help on james barker barber chair

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Roger Brow, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Roger Brow

Roger Brow New Member

i have a tilt-back latch arm chair. It appears to have missing the mechanism for the back tilt. The photo shows the rack where this mechanism would go. I cannot locate anywhere a photo or diagram of this missing piece. Does anyone have any images of a barker chair similar to this one or can provide any additional information.
    DSCN5714.JPG DSCN5713a.jpg

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If you are lucky, there will be patent numbers somewhere on it. It's a "Barker" Iron Chair, and it has been patented. If you can find the numbers for the chair you should be able to look up the patent diagrams on www.freepatentsonline.com

http://images.cloud.worthpoint.com/...208/03/1_478d71ee2788f125f98b844a0a5e6988.jpg here's what it sold for new.

That's where I found the patents for the Shake Sharp Razor.

If you don't have the patent numbers, try these people. http://www.antiquebarberchairs.org/ The forum there will be better equipped to help you out.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  3. Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre New Member

I know this is a few years later but did you ever complete this chair or get more info on it? I picked up the exact same style lat weekend so any help is appreciated.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

That was his one and only post back on Jan 8, 2013. Hasn't been seen since.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. Beekeeper1968

Beekeeper1968 New Member

I have one of these models complete and would be happy to share information or pictures...

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Welcome to the Den!

You're forcing us to beg for shave-related pics?!?! You're EVIL!! :D Just share the pics already!!!

7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

What he said^^^.

8. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

Good luck with the chair. I have had very little luck finding out much info on my Koken

9. Maybe I can help I own a few chairs (127)that are all American made or made for the American market all from the federal to late Victorian era...founding fathers of American chair. I have been restoring barber chairs for...28 years now and I have no employees and shop out only the welding or blacksmithing.
    So I you koken is made in the 1800s I may be able to help. I also have nearly every one of my personal chairs on loan to a few of the best barber museums in the country so I may get stumped but I know some curators that would welcome a test of there knowledge.
    Also I have restored chairs from say as late a as the 1970s and if you only have a mechanical problem I never charge for over the phone advice and DIY.
    I am actually just a couple years away now from publishing the first real do it yourself restoration guide book with pictures part numbers and tips to get a chair back on the floor earning its keep..
    I have reference books and manuals that only foundries had and manufacturing part reference boards..
    I wish I knew it all but I am trying to get into I have collected and the secrets of the chair repair guys out to public...the chair guys that do what I do are so crooked they are almost as bad as the worst auto mechanics..
    I put a pic of A few of my work horse chairs at the 3rd barber shop I owned and sold.
    Anyone want to ask about chair how to stuff text me (936)232-8698...
    If numbers not aloud my apologies.

Attached Files:

MattEPark and Billy Goatee like this.
  10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Wow, what a resource for those of you with BCAD.
    This will be interesting to watch!

11. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

Awesome!
    I've a Koken #138, and the only picture I have seen is from the 1904 World's Fair, a 12' working model.

I'm also looking for parts if you have any...
    I look forward to your project!

Enrico likes this.
  12. Beekeeper1968

Beekeeper1968 New Member

13. Beekeeper1968

Beekeeper1968 New Member

14. Beekeeper1968

Beekeeper1968 New Member

The gear/mechanism may be more accessible once the top portion of the chair comes off, but didn't have anyone to help me lift it when posting the pics.

15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs046: @Beekeeper1968 from western NY, glad you decided to join us at TSD.

16. MattEPark

MattEPark New Member

I just purchased a James Barker. Can't seem to find any information for it. The previous owner took the hydraulics and reclining mechanisms apart to make it safer for his kid when he bought it 30+ years ago. He wasn't exactly sure how to put it back together. So, I'm a little stuck. Wondering if you're still working on this project or available at the number you listed back in 2018. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Enrico likes this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Ok @MattEPark I dug a little up for you on your chair ..... maybe this will help you. Pics always help me

https://patents.google.com/patent/US1048274

https://patents.google.com/patent/US939655

https://patents.google.com/patent/US1036421

:eatdrink013: