, there would have been something on the internet. The only information you have is that the company has 2 owners. That's it. So looking at the facilities (including in-house designing) I feel Pearl are in a better position to achieve consistent product quality and relibility.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Jim99 and Terry like this.
  20. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I have a Pearl TTO OC.
    Not for the Super Speed lover.
    But a nice razor.
    tp

Ijustmissedthe50s and Herm2502 like this.