Do any shaving creams clog sinks?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by 7055, Oct 15, 2016.

1. 7055

7055 Active Member

I was unclogging my sink yesterday and in the middle of it all, it occurred to me that I thought I had once come across a post where somebody mentioned that Proraso has a tendency to clog sink drains. I use Proraso, so I wonder if maybe that's what happened. Anybody else have any problems with clogged sink that think it may be a result of their shaving cream?

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I think it's possible that it adds to the problem, but I just let hot water run for a little bit after shaving. It should help keep it clear longer.

3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Proraso certainly leaves a "film" on things after use. A lot of people do not use it for that reason alone.

I would say it is safe to say that it likely contributes to clogging over time.

By the way, which proraso do you use?

Carbide Mike likes this.
  4. 7055

7055 Active Member

I have been using the Proraso Red and Green lately

Carbide Mike likes this.
  5. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I think you may be right on the clogged sink issue. While mine have not. Logged yet... I've noticed that some soaps seem to "stick/cling" to the blade when you're trying to rinse it. Could see where this would happen in the drain too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike likes this.
  6. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

The way i see it, you have two options.

1) stick with the proraso. It is cheap and easily attainable, but it will leave film and clogged drains, as well as deprive you of better options.

2) look for better soaps that still have the qualities you like from proraso, but replace the negatives with positives. If you go this root, there are a lot of options. Proraso green is highly mentholated...so look fir sonething along those lines like caties bubbles mile high menthol or stirlings wintergreen. Proraso red is sandalwood, so look for something like Taylor of old bond street sandalwood or stirlings vanilla sandalwood.

brit and Carbide Mike like this.
  7. Suavemikey72

Suavemikey72 New Member

I have never found out. I was a plumber for 5 years and in the US there is a drain cleaning product called THRIFT. Use it once every 3 months in all your drains (not in toilets) and you won't have to worry about proraso clogging your drain.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

brit, Carbide Mike and Bama Samurai like this.
  8. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

OP, what what's the clog? Hair or soap or both? If it's soap hot water can help. If it's long hair you have to remove it mechanically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. simms623

simms623 Well-Known Member

I've been using Proraso (red & green) 95% of the time for over a year and haven't had any problems with the drain. I do use hot water and hand soap to get that film off my razor after every shave.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I think toothpaste is a bigger culprit after having removed the P-trap once. If you quit brushing your teeth there shouldn't be a problem.

Terry, brit, Carbide Mike and 5 others like this.
  11. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Most are fairly water soluble; should dissolve extensively.

Carbide Mike and Robyflexx like this.
  12. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

i know i get a bad residue in the sink from my soaps so I'm guessing yeah they probably contribute to it...

Carbide Mike likes this.
  13. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Never had a sink clog with just soap, hair is the main problem or any other solids that should not go in the drain.My daughters was always the worst and my wifes second worst. Probably the soap helps stuff stick but I had the problem long before using shave soap. I've cleaned some serious hair balls from drains over the years.

14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I noticed that certain facial soaps tend to clog a sink.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. Obrien

Obrien New Member

This has happened with me. I don't remember if it was Proraso or some other shaving cream but I remember the sink getting clogged and calling professional plumbers to get it unclogged. We had thought that it was due to the hair blocking the drain but turned out it wasn't. It was then that the plumbers told me about shaving creams clogging the sink. I make it a point to let the water flow for sometime after a shave.I guess it worked because we did not have a clogged sink after that.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  16. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5ยข

I suppose hard water could cause real soaps to precipitate out and coat the inside on the pipe. Detergent based "soaps" shouldn't have this problem. I think @crackstar is on to something in mentioning facial soaps. Proraso and some other creams contain moisturizer that might not be as water soluble. Most of the reason for my slow drain is hair accumulating, but the creams may facilitate that accumulation. I just don't know for sure.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  17. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

I use Proraso often. I would doubt that it is contributing anything more than any other soap, shave or hand to clogging the drain. Remember it's still just soap..........

Carbide Mike likes this.
  18. 7055

7055 Active Member

I dissagree, pulled my sink apart and it seems to collect right at the base of the drain of the sink, not at the S curve, and clogs up the sink.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  19. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Pre-shave oils can make this worse. They make a gummy mess that sticks in the trap.

brit and Carbide Mike like this.
  20. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

YMMV

Carbide Mike likes this.