Review of Stubble Trubble Up & Adam

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Norcalnewb, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I normally don't do soap reviews, but I have seen much on this soap here. Stubble Trubble is a Houston area shave soap maker who I met a couple of days ago. I got a couple of jars of his soap, and this is the first I tried out.

IMG_4480.JPG

Ingredients as listed on the label: Stearic Acid, Distilled Water, Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Olive Oil, Shea Butter, Sodium Hydroxide, Castor Seed Oil, Sodium Lactate, Sweet Almond Oil, Glycerin, Menthol, and Fragrance

Ease of Lather: This soap is probably a step behind the easiest soaps I have lathered, but not by much. I was a bit concerned seeing the olive oil in the ingredients, as I have always heard that olive oil can adversely affect lather. This does not seem to be the case here. It whips up pretty easily. On a short loading of the brush, I can get a nice volume of lather. Over all an A- here.

Quality of Lather: Stubble Trubble really shines here. The lather is thick and stable. There is plenty for three passes. It is also very slick, with a great residual slickness. I found that I was able to do a little buffing after a pass without need to reapply. The lather has a nice cushion to it as well. Here is my brush after my shave:

IMG_4481.JPG

And what was left:

IMG_4482.JPG

I would rate this soap an A+.

Post Shave Feel: I purposeful skipped the post shave balm I normally use just to see, and my skin feels great after this shave. Certainly, there is no irritation, but my skin is also soft and smooth. This soap is among the better performers I have come across. An A+.

Scent: I wasn't sure I would like the coffee scent when I first read about this soap, but it is great. It does smell like an espresso or latte. There is a nice vanilla scent that really develops during the lather. The lather is just great. I find myself smelling my brush during my shave. This is good solid A.

This soap comes in two versions a lightly mentholated and a non Mentholated. This is the lightly mentholated, and it is light. You get just a hint of it. So, if you want a heavy menthol kick, this is not your soap.

Overall, I am very impressed by this soap. I believe it will earn a spot in my top 5. The scent is top notch, and it is very protective. The soap maker is also a great guy who definitely has a passion for shaving and his business. I would recommend this soap to anyone looking to try something new. I give this a soap an A+.

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

@Norcalnewb Thank you taking the time to write the review. It does sound like a very nice soap. There are just so many artisan soaps.

Redfisher, Norcalnewb and Dzia Dzia like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Nice review, thank you. Another new soap I must not acquire...:rolleyes005:

Redfisher, Bobcat and Norcalnewb like this.
  4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Good write up. Looks like one to keep an eye out for.

Redfisher and Norcalnewb like this.
  5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I know the feeling. I honestly wasn't going to get any more soap, but since this was a local shop, I wanted to try it. I am glad I did.

Redfisher and clint64 like this.