Poll: Arko vs. Williams

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by DaltonGang, Nov 28, 2016.

?

Which do you prefer, if you had to choose between the two?

1. Arko

2. Williams

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@Primotenore have you been drinking or eating you're old deodorant container again :p

Primotenore likes this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I given that up. :)

SpeedyPC likes this.
  3. JeremyJ

JeremyJ New Member

Gonna have to go with William's myself. It's what my grandfather has always used and was the first soap I ever used to shave with.

Shaver X likes this.
  4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I buy Arko in puck form, cuz that's the way it's meant to be used;)

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    For the price, Arko can't be beat. Of that there can be no denying...but I keep returning to the bathroom. No, it's not my prostate! :happy097:

Shaver X, SpeedyPC and Spyder like this.
  6. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@Primotenore I'll be the judge of that. now drop you're pantsdown and bend over!! Don't be shy, try and smile at the camera :p:D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    Spyder likes this.
  7. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Arko for me, because I get better shaves from it than from Williams. Arko is also more convenient when travelling. Besides, Arko is still available. Williams is only available one local drugstore, and I don't think they have all that much left in stock.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I guess the Arko fans have it so far, 3 to 1 in favor of Arko.
    After reading threads regarding Arko and Williams, I thought for sure there were more Williams fans than that.
    I will say, that they are both very good soaps, that cost little. In reading posts regarding Williams soaps, it seems that Williams lathering ability is tied to water hardness. The harder the water, the harder it was to make good lather. The water I have around me is pretty hard, yet I can lather the Williams. But, to be fair, I've tried probably 50-60 different soaps and creams, and have had only a handful l couldn't get to lather well.

Bird Lives and SpeedyPC like this.
  9. mmaggi

mmaggi New Member

Arko but not by much. For the price they are both excellent performers.

SpeedyPC likes this.
  10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Hey man....I'm a big fan of Williams too...When I was a kid I had trouble lathering it, but this time around it is so easy to get great lather, I don't know WHAT was going on with me in the '70's...ha,ha!

But alas, having to pick one....I had to go with Arko....Arko I believe is the finest Shave Stick to be had...If they charged 10Xs as much for a stick :shocked003:, folks would love it as an exotic! But as is, it is unbelievably exquisite and a "more bank for the buck" lather maker you are not likely to find...

I sware....some days, I have visions of someone opening the door to my savecave and I come sliding out in a sea of lather; in black and white ala Chaplin...Arko is "Da Bomb":smiley respect:

Spyder and DaltonGang like this.
  11. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Neither one really tickles my fancy but if I had to choose it would be Arko. I also really like the Arko label - a classic. I hope they never change it.

12. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Williams, both vintage and modern.

13. Grick

Grick Active Member

I used Williams a few years ago. Amazing lather, amazing slickness and amazing stubble-softening. Did they come up with a new formula recently? Anyway, as much as I like the smell and the lather of the Arko, as far as the shave goes, the Arko just doesn't soften the stubble that well. I have to work harder to get rid of all the stubble and the razor strugges more than with the Williams or some other product.

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

My hero of the week!!

Grick, Zykris and PanChango like this.
  15. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

I don't know about the Williams puck (old or new) yet. But I picked up an old Williams Top Holder Stick, and it out performs the Arko stick by a long shot. The Williams applies to the face and lathers faster, with more substantial lather that has better slickness and protection. The only plus that Arko has is that is readily available over the Williams that is nearly 100 years old.

16. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

Palmolive.

RyX likes this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Off topic, yet pertinent. Palmolive is good cheap soap! Shavers in Europe ought to give it a try. Americans can get it shipped in for around two buck per stick.

Just recently picked up my first puck of Modern Williams. I didn't find it impossible to lather, nor did it dissipate as I was lead to believe. Maybe having heard the disappointing stories told by others, and the success tips shared by happy users brought me to the right time and place. It's acceptable and if I ever use up the puck I might buy another with the idea of shredding and adding an AS to tailor the scent.

Vintage Williams is a whole 'nother animal. I picked up 3/4's of a stick at an antique/thrift store. After scraping off the exposed end of the foil wrapped stick I've gotten very good lathers with exceptional slickness.

I'm still on my first stick of ARKO. Not being a face latherer I shredded it & packed into a small tub. It's a bit drying for the post shave feeling which works well if I've indulged in a meal like fried chicken. Being olfactrily challenged the scent is strong, but not off-putting. Should I get another stick I'd try shredding, airing out, and adding an AS or E.O. to fine tune the scent just to enjoy the other properties of the product.

brit and Screwtape like this.
  18. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

That depends on where you live. For me Arko is online-only, but Williams is $0.99USD/puck in a regional grocery chain. So Williams is easier to find and cheaper.

Good thing I prefer Williams, no?

wchnu, RyX and Paul Turner like this.
  19. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

You misread. I'm talking about Williams Top Holder Shave Sticks. Like this one below. I do not believe they have made this for some decades. Although they do come up from time to time, they are NOT readily available regardless of where you live. The only exception maybe being South Africa, however that was probably a different formula as well.

3.jpg

RyX and Screwtape like this.
  20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Would have to say Williams, as I have yet to try Arko, and Williams has been OK.

RyX likes this.