Disposing of used double edged safety razor blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dark Vapor, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Gerry Canter

Gerry Canter Member

I use a piggy bank. I'm not sure what I'll do when its full, but I think it'll be a while before I have to worry about it.

2. Toypeu60

Toypeu60 New Member

I like used vitamin bottles then tape top and toss

3. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

I use an old vitamin bottle that has a flip top cap.

BamaT and Sara-s like this.
  4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

A flip top makes it nice & easy to drop the blades n. That's a good idea.

BamaT likes this.
  5. Marc Bagwell

Marc Bagwell Well-Known Member

You can buy blade banks for $4.85 from Amazon. That is the delivered price with Prime. Hope this helps.

6. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I throw mine in a used peanut butter jar.

Marc Bagwell likes this.
  7. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

A number of folks have already mentioned using an empty vitamin jar. I remove the label and keep it nearby my shave equipment. The flip top is just the right size to drop a spent blade through. This is a fairly small jar but I expect it to hold a couple years worth of blades. When full - if you are still concerned - then put a piece of duct tape over the top and toss it.
    Spent Blades.jpg

8. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I remember this bank from the old A&P where my mother shopped. I have a couple still. Yellow, Red, Black are the colors, I think and they work very well for coins and used blades. But, I would hate to dispose of the bank when full. Maybe find a suitable container at that time?

9. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I have the $1 blade bank...Maybe a bit more now as I got it a few years back.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Marc Bagwell likes this.
  10. Marc Bagwell

Wow!
    Never thought of that! You're right, it would be perfect, and your making the plastic jar do double duty so it's not just being dumped in the bin and filling up a landfill. Cool idea.

BamaT likes this.
  11. Marc Bagwell

A buck will do! Now I'm feeling like I got ripped by paying close to five bucks.

Matt0210 likes this.
  12. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I think the blade bank that I ordered was only $2. I bought it as an addition to other gear that I had already planned on buying, so shipping wasn't a consideration. It has a picture of a double edged blade on it so that it's not a hazard to anyone who handles it. After it's full, I plan on smashing the opening slot closed with a hammer and then tossing it in the recycling if my township allows it.

Marc Bagwell likes this.
  13. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

Used coke can. Mouth slot is just big enough to slip used blades. When it fills up, recycle it.

wristwatchb and Demidog like this.
  14. Marc Bagwell

Wow, interesting all the creative ideas people have come up with. I never thought of a coke can.

Matt0210 and Demidog like this.
  15. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

I cut a slot into the top of an empty Illy coffee container and use that. I have ~150 used blades in there so far, and am curious to see how long it'll take to fill up!

16. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

I used a cheap money tin can where kids cannot open at all unless they know how to used a can opener, look for a money tin only showing a money hole and nothing else is great way to used as a disposable double edged safety razor blades.

Best of all these cans showing below comes in different sizes and there very cheap to buy, and it takes many years to fill up easy peasy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  17. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I hope you guys recycle your used razor blades so the steel can be re-used. Go on, tell me you do.

18. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@dangermouse I always recycle. Here a simple math test..........Cheap easy money tin can (don't forget to sticky tape the money hole when it full) + disposable double edged blades = environmentally friendly council recycle bin [​IMG]

dangermouse, Matt0210 and Demidog like this.
  19. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Make your own. Buy a can of beef of chicken broth at the grocery store. Slit the top of the can and pour out the contents. Rinse and you have a very safe and secure blade depository that will hold a whole lot of blades. When it's full put a piece of tape across the slit and into the trash - safely. Also if you dislike the looks just spray paint the can your favorite color.

20. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Cut a slot in the lid, and it will hold a lifetime of used blades.

SpeedyPC and swarden43 like this.